Notifications
Clear all

Windows 2004 Bootcamp on Mac Mini + RX5700XT  

of  3
  RSS

Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Reputable Member

Out of curiosity, I updated my old copies of Windows (1809) and Bootcamp to the latest versions. 

I also ran DDU to un-install the old AMD graphics driver for my setup.

I'm finding the Windows 2004 update to run smoothly. But it does result in Code 12 (not enough available resources) as soon as my EGPU is hot plugged.

Because of Code 12, the Adrenelin 20.5.1 software installer runs until complete, then gives an (Oops, something went wrong) error message that Windows has detected a problem with the eGPU. The latest AMD driver is installed, though.

I only run Mac versions of GPU-accelerated software and games. So this is not a hindrance for me.

Just putting this info out there on the off-chance someone might be interested. 😏

2018 Mac Mini i5 / 6-core 3.0-4.1 Ghz / 32GB / 256GB / Intel UHD 630 / PowerColor Gaming Station / PowerColor dual-fan RX5700 XT / Mac OS 10.15.5 Catalina / Windows 2004 😏 / LG 27" 4K display

ReplyQuote
Muscovite
(@muscovite)

Same here.  Code 12 all the way 🙁  Could you do me a favor -  please post Unigine Valley and/or Heaven Benchmark results?  My RX590 is reporting better scores than my 5700XT.  Thanks.

Mac mini (2018) / 3,2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7 / 64GB / 1TB + LG Ultrafine 5K + Sonnet eGFX 550
Sapphire Nitro+ RX 5700 XT (plug and play in macOS Catalina 10.15.5, IMPOSSIBLE in Bootcamp Windows, no matter the version)
Sapphire Pulse__RX 580 8GB (plug and play in macOS Catalina 10.15.5, WORKS cold-plugged after a shutdown on Windows 2004

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Reputable Member

@muscovite

Apple hasn't touched Open GL in years. Mac OS is all about Metal.

Use the Basemark GPU Metal benchmark. Your Nitro+ should score 6300 or higher.

2018 Mac Mini i5 / 6-core 3.0-4.1 Ghz / 32GB / 256GB / Intel UHD 630 / PowerColor Gaming Station / PowerColor dual-fan RX5700 XT / Mac OS 10.15.5 Catalina / Windows 2004 😏 / LG 27" 4K display

ReplyQuote
Jasper Happensprat
(@jasper_happensprat)

I am equally disappointed with the the new Win 10 2004 release. Code 12 persists. I am at a loss to understand how some of the fast ring pre releases actually worked and yes I did the bootcampdrivers.com tricks. I wanted to sim race game on my 2018 mac mini. Both F1 2017 and Dirt4 work a treat on OSX Catalina 10.15.5 with my RX 5700 XT eGPU. Anyway early days with the new Win 10 2004 release.

Perhaps I should add that I did have bootcamp working well with the 1903 version of Win 10. However I did notice that the Mac Mini was running very hot, averaging close to100C whilst under load, gaming.

Muscovite here are my benchmarks as requested. Just remember I have an i5 and 8gb ram.

Valley        Heaven

FPS           29.7          30.1

Score       1242           758

Min FPS     6.7            7.8

Max FPS   61.4         61.8

Render  Open GL

Mode  1920 x 1080

Preset  =  Custom

Quality  = Ultra

Tessellation  = Extreme

I hope you find the info useful.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Reputable Member

I took another look at the Windows 2004 update in Bootcamp.

I tried the usual assortment of tricks to clear Error Code 12. I disabled PCI Express Root Ports and a handful of other devices in Windows Device Manager. 

Still, version 2004 was unable to find enough free resources to get my eGPU running.

Hot-plugging at the Windows desktop, and timed hot-plugging during the spinning circle at start-up immediately result in Code 12.

Cold-plugging prevents booting at all. Instead, a black screen with periodic flashes of the Windows logo and streaks of colors ensues. Windows fails to boot, even after a 20 minute wait.

I tried another round of running DDU followed by a fresh installation of the new Adrenalin driver. 

No change. Code 12 appears as soon as the eGPU is hot-plugged.

ReplyQuote
Jasper Happensprat
(@jasper_happensprat)

From what I recall with the successful bootcamp install of 1903, windows found the RX 5700 XT eGPU and downloaded the AMD driver which I removed and replaced with the bootcampdrivers.com adrenaline april release. Interestingly 2004 did not find my RX 5700 XT egpu at all. But while unable to identify my Radeon GPU as such, device manager did show another display adapter was connected and assigned Microsoft basic driver to it and with code 12 shown. So far no workarounds.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Reputable Member

Bootcamp Windows 2004 won't boot at all with an AMD 5700XT eGPU connected to my Mini.

Hot-plugging after boot-up, Windows 2004 won't allocate my eGPU sufficient resources.

So, Microsoft hasn't improved eGPU setup for the general user. In fact it seems clear they are preventing it.

Tonight, further rounds of testing showed that on the T2 chip Mac Mini, setting Mac OS Recovery Startup Security to "No Security" and "Allow booting from external media" provides no benefit.

Bootcamp Windows 2004 keeps my eGPU blocked. 🙅‍♂️ 

ReplyQuote
Christian Prinoth
(@christian_prinoth)

I am still on 1903, so not sure if my answer applies, but in my experience the "not booting with egpu cold plugged because of colored gibberish" is solved only with the efi boot hack. And even with that, the egpu is recognized by the bios only if no display is connect directly to the egpu.

so in order to use the egpu, I have to use only hdmi loopback output. I never get error 12 with cold-plugged egpu, but I do get it always if I hotplug it.

2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX 580 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Jimmy
(@badtz)
Eminent Member

@mini-i5

pci.sys replacement method works for me. Need to replace it twice. 
Before AMD software installation and after installation.

MBP 2018 13" i5 512GB Touch Bar (MR9R2)
Aorus Gaming Box RX580
Mantiz Venus, Red Devil 5700XT

2018 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 + Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Muscovite
(@muscovite)

@mini-i5, Thanks, makes sense now.  Scored 6266 when it was working (

the RX580 had scored significantly higher in Metal Geekbench 4 Compute, too, for whatever reason, but whatever.

The pre-release 2004 did work occasionally, the official 2004 release killed it all.  I could not get it to work on any port, cold/hotplugged, PCI Bus uninstall, etc - no matter what I tried..

So I says screw this and cram the 5700 XT into my Mac Pro 5,1 - upgraded to Catalina (no 5700 XT drivers in Mojave)... and the darn thing works beautifully both in unsupported Catalina and unsupported Bootcamp Windows 10.

Funny how a 10-year old machine has none of the problems that a 6 month old one does.  Same Bootcamp Windows, same card... Oh well.

So now that I put the Sapphire Pulse RX 580 back into the eGPU... it works.  Latest Windows 2004.  I did disable the 16x PCIe on the Mini (just in case, not sure if it helps at all), and I think I must still use the modified set_apple_os just to be see something if the 580 is not recognized, but it works 70% of the time cold-plugged option-booting into Windows after a soft restart from macOS (no Code 12, just not recognized at all cold plugged).

When it does not, a shutdown and an option-boot into Windows gets it running.

So I guess the 5700XT is a very demanding card for the Mini.  macOS can and does get it right, but Windows cannot.

So I am done with this I think.  Finally Smile

This post was modified 1 month ago

Mac mini (2018) / 3,2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7 / 64GB / 1TB + LG Ultrafine 5K + Sonnet eGFX 550
Sapphire Nitro+ RX 5700 XT (plug and play in macOS Catalina 10.15.5, IMPOSSIBLE in Bootcamp Windows, no matter the version)
Sapphire Pulse__RX 580 8GB (plug and play in macOS Catalina 10.15.5, WORKS cold-plugged after a shutdown on Windows 2004

ReplyQuote
 of  3