- 2016 15" MacBook Pro
- 2.9GHz i7-6920HQ (4 Cores)
- 16GB RAM
- 1TB internal SSD, 512GB for Windows
- AMD Radeon Pro 460 / Intel HD Graphics 530
- Windows home 1909
- MSI GeForce RTX 2060 super
Installation steps *(the alphabet means notes)
Based on jthiepler guide, thanks a lot.
Beforehand, Just install Windows using Bootcamp, I don’t disable the auto update*e.
I also install Macs fan control to control fan speeds.
2. Disable 1905(for the left Tb3 ports), and 1901(for the dGPU)*a in Device Manager
3. Shut system down, [Do not plug Tb3 cable in the port on MacBookPro, yet]
Prepare eGPU, attached to the external display, connect Tb3 cable on the eGPU side, switched [ON]. If you need, the cable mouse and keyboard should be connected to USB ports on the eGPU*f . Turn on MBP, and immediately after Windows logo blinks*b, plug Tb3 cable in the MBP side, next to the earphone jack.
4. Install latest Nvidia Driver and reboot*c.
5. Set display setting to only use external monitor.
6. Repeat No.3 and automatically external display shows, but internal screen shows windows logo screen, freezed*d
All benchmarks are done with an external display only.
Timespy(ver1.0) overall6518 graphics7866 CPU3307
a. Disabling only 1905 caused type12 error.
b. The timing is very important. In my situation, plugging in Tb3 cable during the circle phrase caused failure, only the short timing after logo blinks before the circle phase gave me success.
c. After reboot, when Windows do not recognize eGPU, just shut down and repeat No.3
e. Because I use NVIDIA cards. When I use AMD card, disabling updates is required, I suppose.
f. After Windows boot and recognizes GPU, I connect the cable mouse, but it does not work, even LED light don’t turn on.
Thanks to the previous reporters, I need not modify EFI or some scripts. I spent only several hours to make them worked. Its easy, but If I forget only one process, MBP will crash, much more sensitive, compared to my iMac build.