Windows 2004 Bootcamp on Mac Mini + RX5700XT

Notifications
Clear all

Windows 2004 Bootcamp on Mac Mini + RX5700XT  

of  3
  RSS

Jasper Happensprat
(@jasper_happensprat)

For the information of others, whilst I gave up on the RX5700XT in my Razer Core X, I swapped it out for a RTX 2080 Super and have had no problems whatsoever using it in bootcamp. Of course the RTX 2080 Super is not recognised in OSX Catalina. Most of the sucess stories on here, rely on tricks, blocking updates, old pci_sys, dances, etc, all of which may get windows 10 to work for a session or two, but as a long term solution, good luck with that. Disaster is only an update away.  

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

hans-st. liked
ReplyQuote
Aaron Robinson
(@aaron_robinson)

I followed same steps with a 5600XT and it works perfectly, HUGE upgrade.  Running games at 4k 60Hz and 1440p 120Hz with FreeSync.  I leave the iGPU plugged into a side monitor, and it turns off in Windows but otherwise everything functions with no additional work after setup.

This post was modified 1 month ago

Mac Mini 2018 i7 32GB + Razer Core X + Sapphire Pulse 5600 XT OC + LG 43" 4K IPS + Samsung 65" RU8000 4K TV + 24" Dell UltraSharp (iGPU)

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Reputable Member

@aaron_robinson

Yep, the 5600XT has evolved into a nice card. It kinda hits the sweet spot for price and performance, especially in a dual boot Mac / Windows setup.

2018 Mac Mini i5 / 6-core 3.0-4.1 Ghz / 32GB / 256GB / Intel UHD 630 / PowerColor Gaming Station / PowerColor dual-fan RX5700 XT / Mac OS 10.15.6 Catalina / Windows 2004 😏 / Dual LG 27" 4K displays

ReplyQuote
0Badger0
(@0badger0)

@mini-i5, Hi..... 🙂 

I'm not a Windows systems guy, but I've been trying to make this part work.

In Windows 2004, I navigated to the Windows\System32\Drivers folder, right-clicked and selected "Properties", and then the "Security" tab.

From there, I changed the name of the "Owner" of the Drivers folder to my user name.

Then I assigned my user name "Full Control" in Basic Permissions.

I'm not sure how to change the username of "Owner".  My listing shows "Operator Owner" (same thing?)

... and I've been trying to find where I can EDIT that name to mine?

Sorry .. too many years on MAC OSX .. been a long time since I hunted around in Windows.

Could you clarify (expand)on the steps for me?

Thanks

Regards,

Doug

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Reputable Member

@0badger0

I used this guide to help me.

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/take-ownership-folder-windows-10-using-file-explorer

It’s not based on the latest version, which is 2004, but it’s pretty close. 

2018 Mac Mini i5 / 6-core 3.0-4.1 Ghz / 32GB / 256GB / Intel UHD 630 / PowerColor Gaming Station / PowerColor dual-fan RX5700 XT / Mac OS 10.15.6 Catalina / Windows 2004 😏 / Dual LG 27" 4K displays

0Badger0 liked
ReplyQuote
0Badger0
(@0badger0)

Posted by: @mini-i5

@0badger0

I used this guide to help me.

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/take-ownership-folder-windows-10-using-file-explorer

It’s not based on the latest version, which is 2004, but it’s pretty close. 

Thanks partner.... Smile

That looks very detailed and helpful.

I'll give it another try.

ReplyQuote
 of  3