Windows trouble: Mid 2017 13" MacBook Pro - Radeon RX 5700 XT - Windows 10 1903 ...

Notifications

[Solved] Windows trouble: Mid 2017 13" MacBook Pro - Radeon RX 5700 XT - Windows 10 1903 v1  

RSS

RA619H
(@ra619h)

Hi all, 

I have my Razer Core X Chroma running with a PowerColor Radeon RX 5700 XT and it works great under MacOS Catalina. I'm having tons of trouble getting the eGPU to work under Windows. I'm open to all thoughts.

Here is what I've tried: 

• Remove the GPU and boot with the Core X 
    • This works and appears under Windows Device Manager
    • I was able to install and configure the Razer software 
  • XFX Radeon RX 5700 XT THICC III Ultra vs PowerColor RX 5700 XT
    • Issues with both cards. I purchased the PowerColor card as it's a reference model. This did not help.
    • Both GPUs operate fine under MacOS Catalina
  • I can't boot to Windows with the Thunderbolt cable installed. The windows logo appears and the screen goes fuzzy. 
  • I was able to boot once while plugging in eGPU during the boot process
    • I then installed the Radeon drivers and then was not able to boot into windows
      • My external display was live before the automated reboot
      • I'm currently going through a clean install of Win10 1903
  • I've attempted to install DCH drivers 
    • TBT_WIN10_64_DCH_58.zip

Thanks for any help. Let me know if I need to dig up any logs. 

Mid 2017 13" MacBook Pro - Radeon RX 5700 XT - Windows 10 1903 v1 - MacOS Catalina

MacBookPro14,2

ReplyQuote
Topic Tags
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@ra619h automate-eGPU EFI is your answer. I have a 2017 13″ MacBook Pro that I boot into Windows 10 with Radeon eGPU connected without issues. It even works with the latest 1909 Windows 10 versions. Here’s my build link to 2017 13″ MacBook Pro + Mantiz Venus + RX 5700 XT eGPU. Make sure you use one the left side Thunderbolt 3 ports for full bandwidth.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

ReplyQuote
RA619H
(@ra619h)

@itsage

Ah sorry I thought this was a newer version of the same solution. I booted off of the EFI solution earlier and it next detected my eGPU. I hot swapped to all 4 ports and tried to boot with it plugged in. Let me give it another go.

I tried removing the DP cable and hot plugging the eGPU and then reconnecting the monitor with no luck - Mentioned here

The eGPU setup still works under Catalina. When I plug in the tbolt cable after booting into automate-eGPU EFI I can see the enclosure lights come on and then the GPU fan spins normally. I've tried all 4 ports. 

I'm currently trying the "automate-eGPU EFI v1.0.5 Installer" route 

update: Still stuck with eGPU EFI not detecting my eGPU 🙁 

Currently trying to resolve this by flushing kextcaches, SMC, nvram

Here are a few screenshots to help diagnose. I feel like I'm missing something very simple. I'm considering trying drivers from https://www.bootcampdrivers.com/

I never boot into Windows with the TBT3-UDV Docking Station plugged in. 

This post was modified 2 months ago

Mid 2017 13" MacBook Pro - Radeon RX 5700 XT - Windows 10 1903 v1 - MacOS Catalina

MacBookPro14,2

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

I have the same MacBook and all I need is the efi bootloader, it never says it detects the eGPU for me either but that doesn’t effect anything really. 
boot up using EFI bootloader, instal drivers, done. 
@itsage is the latest windows worth upgrading to? I’m on 1809 but somehow lost 40gb of space so thinking about a fresh install. 

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

ReplyQuote
RA619H
(@ra619h)

@eightarmedpet

Any chance this might be an issue with the Core Chroma? I might try out the standard Core. 

MacBookPro14,2

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

@ra619h

Very unlikely, the only real difference with enclosures is if they have ti82 or ti83 TB3 chips, and everything after the V1 Core has ti83.

The Windows version may be the issue, itsage didn't have as many problems (prob because he is smarter) than me but I had a nightmare with 1903 and as a result swerve it. Apple bootcamp drivers had issues installing and I would get system corrupting BSOD when I plugged in ANY TB3 peripheral.

When I set up I use an old 1607 ISO (here) and then upgrade to 1809 but stop after that.

If you can manage it I'd try a new install with a different windows build.

---

RA619H liked
ReplyQuote
RA619H
(@ra619h)

Final update for the night. Windows 10 1607 does not let me launch any AMD installer but picks up the enclosure on hot swap. I'll try 1809 tomorrow. 

Thanks all for the help. 

MacBookPro14,2

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

@ra619h

what time zone are you? I'm GMT, happy to "live" help on Discord if its of use... I'm about most of Wednesday.

---

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

Newer Windows 10 versions actually work better on the 2017 13″ MacBook Pro. Similar to what @eightarmedpet had experienced, the first few version of 1903 actually caused a lot of headaches (boot loop when Radeon drivers were installed). Unlike other Macs and some PC suffering error 12 issues with Win10 versions newer than 18362.295, the 2017 13″ MacBook Pro likes those versions better. I’ve tried different AMD eGPUs with it too and it has worked very consistent with automate-eGPU EFI boot loader.

RA619H liked
ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

@itsage

did you have to disable any TB3 controllers? I know you love to but you know I can't... 😉 

Any more instances of error 43? That kinda popped up out of nowhere but haven't seen much more about it.

---

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@eightarmedpet No PCI Express Root Port disablement at all. Error 43 was never an issue either. I always use DDU each time I switch TB3 enclosure or graphics card to make sure I reset the drivers as well as PCIe connection association with the previously used eGPU. The one prerequisite is eGPU connected prior to boot. I believe you’ve had more success with rEFInd which should work the same way as automate-eGPU EFI.

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

@itsage cheers for the reply! Good to hear you didnt need to disable anything, think I will do a clean instal with Window 1909 this eve has Windows has somehow lost about 59GB of space (75GB partition with only 10GB spare despite only having Steam and Discord installed).

I wonder if my 5700xt was actually just faulty (was never able to pop it in a PC to check).

---

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

@ra619h

The 5700XT is listed in EFI on the line that says "GPU(s)" as 0x1002 0x731f  - the vendor and device ID shown in the macOS screenshot.
The eGPU not detected line can be ignored.

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
RA619H
(@ra619h)

Posted by: @eightarmedpet

@ra619h

what time zone are you? I'm GMT, happy to "live" help on Discord if its of use... I'm about most of Wednesday.

I'll give it another shot this evening but if that doesn't work I can block off time Wednesday. I'm PST. 

Thanks @eightarmedpet

Posted by: @joevt

@ra619h

The 5700XT is listed in EFI on the line that says "GPU(s)" as 0x1002 0x731f  - the vendor and device ID shown in the macOS screenshot.
The eGPU not detected line can be ignored.

@joevt - Ah I see it now! The instructions are a bit fuzzy here. Do I now hit Q then select Windows? 

It locks up when I select windows here but like @joevt mentioned egpu efi does detect the 2nd GPU on the previous screen. 

Do I need to specify the UUID for the Bootcamp drive in the EFI config? 

MacBookPro14,2

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

@ra619h

This is a common problem - hanging after selecting Load Windows.

You can boot into macOS, mount the EFI partition where you installed automate-eGPU EFI, and look at the debug log at

/Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/misc/debug.log

In the debug.log file, the start of the last boot is at the last instance of "MemLog inited".

To get a debug.log, you'll need to set the Debug flag in the config.plist if it isn't already set. You can edit the file manually with a text editor or a plist editor (Xcode?) or you can use a command line

plutil -replace Boot.Debug -bool true /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/config.plist

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

RA619H liked
ReplyQuote
RA619H
(@ra619h)

Posted by: @joevt

@ra619h

This is a common problem - hanging after selecting Load Windows.

You can boot into macOS, mount the EFI partition where you installed automate-eGPU EFI, and look at the debug log at

/Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/misc/debug.log

In the debug.log file, the start of the last boot is at the last instance of "MemLog inited".

To get a debug.log, you'll need to set the Debug flag in the config.plist if it isn't already set. You can edit the file manually with a text editor or a plist editor (Xcode?) or you can use a command line

plutil -replace Boot.Debug -bool true /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/config.plist

Thanks for the help - I had no idea where to look for log files and windows 10 doesn't have a verbose mode. 

I finally understand why everything breaks once the AMD drivers are installed. It disables the iGPU on-board. I need to get the eGPU detected but not installed.

I just nuked my windows partition. Currnetly installing "Win10_1809_English_x64". I'm going to boot from the egpu efi and verify that both GPUs are active prior to installing AMD drivers

Also thanks for showing me how to use plutil. It's been clutch. 

Looking pretty good after installing the latest version of Windows. I need to figure out how to get automate-eGPU EFI to boot Windows. It did not spit out any log files. I double checked the plist file for the debug flag. 

I'm going to recreate my USB automate-eGPU EFI drive. 

A quick update - automate-eGPU EFI does not boot any OS with or without the EGPU. Troubleshooting this issue now. 

Confirmed that boot security is disabled: 

MacBookPro14,2

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

Aren't there couple of things you need to turn off to get the bootloader to work, is it file vault and secure boot? 

You could also try rEFInd if you can't get the EFI boot loader working for whatever reason.

Heres my refund install files: https://www.dropbox.com/s/e1w4id31yy7glim/refind.zip?dl=0

And instal steps:

How to Mount EFI and "bless" rEFInd (allow it to manage boot)

In terminal:

• sudo mkdir /Volumes/ESP

(terminal asks for your password)

• sudo mount -t msdos /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/ESP

Then put put the rEFInd folder in the EFI folder (see screenshot).

• sudo bless --mount /Volumes/ESP --setBoot --file /Volumes/ESP/efi/refind/refind_x64.efi --shortform

---

RA619H liked
ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

@ra619h

There might be a problem with using plutil. It converts <array></array> to <array/>. Same for <dict/>. automate-eGPU EFI might have a bug dealing with those. So you might have to manually convert them back to <array></array> and <dict></dict>.

I can't get automate-eGPU EFI to boot macOS. But I have gotten it to boot Windows.

There is a bug when booting macOS. In the debug.log, the ScanVolumes section lists the device paths of all the disks, partitions (HD*GPT), and APFS partitions (VenMedia*). The third from last line (after call LoadMacOS()) says "Device path str:" and then the device path of the Preboot partition of my internal hard drive's APFS partition containing Catalina (compare last 12 characters of the VenMedia node with the output of "diskutil list -all" to find which APFS partition the VenMedia device node refers to). After that, is supposed to be the path of the macOS boot.efi file in the Preboot partition.

Looking at the Preboot partition (use DiskArbitrator.app to mount or use the command line), the name of the folder containing the boot.efi file is the Volume UUID of the Catalina partition, but the device path str in the debug.log contains the Volume UUID of the "Catalina - Data" partition. The path is wrong, therefore, automate-eGPU EFI cannot load the boot.efi file.

The order of the APFS partitions for Catalina is:
Catalina - Data
Preboot
Recovery
VM
Catalina

I am guessing the Clover code was choosing the Volume UUID of the first APFS partition as the name of the folder in the Preboot partition. This may have worked in Mojave or earlier OSs but not anymore. Has automate-eGPU EFI been updated since Catalina was released? Seems not but the first post on the automate-eGPU EFI page points to a workaround at 24 There's more details at 27 . You have to use the version of automate-eGPU.efi with modification date Oct 21 2019 instead of Sep 10 2018 for the Catalina MacOSVolumeUUID workaround to work. The new version is built with XCODE 10 instead of 9.4.1 (displayed in the debug.log).

The Oct 21 2019 is able to detect eGPU. I don't know if there was a fix for that. At least this version is able to boot macOS. The Windows option still works too. I can boot into Windows with both my iGPU and eGPU displays working.

RA619H liked
ReplyQuote
RA619H
(@ra619h)

Posted by: @eightarmedpet

Aren't there couple of things you need to turn off to get the bootloader to work, is it file vault and secure boot? 

You could also try rEFInd if you can't get the EFI boot loader working for whatever reason.

Heres my refund install files: https://www.dropbox.com/s/e1w4id31yy7glim/refind.zip?dl=0

And instal steps:

How to Mount EFI and "bless" rEFInd (allow it to manage boot)

In terminal:

• sudo mkdir /Volumes/ESP

(terminal asks for your password)

• sudo mount -t msdos /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/ESP

Then put put the rEFInd folder in the EFI folder (see screenshot).

• sudo bless --mount /Volumes/ESP --setBoot --file /Volumes/ESP/efi/refind/refind_x64.efi --shortform

Dude this worked! Thanks. 

Two things remain: 

• Figure out what your supplied rEFInd is doing so I have a better understanding and for my build post.
  • Have it auto boot into MacOS while giving me the option for Windows by using the Option key on boot. 

MacBookPro14,2

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

@ra619h

Awesome! I had issues with EFI Bootloader for ages but for some reason its solid for me now without changing a thing (even the USB instal).

I stripped out the unnecessary drivers from that install and created a custom theme (which I kinda need to update as I dont like some icons). I think you can edit default OS and timeout in the config file but I have never actually done it myself.

I have no real idea what any of these solutions do, and my understanding of the tech is too limited to get my head round the explanations confidently, so for me, its doing "magic" and that'll do for me... 

---

ReplyQuote
RA619H
(@ra619h)

Bad news - I've returned from being away and tried to boot back into Boot camp but ran into the Error 12 issue. I tried reinstalling the GPU drivers and it's wrecked the windows install. I'm now going back through the troubleshooting steps. 

I did a fresh install with Win10 1909 and used the rEFInd from @eightarmedpet but that also resulted in Error 12. I'm now going through an install of Win10 1607. 

Any suggestions? 

Thanks

MacBookPro14,2

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

RA619H liked
ReplyQuote
RA619H
(@ra619h)

Still stuck at the code 12 issue. Currently running AMD drivers 19.12.1 and Win10 1607. I only can't boot with the eGPU plugged in - I have to hotplug it. 

I can't get rEFInd to boot the Windows drive at all. Going to try and rebuild that efi folder. 

Edit: 

When I boot from rEFInd - No eGPU plugged in I have a BSOD with INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

This post was modified 1 month ago

MacBookPro14,2

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@ra619h Take a look at my build guide for the 2017 13-in MacBook Pro + RX 5700 XT eGPU. It has worked very reliably with many different Radeon cards and the latest versions of Windows 10 and Radeon drivers. I updated to Radeon 20.1.2 yesterday without a hiccup. 

RA619H liked
ReplyQuote
RA619H
(@ra619h)

Posted by: @itsage

@ra619h Take a look at my build guide for the 2017 13-in MacBook Pro + RX 5700 XT eGPU. It has worked very reliably with many different Radeon cards and the latest versions of Windows 10 and Radeon drivers. I updated to Radeon 20.1.2 yesterday without a hiccup. 

Wow! Super detailed. I’ll give this a shot. 

MacBookPro14,2

ReplyQuote
tsakal
(@tsakal)
Reputable Member

Posted by: @itsage

@itsage

this should be applicable to 2018 mbp13 right?

A. 2.7 GHz I7 4 Cores, 16Gb, 1TB MBP 13 2018 TB3 , EGPU Razer Core X, Nitro+ RX5700 xt 8Gb, LG 32UK550
Mac OS Catalina 10.15.2, Ext SSD Windows 10 1903 V1 .295

B. 2.7 GHz I7 4 Cores, 16Gb, 1TB MBP 13 2018 TB3 , EGPU Gigabyte Gaming Box RX580 8Gb, Mac OS Catalina 10.15.2, Ext SSD Windows 10 1803

C. 3.1 GHz I7, 16Gb, 1TB MBP 13 2015 TB2 , EGPU Gigabyte Gaming Box RX580 8Gb

ReplyQuote