2020 16" MacBook Pro (RP5600M) [9th,8C,H] + RX 6800 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core ...

Notifications
Clear all

2020 16" MacBook Pro (RP5600M) [9th,8C,H] + RX 6800 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + Win11  

RSS

Bryan Techguy
(@bryan_techguy)

Hey, I'm new around here, so if this is in the wrong place, or whatever...just move it, or let me know and I'll post it somewhere else...ya.

NOTE:  Don't plug your eGPU into the system until the procedure says so.  I perform the entire setup and configuration with it unplugged, and only plug it in at the last couple of steps.  I'll be explicit on when to plug it in, so you wont think you missed the step.

Resources

Specs

Procedure

As is typical with these builds, the procedure is a mixture of trial, error and rebooting.  It's entirely possible the steps to recreate my results are a random mixture of luck and timing, but I'll do my best to represent my process and how I got it all working.

Unlike a lot of the guides, I didn't want to have to disable updates, or put weird hacks in place.  For me, it needs to work like an every day computer (because that's how I use it).  I know, that the tinkering is half the fun in a lot of stuff like this.  I was a very involved follower to the hackintosh projects a few years ago.

Windows Install

• Install Windows 11 clean, using the bootcamp assistant. 
  • Boot Into Windows 11 and install the Apple Bootcamp Drivers / Software
    • It will probably mount an OXSRESERVED partition, which has the bootcamp software on it.  You'll need to look for Bootcamp\Setup file, run it right from there.
  • Fire up windows update, and install all the updates, then make sure you install all the optional updates for hardware / software as well from windows update.  This will take a remarkable number of reboots.
  • When that is all done, open the Apple Software Updater (not the bootcamp updater).  It's the one that looks like the iTunes updater, and do the 3 or 4 updates it requests.  One of them is going to give you a precision touchpad driver that you're going to appreciate if you're like me.  

At this point, you should be sitting with a stable windows 11 system.  If you arrived here and that's your goal, congrats, stop here and go enjoy your dual boot.

EFI Injection - apple_set_os v0.5 for Apple-T2

I liked the idea of Windows having the same ability as Mac, to scale back the graphics card to a lower power option, when on battery power...etc.  So I wanted the Intel 630 UHD to work as well as the Radeon 5600M.  I have this ability on my Microsoft Surface Book 3, so my "sync" settings for apps and such brought over the "higher performance" or "battery life" options for my apps from that device, but I needed both video cards.

Enter, the EFI injector - I guess, in some brilliant Apple wisdom, they disable the onboard chipset video card and only enable the dGPU during bootcamp loads.  If it detects it's loading the apple OS it'll enable both.  Conveniently there's some amazingly smart people out there, and we can trick the laptop into thinking it's booting into OSX and to enable both cards. 

This is the only part of the normal boot operation that's a little less than transparent to me, but I'm living with it.

On previous attempts, I knew I would have error 12 at different times, so this was a preemptive stem, and it also got both cards showing up in the device manager.  You should either have two Microsoft Generic Display Adapters, or possibly one Generic, and one Intel 630 (or your chipset card)

Download and Install Windows DCH Intel Drivers

When thats complete, you'll probably need to reboot the system at least once.  Remember when presented with the EFI Loader to PRESS ANY KEY.  If you don't it'll boot with the stock EFI Loader and wont enable the second card.  

When the system comes up, verify in the device manager that you've got a working Intel card.  It's possible that Windows at this point tried to download and install a driver for your AMD 5600m.  If it did, and it's working (no yellow bang) - then you can leave it this way.  If it's not working, there's a few extra steps.  This cleared up Code 12, and Code 43 for me on this particular card.

Open DDU and choose the AMD Graphics option.  You can choose any of the clean options, (reboot | shutdown | no reboot) - none of it really mattered.  I did receive a WHITE screen once on a non-reboot option, but it eventually came out of it on it's own.

After a DDU clean and reboot, install the RED EDITION drivers from BootCampDrivers.com

I typically select the "Factory Reset" portion of the install, but since it's just been cleaned with DDU, it's probably not necessary.  When the drivers are installed, and you've finished your reboots, check your device manager and see if you've got both working video cards.  If you do not, proceed to the next step. 

Download the AMD Stock drivers for Bootcamp from the AMD Website:

Unified Bootcamp Driver

When you're done downloading, once again open DDU and wipe out the AMD install, run the full clean and reboot.  After you've rebooted, (remembering to press a key during the EFI options screen) - install the unified driver, and select the factory reset option again, follow the reboots, and check device manager when it completes.

At this point, I had two working video cards, and the Radeon suite installed, and working.  Windows recognized everything, and could utilize both cards as necessary.  

eGPU Time

When you have a stable system with both internal video cards running, it's time to get your eGPU working.  At this step, sitting at the windows desktop with the device manager up, I plugged the eGPU in, just to see what would happen.  In about 15 seconds, It loaded a Generic Microsoft display adapter in the device manager.  

Without any reboots, I started the installation from AMD's Mac Pro install (note: Not Macbook Pro) - Download and install this driver

AMD Mac Pro Drivers

When they were done being downloaded, I installed them.  DO NOT select the factory reset option.  When the detection screen comes up, it should detect your AMD GPU and your internal dGPU. Go ahead and proceed with the install, and reboot.  You do not need to plug or unplug your eGPU at this point, just leave it plugged in.

When you arrive at the EFI injection screen, you should see 3 GPU's listed now.  If you don't; check the plug on your eGPU or unplug it and plug it back in, and reboot so you get back to the EFI injection screen.  Mine shows up like this.

[Please login to see this]

I press a key, and boot into windows.  When windows boots, open the device manager.  Most likely you'll see your three video cards listed, and possibly a Yellow Bang or two on your AMD cards.  Hot Unplug your eGPU and wait until windows recognizes it's gone.  Plug it into a thunderbolt port on the other side of the mac (either side, just opposite of where it was plugged in before).  Wait for it to detect, it will probably yellow-bang again, then unplug it, wait, and plug it back into the original port.  Your eGPU should now be available for use, you can verify it's all working correctly inside the AMD Radeon software by looking at the performance tab and seeing which GPU is being used, and what percentage.

My experience at this point is, I must boot each time with the EFI Injector, if I don't - my eGPU will yellow bang when in windows.  Most of the time when I plug the eGpu in, one of the internal cards will yellow bang, usually the other AMD Radeon card, which is fine.  I'm only interested in using a single 3d Accelerated card at a time, so when the eGPU is active, the other can be out of service.  Just make sure if this is your experience, that you have at least 1 other card in your pipeline that's working (if you're accelerating your laptop screen), or local LCD acceleration wont really work.

Hope this helps, if anyone has any questions, if part of this isnt clear, or if something changes with an update, I'll revisit this post and see if I can fix up the issues.

2020 16" MacBook Pro (RP5600M) [9th,8C,H] + RX 6800 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + Win11 [build link]  

Mini i5 liked
ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

@bryan_techguy, thank you for the info. Pls complete the build template if you'd like this to appear in the builds area.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 (Q M1000M) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @32Gbps-M.2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 1803 // compares M.2 vs TB3 performance inc unoptimized H-CPU BIOS [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Bryan Techguy
(@bryan_techguy)

Posted by: @itsage

@bryan_techguy, Internal display acceleration is not always the easiest when there's a dGPU. It's easier when the dGPU and eGPU are different brands. I think having an Nvidia eGPU will allow your MacBook Pro to have a functional Radeon dGPU which then allow the internal display acceleration to work.

I believe that’s what I’m running into now.  Windows 11 support for eGPU’s is pretty good.  It detects the enclosures, generally doesn’t have an issue with Hot / Cold plugging, and I haven’t BSOD’ed it yet, despite all my screwing around.

Skip down to TLDR Version if you don’t care about the description of the issue and my assumptions. 

Here’s the problem:  The internal card is the Radeon 5600M, and I’ve only ever gotten it to work off one set of drivers in windows 11.  It needs the unified AMD R series blue drivers from the AMD Website.  AMD > Drivers and Support > Graphics > Mac Graphics > Bootcamp. 

HTTPS://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/apple-boot-camp

This driver doesn’t have support in it for the 6800 XT…so I have to attempt to run two different driver versions, one for the 6800 and one for the 5600M.  

In my build guide, I was able to get the 6800 working, without Error 12 without too much issue, but what I didn’t realize was that the Internal iGPU (intel 630) cant be accelerated by the GPU, or I don’t know how to do it.  I had both the intel and the 6800 working in device manager.  

This was further confused by GeekBench 5.  In the OpenCL and the Vulkan Compute (GPU) tests, it can utilize the 6800 for; what I now assume are 3d computations in an internal simulation.  It gets crazy high numbers (but appropriately high), just like it’s being used by the system, but GeekBench is writing directly to it, and not requesting true 3d rendering.  

Running 3dMark with the same setup (29.95 on steam) gave me a much better picture (literally) of what was working and what wasn’t.  The 3d tests were higher on my dGPU than on my eGPU and my iGPU together (because it was just the iGPU I’m now seeing)

TLDR version: 

Since I’m not able to figure out how to use two separate drivers in Windows 11 for the two AMD cards (dGPU 5600M) and (eGPU RX 6800 XT) - I currently cant use my eGPU in windows to any real affect.  

Anyone know how I can resolve the drivers issue here?  It’s not an error 12.  Usually it’s a 31, sometimes a 43 and it’s always on the dGPU when I’m able to get the eGPU working in device manager (with nothing to accelerate since my dGPU isn’t working)

Thanks in advance!

2020 16" MacBook Pro (RP5600M) [9th,8C,H] + RX 6800 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + Win11 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin
Builds: 155

@bryan_techguy, The trick for Radeon dGPU and eGPU is the use a modified set of drivers from bootcampdrivers.com. That way both the dGPU and eGPU and run on the same drivers. It's not always going to work though because sometimes the dGPU may get deprioritized during boot and error out (code 43).

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2021 14" Microsoft Surface Laptop Studio [11th,4C,H] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (WD_Black D50) + Win11 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Bryan Techguy
(@bryan_techguy)

@itsage, I feel like I've attempted that several times.  My dGPU seems to only like the Unified driver from AMD.  Even if I boot stock bootcamp with no eGPU or bootloader or anything, and install the bootcampdrivers.com version, it appears not to drive the 5600m.  I'll give it another shot though just to make sure.  I've got a stable system with good restore points so I'll report back.

Do you know if there's a more stable / preferred version out there?  I've been working with the Win11 October edition

ReplyQuote
Bryan Techguy
(@bryan_techguy)

Posted by: @bryan_techguy

Do you know if there's a more stable / preferred version out there?  I've been working with the Win11 October edition

I think I just answered my own question:

I believe what this is saying...is that the 5600is no longer supported in the newer drivers catchall.  Its supported in the Unified driver, but not the optional Adrenaline version, is that what your take on it is too?

ReplyQuote
Bryan Techguy
(@bryan_techguy)

Ok, after much playing around, reinstalling and rebooting more times than I can count - this ended up being a crazy easy setup.  

I tried with Windows 1903, 20h1, and others....Windows 11 is WAY easier.

Steps:

1. Install Windows 11 Via Bootcamp
  2. Update your system, install Apple Updates, Windows Updates, etc.
  3. Install the apple_set_os.efi injector to your boot.
  4. Restart the system.  eGPU attached.  
  5. Blow away all the AMD drivers that were installed by bootcamp, windows update, whatever using DDU.
  6. Download the MAY 2021 drivers from bootcampdrivers.com https://nextcloud.tomas-g.de/index.php/s/4ibJ5x5ytoG2T2n/download/Win10-Radeon-Adrenalin-May2021-BootCamp-Red-Edition.zip
  7. Install, reboot...you're done.  You should have all three of your working display cards and no unknown items in the device manager.

If after a reboot, you're eGPU is throwing an error 12 for some reason (mine does about every 10th boot), then pull it's thunderbolt, plug it into the ports on the other side of the macbook, wait for detection.  Return the thunderbolt back to the original port.  It should be detected and no conflicts when it's initialized in the original thunderbolt spot.

@itsage - Thanks for a few of the tech tips on this one.  It lead me to the AH-HA moment.

Boot with the eGPU cable plugged into port 1 - if required because in windows you're seeing an error 12, while windows is running, hot unplug your TB cable, hot-plug it into port 3.  When it's recognized, hot unplug it and put it back into port 1 when it's detected it should not have error 12 anymore, if you're booting your EFI correctly.

itsage liked
ReplyQuote