XFX Radeon RX 580 works in bootcamp with no extra setup

Notifications
Clear all

XFX Radeon RX 580 works in bootcamp with no extra setup  

RSS

daveyg_71
(@daveyg_71)

I have a power color devilbox with a XFX Radeon RX 580 card. 

I booted up in bootcamp and it works with the card without the need to do anything special. I cannot remember it might have automatically downloaded drivers, but I did not have to do anything extra for it to work. 

My problem is I cannot get the internal display to work in bootcamp anymore. If it is connected to the external display the internal is black. The bigger issue is when I am disconnected from the external and boot up in windows I will see the initial windows logo and then the screen goes black, I cannot use windows with the external display anymore. 

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017)
3.1 GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3
Power color Devil Box  with XFX Radeon RX 580

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Spankey
(@spankey)

Just posted this in another thread as well. There must have been a Windows Update that fixed something. I just plug in my eGPU and boot directly into Windows. Nothing special done at all. No black screens, freezing, etc.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member Moderator

From the reports I have read on this it was a firmware update on macOS side that made AMD plug and play on the 15 inch 2017s. No such luck with the 13 inch sadly.

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Spankey
(@spankey)

I haven't had any firmware or OS updates on my Mac. The main issue with the 15" laptops was the onboard GPU needing to either be disabled or ports to be disabled. No Error 12 messages now. It really is just plug and play. At least for the last weekend it has been. I'm sure something will change.

ReplyQuote
daveyg_71
(@daveyg_71)

It sorta works out of the box. I still cannot get my internal screen to work on Windows with either the external plugged in or even when it is not plugged in.

I am also getting poor performance from the card. I can get the desktop to work in 4k but when I try to run Day Z the screen flashes unless I run it in 1080p. 

When I try to run No Man's Sky the screen also flashes. I got it to run once at 1080p but even at that resolution the screen flashes. 

ReplyQuote