[Solved] 2011 12" HP 2560p + [email protected] (EXP GDC BEAST) + Win10 [cunning_fridge]^  

RSS

cunning_fridge
(@cunning_fridge)
Eminent Member
December 8, 2016 3:48 pm  

Build not complete yet, I've been wrestling with error 12 and some detection issues. I'm going to try this evening with Setup 1.3x so hopefully will be able to report back with some good news and a few benchmarks over the next week or so.

It'll be interesting to see how much of a bottleneck the pretty ancient i5 will be and whether if it's worth swapping for an i7-2xxx quad. 

HP 2560p 

i5-2450@2.5-3.2

6GB RAM

GTX1050 Ti 4GB

Win10

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
cunning_fridge
(@cunning_fridge)
Eminent Member
December 8, 2016 7:53 pm  

Setup 1.3x ran but "no solution found" after trying all the compaction options, any ideas what else needs to be done?

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin
December 8, 2016 8:01 pm  
Posted by: cunning_fridge

Setup 1.3x ran but "no solution found" after trying all the compaction options, any ideas what else needs to be done?

The combo of GTX1050ti + 2560P absolutely requires a DSDT override to resolve error 12. That's because the video card requires 256MB+ contiguous space which the BIOS locked TOLUD setting doesn't provide. Only could get a GTX5xx/6xx/7xx (not 650/750) to work without a DSDT override on a 2560P.

REF: https://egpu.io/forums/pc-setup/fix-dsdt-override-to-correct-error-12

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table    •    Several builds
2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 M1000M + macOS 10.14 & Win10

ReplyQuote
cunning_fridge
(@cunning_fridge)
Eminent Member
December 8, 2016 8:58 pm  

Ah I see. Ok will give this a shot. Any ideas where I can get the compiler? Version 4 is no longer hosted on the microsoft library and it's not included in the win 10 SDK. 

ReplyQuote
Plastixx
(@plastixx)
Trusted Member
December 8, 2016 11:22 pm  

Ah I see. Ok will give this a shot. Any ideas where I can get the compiler? Version 4 is no longer hosted on the microsoft library and it's not included in the win 10 SDK. 

The link below is NOT the compiler and I will NOT immediately delete the link once you let me know you DIDN'T download it. 😉

EDIT: Link deleted for obvious reasons. The compiler is still in WDK 10, that's where I got it from. Its located at...

C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Tools\x86\ACPIVerify\

It just sucks to have to download and install the entire package just to get a 147KB exe.

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin
December 13, 2016 2:29 pm  

Not yet. There's problems getting the DSDT override working. See my latest suggestion at https://egpu.io/forums/pc-setup/fix-dsdt-override-to-correct-error-12

Posted by: theitsage

Have you got this to work?

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table    •    Several builds

ReplyQuote
cunning_fridge
(@cunning_fridge)
Eminent Member
December 13, 2016 4:26 pm  

As Nando said not yet unfortunately. The DSDT override has resulted in bsod so I'll need to restore the registry (somehow) and attempt a different method to achieve the override. I am a complete beginner at this plus the hp2560p + 1050Ti seem to be a tricky combo so could take a few attempts and possibly some grey hairs!  

ReplyQuote
Samm4
(@samm4)
December 18, 2016 4:41 pm  

I was able to get this setup working with the GDC beast so I might be able to help a little bit.  I had to do the DSDT override to get it to work though.   On another note the 2450 was a bottleneck in some games (bf1) but was fine in overwatch.  I picked up a 2760qm off ebay and the performance is much better.  To deal with the heat I got the heatsink/fan from 2570p with diamond compound (that alone brought it from 100C + to 85C full load on BF1).  I also picked up the Opolar laptop cooler which brought it down to 75C full load.  I get around 45-50 fps 1080p on low settings in Bf1.  I also have to use the 375.63 drivers currently or I get an error 43.

ReplyQuote
cunning_fridge
(@cunning_fridge)
Eminent Member
December 19, 2016 3:24 pm  

Thanks for the tips @Samm4

I've just managed to get the DSDT override working last week so I'm going to try and complete the setup this week.  I did notice some detection issues that were preventing setup 1.3x performing the compaction prior to chainloading windows which I'm hoping can be worked through. Once the egpu is connected setup 1.3x hangs on rescan. Will investigate. 

I'm using the stock cooler but reseated cpu with some arctic silver 5 which brought temps down under simulated full load, hopefully this will be enough to avoid any issues when gaming. I'm still using the i5 2450 but if i can get this to work I'll pick up a used quad like you. 

Are you using an external or the internal monitor to achieve those results ? 

ReplyQuote
Samm4
(@samm4)
December 19, 2016 6:56 pm  

What type of psu are you using? I had some issues similar to that when I was attempting to run it with and underpowered laptop psu. Do you get a blue light on the adapter?

The heat won't be an issue until you upgrade to a quad, however the 2570p heatsink and fan ($10 eBay) was just good enough for 85c on heavy gaming.  The heat sink has a bit more heft to it but is the same in every other way. The opolar fan was just for my piece of mind and keeps it at around 70-75 during heavy gaming.

The benchmarks I gave were for an external monitor.  Expect to lose 10-15 frames on internal. I get 30's on the internal display even at the lower resolution.  

I'm pretty sure the GPU is still struggling with bandwidth at 1.2 (5gbps?) Wish there was a way to increase it lol.

ReplyQuote
cunning_fridge
(@cunning_fridge)
Eminent Member
December 19, 2016 10:31 pm  

Success at last! Everything working now. The last key to the puzzle was choosing the right compaction option in Setup 1.3x, selecting "none" when asked which device to force 32 bit did the trick after selecting the 56GB end point. 

Using NVidia driver 375.70

I've only managed to run 3DMark 11 so far but score here, running on internal display.

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/11837061

Happy with that since this is a pretty ancient machine that I bought for £100 🙂

Running on a Dell DA2 power brick to answer your question.

Yukikaze liked
ReplyQuote
Plastixx
(@plastixx)
Trusted Member
December 19, 2016 11:03 pm  

Good Job. I hate you. :p

ReplyQuote
Samm4
(@samm4)
December 20, 2016 1:19 am  

Congrats!  I forced my egpu to 32 bit, I wonder if it makes a difference either way.

ReplyQuote
Samm4
(@samm4)
December 20, 2016 2:02 am  

I just ran that bench to compare.  http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/11837376   Your core clock looks low.  Yours should be around 1354Mhz but its at 633Mhz.  I wonder what's causing that?  Try EVGA precision Xoc and verify if it's going above 633 during the bench. Also check if your CPU is pegged (causing a bottleneck) or use gpu-z and see if you are running PCI-e x1 2 or x1 1.1 (mine goes from 1.1 at idle to x1 2.0 during gaming)

ReplyQuote
cunning_fridge
(@cunning_fridge)
Eminent Member
December 20, 2016 11:04 am  
Posted by: Samm4

I just ran that bench to compare.  http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/11837376   Your core clock looks low.  Yours should be around 1354Mhz but its at 633Mhz.  I wonder what's causing that?  Try EVGA precision Xoc and verify if it's going above 633 during the bench. Also check if your CPU is pegged (causing a bottleneck) or use gpu-z and see if you are running PCI-e x1 2 or x1 1.1 (mine goes from 1.1 at idle to x1 2.0 during gaming)

Hmm good point, I'll investigate later. It's asking me to update SystemInfo so it could just be misreporting. I reran the test after selecting CPU for Physix and gained a hundred or so points but the GPU was showing as generic VGA in the results so not sure what's going on there. 

There does seem quite a disparity between the two scores, how much of that do you think is attributed to your 2760QM? Also are you running on internal or external monitor? 

ReplyQuote
Samm4
(@samm4)
December 20, 2016 8:22 pm  

It's possible that the CPU could affect the graphics score but I think the program was designed to measure them separately and your graphics score is 5k range where mine is 7k. I also ran the test in internal display mode to ensure we were comparing apples to apples.  I'll run the bench again with different setup 1.3x options to see if I can recreate your score.  If I can I will give you all the options I choose for compaction/PCI port. (Edited for clarity)

ReplyQuote
cunning_fridge
(@cunning_fridge)
Eminent Member
December 20, 2016 8:27 pm  

Ok so everything is running as it should be, the system info just needed an update. Clocks etc are reporting as normal. Revised score

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/11839328

What's not though is the PCIe bus interface which stays at x1 1.1 even under load. I'll dig around in the BIOS to see there's a way to set gen 2.

UPDATE: switched to gen 2, now 2.0 @x1 2.0 under load. I'm using the GDC BEAST which has know gen 2 issues so will see how stable.

Marked increase in score

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/11839381

ReplyQuote
cunning_fridge
(@cunning_fridge)
Eminent Member
December 20, 2016 8:48 pm  
Posted by: Samm4

It's possible that the CPU could affect the graphics score but I think the program was designed to measure them separately and your graphics score is 5k range where mine is 7k. I also ran the test in internal display mode to ensure we were comparing apples to apples.  I'll run the bench again with different setup 1.3x options to see if I can recreate your score.  If I can I will give you all the options I choose for compaction/PCI port. (Edited for clarity)

See edited post, it was basically just switching to gen 2 in the bios after measuring in GPU-z as you suggested 🙂

Graphics score now hovering around 8k which looks about right. I wonder what difference running the display externally has, I've seen a few vids on youtube and the difference one some is as much as 20 fps.

Thanks for the help!

ReplyQuote
Samm4
(@samm4)
December 20, 2016 8:59 pm  

Awesome! Glad I could help.  I've been using the GDC beast for a couple months now @ gen 2 and have been fine, but maybe I won the silicon lottery lol.  You should expect 10-20 fps increase (in my experience) with an external display

ReplyQuote
Samm4
(@samm4)
December 24, 2016 9:16 pm  

After overclocked and  messing around with the Nvidia control panel I found that setting the cuda core to none increased frame rate in battlefield 1 5-10 frames.  Now I get a high of 60 fps and a low of about 45 (tons of fighting).

ReplyQuote
Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)
Prominent Member Moderator
December 24, 2016 10:14 pm  

There can be quite a difference between using the internal and external screens. In general if you have an external monitor, you should use it. If you don't own one, you still should use one. If you want to save on the money front, I've picked up monitors on the cheap at Goodwill before, such as a 1680x1050 Dell 2007WFPb for 10$. 1680x1050 is also a good resolution for lower-end eGPUs and older laptops.

My eGPU Zoo - Link to my Implementations.
Want to output [email protected] out of an old system on the cheap? Read here.
"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."- Robert A. Heinlein, "Time Enough for Love."

ReplyQuote
cunning_fridge
(@cunning_fridge)
Eminent Member
January 3, 2017 3:46 pm  

Just got back to the forum after a nice Christmas break 🙂

Completely agree with @Yukikaze, I picked a decent old Dell for about £20 and I'm seeing a significant increase in frame rates.

I'm now thinking do I take the plunge with a quad core cpu but a) will it be really worth it and b) what to do with all that heat. It already sounds like a jet taking off whilst gaming and I don't want it to be near max rpm during light to moderate use. 

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin
January 3, 2017 3:56 pm  

Welcome back :)The 2nd gen quad cores, as would be an upgrade in a 2560P,  use 32nm lithography and tend to run quite hot. You may find yourself temp throttled to x27 over the 4 cores.

If upgrading, may I suggest you look at a Dell E6430 or HP 2570P system instead? Either can use the 3rd gen 22nm quad-core CPU that can run upwards of x33 over 4 cores. They also have native USB 3.0. The E6430 with a 1600x900 LCD and NVS5200M dGPU option. Both have had successful eGPU implementations using their expresscard slots.

ReplyQuote
cunning_fridge
(@cunning_fridge)
Eminent Member
January 3, 2017 4:10 pm  

I think I'll hold on to the 2560p for now and skip the quad upgrade. A cursory glance at ebay shows I can pick up the E6430 at a pretty decent price so I'll wait until the time comes and pick up on of those.

Incidentally that was the exact model I used to use as my work laptop about 4 years ago, always wondered what that mystery port in the side could be used for, a gaming machine was not the top of my guesses! 

3RYL, Yukikaze and nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
Plastixx
(@plastixx)
Trusted Member
January 3, 2017 5:05 pm  

I'm now thinking do I take the plunge with a quad core cpu but a) will it be really worth it and b) what to do with all that heat. It already sounds like a jet taking off whilst gaming and I don't want it to be near max rpm during light to moderate use. 

The i7-2620M and i5-2450M both have a TDP of 35W. The i7 will of course run hotter, but the laptop was designed around a 35W processor; it was even sold with the option of having the i7-2620M .

Considering how old your laptop is, the high fan speed could be caused by a couple of things.... dust/debris lodged in the intake side of the heatsink fins, and needing to repaste the CPU.

You can pick up an i7-2620M on ebay for $55 and sell your i5-2450M for $20.

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
Samm4
(@samm4)
January 4, 2017 1:21 pm  

I wouldn't upgrade to a quad unless you get a bottleneck.  I'm able to run the 2760qm with a hp2570p heatsink  and diamond paste at 85c full load.  But to keep things cool during long gaming sessions I use the opolar lc01 ($11 on eBay ATM). It's a fan that attaches to the exhaust port to pull more air through.  The CPU doesn't get any hotter than 70c but it is definitely a noisier beast.  Edit: I'm mistaken, I use the opolar lc05.

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
domba
(@domba)
January 6, 2017 1:58 pm  

cunning_fridge@Samm4... Nice job with the 1050Ti. I followed the instructions, dsdt owerride, no errors, installed a 375.70, and tried also 375.63 drivers , diy setup 3.1 .. I set the 3.1 system 56GB end point. selected the "none" for the 32 bit .. I do not know ... something  blocks and continusous shows me the code 43 . Nando showed me  this link .. https://egpu.io/forums/expresscard-mpcie-m-2-adapters/nvidia-is-killing-off-mpciengff-m2-egpus-error-43-with-372-90/  How did you manage to force gtx 1050T without coda 43 to work. Have you modified the 372.90 drivers for the newer version 375.70 for 1050Ti  My conf. 

LENOVO G710

i7 4600m 2.9-3.6ghz

8gb 1600mhz

GTX1050 Ti 4GB

Win10

I appreciate any advice from anyone ...

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin
January 6, 2017 2:21 pm  

@domba,  cunning_fridge has a HP 2560P using an expresscard slot eGPU with hotplug bit enabled . Your G710 has a mPCIe slot whose hotplug bit is not enabled, hence the error 43.

AFAIK, the only ppl that got a GTX1050Ti working on such a system without error 43 have modified the 372.70 driver's INF files to add GTX1050Ti support. That driver was released before the GTX1050Ti.

Otherwise, a GTX1060+ card can use 372.70 drivers (though note some new GTX1060 6GB cards too may need INF mods), or GTX9xx and earlier cards are reported as unaffected by the hotplug bit and can use the newest driver without error.

ReplyQuote
domba
(@domba)
January 6, 2017 2:38 pm  

Hm I see... ;-( I'm sorry, I'm new to all this, soo ExpressCard slot, bugger .. So the only option are modified drivers i have no other option than to do that. If it does not work i'll sell GTX 1050T on e bay, a shame because I have not tested it in games. brand new card... ;-(If everything fails, i'll try day or 2  I will probably wait Zen and falling prices, for some small 1080p machine Anybody have experience with modified drivers ? some link perhaps?  This is my last hope. Tx

ReplyQuote
cunning_fridge
(@cunning_fridge)
Eminent Member
January 6, 2017 3:23 pm  

Hi domba, I'm pretty new to this as well but as nando said your system is very different to mine, bit of an 'apples and oranges' comparison. 

If i were you I'd sell the 1050 and pick up a cheap 970 (used) as these seem to run without as much driver hassle as the 10 series. You'd get much better performance as well. I kind of wish Id' done this as I don't think the 1050 is very future-proof. 

ReplyQuote
domba
(@domba)
January 6, 2017 3:45 pm  

Yeah Yes, unfortunately, it is a different system;-( I have no experience with programming, but I'll try with modified drivers, older version, i will try two-three days and if it does not give resultes, I have no choice but to buy something like gtx 9xx series, but i'll probablly wait 2 -3 weeks and  when AMD ZEN comes, prices will fall and I planing to build small budget  minidesktop  based around 1050Ti. I'm disappointed, but that's life and bad buying choice. 🙁

ReplyQuote
cunning_fridge
(@cunning_fridge)
Eminent Member
March 8, 2017 11:36 am  

Update to this guide. I swapped out the gtx 1050 Ti for an Asus strix 970. Yes it's an old card but I'm planning to build a desktop rig and this is a better interim card until AMD Vega launches in the summer due to it's overclocking headroom. 

No driver issues so far, straight swap for the 970 played will with Windows. Around an extra 15-20% gain in performance (stock speed) as well, not bad for £110 ($120)

The only negative is now the Dell DA-2 makes a hell of a racket when the card is under anything above about 50% load. Has anyone else seen this issue with the DA2? The noise isn't coil whine, it sounds more mechanical like there's something jigging around inside the power brick.

Edit - updated picture to show the size difference between the two cards. Note the metal case needed to be bent to fit the 970. Once fitted this can be bent back. 

jeemaline and nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
(@djmaj0)
July 8, 2018 7:30 pm  

is it possible to share your compiled dsdt file as my always finishes with 43 errors

ReplyQuote