Windows 11 eGPU on MBP 16" 2019 5500M - how do I make this work?

Notifications
Clear all

Windows 11 eGPU on MBP 16" 2019 5500M - how do I make this work?  

of  2
  RSS

Erik Tank
(@erik_tank)
Trusted Member

I have struggled with the windows 10 eGPU setup in the past.  I have a Mantiz Saturn Pro eGPU with AMD 5700xt Red Devil.  I desperately wanted to run the latest version of windows for mixed reality compatibility in the past and ultimately gave up and stuck with the 1903 v1 method and blocking all windows updates.  

To be clear, I was able to get the Win10 1909 and 2004 versions running once in a while by using the special efi boot file using the clover configurator 2 program to enable the intel graphics, use DDU to uninstall the drivers, and then update the drivers with standard AMD drivers.  But it was so hit or miss and unreliable - I spent more time trying to get it to boot than actually using the computer.  Sometimes the left, right, left cable hop would work - sometimes I would have to unplug it after efi post (when windows logo appears, unplug) and plug it back in while windows was logging into my desktop, etc.  But it wasn't reliable or consistent.  So I stuck with 1903 v1 which I can literally just boot up into windows without the efi patch (which boots in 8 seconds vs 39 seconds with the efi boot file).  No cable/port swapping or hot plugging - just boots up and works. 

For a while I tried the 2004 version of windows and tried using every version of the 1903 v1 pci.sys file I could find under the sun and it always BSOD, or saying incompatible windows version, etc.

So - I see some users in here have had success with running windows 11 on their macs - but they don't have the same resource limitations that the 2019 16" MBP with 5500M AMD dGPU in it.  From what I gather, I see more difficulty with the 16" MBP with dGPU than other systems with only intel and such.

I was able to follow the guide on here (thanks @itsage) to get my bootcamp upgraded from windows 10 to windows 11 with the reg tweak and dll file replacement.  Pretty easy stuff.  But now I'm stuck with the same old problems of not having a reliable boot method.  I know it IS possible - as I DID get it to work ONCE with my three 4K monitors AND my laptop screen open (however closing my screen did not disable my laptop screen so that was buggy too).  

The way I was able to accomplish it was to use the special bootx64.efi file to enable the intel card and 5500M card in windows - used DDU to uninstall the drivers and TRIED to install the latest AMD drivers only to have it fail because AMD drivers for windows 10 don't apparently work (supposedly) in windows 11.  I have another PC with a 6900xt in Win11 and I cannot use the drivers from AMD's site there either on win11 (have to use windows updates for drivers). 

The way I got the egpu working was by going into device manager after the DDU/restart and selecting the C:\AMD\ folder and letting windows search for good drivers.  It found the 5700xt, prompted to reboot, used the efi boot process and hot plugged it - upon startup it did not work - I tried a second time and upon plugging in the egpu a good few seconds AFTER my desktop showed up (instead of during the login screen which had the best luck in the past) it sprang to life!  The MBP's built in monitor would not turn off, but at least I had a few good hours of playing around in windows 11 on my mac.  

Does anyone else have a MBP 2019 16" w/5500M dGPU you can help share any tips or tricks to get this working?  I'd really appreciate it - even if I have to start over with a fresh copy of windows.  

2019 16" MBP - i9 - 32GB - 5500M 8GB - 1TB SSD w/eGPU Mantiz Saturn Pro + RX 5700 XT OC

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@erik_tank, I have not tried Windows 11 on 2019 16-in MacBook Pro, but can tell you AMD drivers work on W11 in my other PC laptops and desktops just fine. The errors you received are likely due to the Radeon Pro dGPU. I would recommend using the modified drivers from bootcampdrivers.com so that both the dGPU and eGPU can work with one set of drivers.

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2021 13" ASUS ROG Flow X13 (RTX3050Ti) [R5K,8C,H] + RTX 3080 @ 64Gbps-XG (XG Mobile) + Win10 20H2 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Erik Tank
(@erik_tank)
Trusted Member

@itsage, Thanks itsage.  I will give those drivers a try next.  I'm eager to get this working.  Do you think the only way to get rid of the error code 12 is to use the modified efi boot file?  Is hotswapping the only way?  Or is there some other method of disabling other system resources to get just the eGPU to work?  I'd honestly be fine with disabling my dGPU if possible since I run the macbook closed and use three 4K monitors off the eGPU anyway.  I just wasn't sure if it was even possible to somehow free up the resource conflicts by simply disabling hardware or such in device manager to allow eGPU native functionality... 

2019 16" MBP - i9 - 32GB - 5500M 8GB - 1TB SSD w/eGPU Mantiz Saturn Pro + RX 5700 XT OC

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@erik_tank, With Apple T2 Security chip Macs, I always use the modified apple_set_os.efi v0.5 boot loader. Any version other than Win10 V1 1903 doesn't work very well with eGPU hot-plug. You can try disabling the PCI Express Controller to the dGPU and see if that helps.

2021 13" ASUS ROG Flow X13 (RTX3050Ti) [R5K,8C,H] + RTX 3080 @ 64Gbps-XG (XG Mobile) + Win10 20H2 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Tem990
(@tem990)

I have the same MBP, but i i’m running windows 10 V1909 in my internal SSD, but i’m wondering if i can install Windows 11 in external SSD ?

or can MBP handle 2 windows OS ?

i actually don’t want do delete all the files i download it to windows it took my a while.

if you have experience in that area please share it so i can give it a try and report it, and i don’t know if its useful for you since i use Nvidia in my eGPU, but maybe it will help someone and me as well.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Koray G
(@koray_g)

@tem990

https://egpu.io/forums/bootcamp/macbook-pro-16-windows-egpu-error-12-fix/

K.G

ReplyQuote
Tem990
(@tem990)

@koray_g, Thanks for that.

I’m aware of this solution but actually V1903 is much easier. you just load to windows, plug and play, no need for (left-right-left) dance.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

I tried Windows 11 on the 2019 16-in MacBook Pro in the past week. Unfortunately I was not able to resolve error 12 (AMD cards) on it through different workarounds.

ReplyQuote
ubeeubee
(@ubeeubee)

My preliminary experiments was a success, installing Windows 11 to external SSD  and without uninstalling anything with DDU, just a modified bootx64.efi (no registry hack, no error 12).  No need to do the L-R-L, though unplug when the Windows logo came and replug it again to the same Left-far thunderbolt port helps.

MacBook Pro 16 2019, Core X, 2080 Super. 

ReplyQuote
Erik Tank
(@erik_tank)
Trusted Member

@ubeeubee, Can you kindly confirm which build running winver.exe for me?

I am not able to get mine to work like that - but I CAN get it to work with the port dance L-R-L - however my laptop display will not turn off and I DID have to do the bootx64.efi as well as DDU and install the latest AMD drivers.  (At the time I think it was WHQL)

I'm curious if anything has changed with the newer builds of win 11 (new drivers too) which might alleviate the port dance... 

Also - could you confirm if you have the AMD 5500M with 8GB of memory?

ReplyQuote
 of  2