early 2015 13" Macbook Pro + [email protected] (Razer Core via TB3 to TB2 adapter) + macOS10.12.2 [fattymax]^  

RSS

fattymax
(@fattymax)
January 16, 2017 1:21 pm  

Report this one: pretty straight forward.

1. Run TB3 Enabler.

2. Attach Apple's TB3 <-> TB2 Adapter, plug it to Razer Core and TB2 at Macbook Pro Early 2015.

3. Apply automate-eGPU.sh v1.0.0 (with -a mode)

Reboot. Succeed.

Just follow the advices from different threads. Then it is done.

I hook up the external monitor of Dell P2715Q, no problem.

As a noobie, I appreciate all the hard work of those devoted enthusiasts! Big Salute!

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

NG CHEE WEI liked
ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin
January 16, 2017 1:33 pm  

Thank you fors sharing your great results. There's considerable interest in attaching these TB3 enclosures to older (and in some ways better) TB2/TB1 MBPs to improve graphical performance. You going for the Razer Core rather than other budget AKiTiO/Powercolor enclosure options.

Would you like to expand your writeup with photos so can add you to the Implementations list? 

https://egpu.io/external-gpu-implementations-table/

Adding Bootcamp Windows experience details would  cover both OS of interest.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table    •    Several builds
2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 M1000M + macOS 10.14 & Win10

ReplyQuote
fattymax
(@fattymax)
January 16, 2017 2:19 pm  

Oh yes. Thanks. Will do a detailed report later. 

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
mdr1a
(@mdr1a)
January 16, 2017 2:28 pm  

Thanks for sharing!

I'm using Akitio Node with Apple Tb3-Tb2 adapter connect to my 2015 Tb2 MacBook Pro, next step is to use this set-up in MacOS, this post is a great reference. 

2015 15" Macbook Pro M370x + [email protected] (AKiTiO Node via TB3->TB2 adapter) + Win10 & macOS 10.12.2

ReplyQuote
hyker27
(@hyker27)
February 3, 2017 1:07 pm  

Excuse me! I have the same macbook and monitor. Can you use the usb and ethernet port on the razer core?

ReplyQuote
samupetho
(@samupetho)
Eminent Member
March 9, 2017 12:36 pm  

Hello there! I am writing this, because I have the same macbook model, but I encountered issues.

As I don't really care about using my eGPU in macOS, since I just want to game in Windows. So if I'll run the automate.sh script with -a mode, re-boot to Windows, and plugging the cable in after the mouse is visible in the boot section, and if it continues to boot, then everything should be good, right? Or just keep trying to get it boot? Because once it booted, I saw the card in the device manager, but when I wanted to run the unigine valley on extreme hd, it gave me 18 fps, what tells me even though there is the 1060, it uses the integrated card. So the question here is, how to make the 1060 to be the "default" card? Also the same applied, when I plugged in my external display via hdmi to the graphic card, it gave me no image at all.

Can anyone please help me with any clues? Would greatly appreciate it!

@goalque told me, that the nVidia cards are blocked in the early 2015 13" rMBP in the system level, is there any way of overcoming this?

early 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, 13-inch (CTO - Core i7, 3.1 GHz, 16 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD)
Akitio Thunder2
EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SC Gaming

ReplyQuote
Wrn2x
(@wrn2x)
March 12, 2017 6:52 am  

Thanks for sharing. Are you using Apple's original TB 3-2 adapter? Does it works in reverse direction (TB3 peripheral to TB2 Macbooks)?

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin
March 12, 2017 6:54 am  
Posted by: Wrn2x

Thanks for sharing. Are you using Apple's original TB 3-2 adapter? Does it works in reverse direction (TB3 peripheral to TB2 Macbooks)?

Yes, attaching TB3 eGPU enclosures to TB2/TB1 Macbooks works. See examples here

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table    •    Several builds
2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 M1000M + macOS 10.14 & Win10

Wrn2x liked
ReplyQuote
Manta
(@manta)
March 29, 2017 12:29 am  

Hi  fattymax, are you still runing your 2015 Macbook pro with the Core? If so is it going well, any issues?

ReplyQuote
jdc3
 jdc3
(@jdc3)
Eminent Member
May 26, 2017 9:22 pm  

I get intermittent connectivity with the Razer Core and a 1080 Ti on mid-2015 MBP.  Seems pretty random and just not worth the effort.  Goalque indicated there is a problem with the PD firmware on the Razer Core which doesn't play well with MBP drivers - this makes sense because it seems to be a problem with synchronizing the power-on cycle of the eGPU with the boot of the MBP.  It really boils down to inserting the TB2 cable at just the right time.  And that changes from boot to boot.  I have an Akitio Node coming on Tuesday so I'll update results.

ReplyQuote
jdc3
 jdc3
(@jdc3)
Eminent Member
June 2, 2017 12:44 am  

Everything is working fine with the Node.  I've even tried to crash it - hot plug, restart - still connects every time.  Good results with Unigine Valley Bench. Left is Iris Pro on mid-2015, 15" Retina display, right Dell 1680 x 1050 20" display.  

ReplyQuote
igerard
(@igerard)
Estimable Member
June 2, 2017 12:38 pm  

I have great results with the early mbp 2015 in 15 inches and the same video card inside an Akitio Node, Cuda and Metal programming work like a charm 🙂

MBP 2018, Touch Bar, i7 2.6 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 1T SSD, Radeon 560X... very nice!
eGPU : Akitio Node + RX 580 + GTX 980 Ti + Vega64

ReplyQuote
jdc3
 jdc3
(@jdc3)
Eminent Member
June 7, 2017 4:23 pm  

The only consistent hiccup is on restart, I have to restart again. On the first restart, it shows the NVIDIA Chip Model.  On the second restart, it recognizes the GPU as the 1080 Ti.

ReplyQuote