Working! 2018 MBP 13" i7 w/ 16gb ram + touchbar

Notifications
Clear all

Working! 2018 MBP 13" i7 w/ 16gb ram + touchbar  

RSS

Gray Bush
(@gray-bush)

My first official post here, and I wanted to start it off with thanking this community for being so awesome!

After several days of trial and error, I finally have my setup at least "working" for now. I'm about to test the internal display acceleration here in a few minutes. My set up:

Mid 2018 MBP 13 w/ i7, 16gb ram + touchbar:
eGpu: GIGABYTE 580RX

What I did:
1. Installed reFind
2. Hotplug eGpu when the spinning dots appear on the boot screen
3. I installed bootcampdrivers.com AMD software 
***Had Error 12***
4. Disabled isight camera, and root 9 and still had error 12
5. Performed dsdt override, still had error 12, but confirmed large memory area
6. Removed the eGpu from the device manager and DDU removed the AMD drivers restarted and installed GIGABYTE 580RX drivers from their site
7. Performed TB3 firmware updates and patched the eGpu
8. I restarted my computer and the AMD software welcomed me for the first time.

Device manager recognizes the eGpu and it is actively running as I type this. However, now windows is in test mode (Build17134.rs4_release.180410-1804). I'm about to test the internal display to see if that is accelerating; if not, I will plug into external monitor and test that. Some games, like fortnite, will not run in test mode. When I disable test mode, the error 12 comes back! From what I've read, the test mode pops because I installed software not approved by apples bootcamp firmware, or something to that effect.  Worst case, I will uninstall AMD drivers and reinstall the bootcampdrivers.com drivers and see if the test mode is fixed. I will report back with my findings later tonight. I hope this helps someone get their rig moving in the right direction.

FWIW: the gigabyte box is plug and play in OSX HS.  It works perfect with external displays, but I can't get it to accommodate internal display acceleration properly for certain applications.

Edit: Its alive! Successfully accelerating the internal screen with drivers from bootcampdrivers.com. I just played a round of fortnite on all high settings  and internal display while seeing stable 50 fps. Wow this was quite a bit of work to get it all going haha.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

@gray-bush, thank you for your build brief. To include your system as a build guide, please complete the build template:

https://egpu.io/forums/builds/build-template/

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 (6th,4C,H) + GTX 1080 Ti @32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 // compares M.2 vs TB3 performance

ReplyQuote
Gray Bush
(@gray-bush)

Will do. It might be a few days until I have the time to write that all up.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote