13" tbMBP + RX480 + Razer Core in Win10 - error 12  

RSS

Trajans Row
(@trajans-row)
December 22, 2016 2:25 am  

Trying to get a working egpu in boot camp on my 13" touchbar MacBook Pro (16gb memory, if that matters). I'm using a Razer Core with an RX 480 4GB. 

I was getting a Code 12 error, so I followed the tutorial in this forum for the DSDT override. It seems to be applied; I see the big memory entry in device manager. The machine also hangs now at the windows logo during boot - so something is definitely different now. I can boot if I connect the Core after the windows logo appears, but the RX480 still shows code 12.

Should I scrap the AMD and get a Pascal card? Does anyone have any sage advice with this config?

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Alec
 Alec
(@alec)
Eminent Member
December 22, 2016 9:27 am  

Try to disable your PCIe Controller (x4) in Device Manager.

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin
December 22, 2016 10:07 am  

Pls perform step (2) at https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/2016-macbook-pro-solving-egpu-error-12-in-windows-10/

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table    •    Several builds
2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 M1000M + macOS 10.14 & Win10

ReplyQuote
Trajans Row
(@trajans-row)
December 22, 2016 4:56 pm  

Thanks, nando4! I should be able to try that option in the next couple of days. I might also try out Alec's suggestion, which seems simple enough.

How did you get the address 001C043E from itsage's work? I don't see it in his screenshots anywhere. Also, what is the "8" for after the PCI type? ...Just trying to understand how this works. 🙂

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
Trajans Row
(@trajans-row)
December 27, 2016 2:16 pm  

I was able to apply the EFI mm script using refind. It didn't include a shell, so I grabbed one from the refit distribution. This is actually a nice tool; thanks for recommending it. 

Unfortunately, the XFX RX480 RS still showed code 12. I also tried disabling the DSDT patch from earlier. Even worse is that I never got boot support back with the RX, even after reverting the EFI changes and going through a half dozen windows reinstalls... the system would just hang on the Windows logo at boot, and show artifacts. I have no idea how I got boot to work that first time.

Fortunately, the local Best Buy still had graphics cards on sale, so I grabbed an EVGA 6Gb GTX 1060 to try. So, another bootcamp install (which unblessed refind), Windows update, Synapse install. I then connected the Razer Core to install the latest Nvidia drivers. This time, however, I had an external display connected to the HDMI port on the GTX. I pulled the cable on the core after reboot and plugged it back in after the Windows logo appeared and then BAM! It works! I was totally blown away. I immediately ran a Steam VR benchmark to see if I was dreaming, and sure enough, I got a solid 6.9! Sweet. 

I did another reboot without disconnecting the Core, just to see if I could boot normally, and was sad to see the host hang at the Windows logo. But wait...the Windows desktop just popped up on my external display, and was actually working; only the internal laptop display was wedged.

Damn it... Maybe the RX 480 had been working that whole time, but just not on the internal display? There's no way I'm nuking my bootcamp install just to test that again, but I have an external hard disk that I may test that on when I have more time/stamina. I'm fine sticking with the GTX anyway because I really wanted internal display support. If anyone else is seeing code 12 errors, I might recommend attaching an external display to see if that changes anything. 

theitsage and nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
December 27, 2016 2:32 pm  

@Trajans Row very good to hear. What many have found is that Nvidia GPUs play better with eGPU setups. If you look at success reports, the number of Nvidia cards far exceeds that of AMD ones.

I was one of the first few who got the RX 480 to work in macOS beta (in a tower Mac Pro). We found certain brands (XFX in particular) have their custom vBIOS which doesn't play well with macOS. More extreme case was the XFX RX 460 causing boot hang/black screen. The RX 460 was supposed to work right out of the box for Macs (same drivers as dGPUs in 2016 MBP).

We'd love to see photos of your setup.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

86 external GPU build guides

ReplyQuote
Trajans Row
(@trajans-row)
December 27, 2016 2:45 pm  

It became clear to me as I worked on this more that the card model is almost as significant as the card chipset. I wish people would emphasize that more when talking about their setups.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that, while the GPU obviously does not work in macOS, the Core USB ports work, and it appears to keep the MBP charged. So I don't have to disconnect it when I boot into macOS.

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin
December 27, 2016 2:53 pm  

@Trajans Row, did you try the following to get the iGPU and eGPU working such that accelerated internal LCD mode works?  https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/thunderbolt-3-egpu-with-late-2016-macbook-pro/#post-49

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table    •    Several builds

ReplyQuote
Trajans Row
(@trajans-row)
December 27, 2016 3:34 pm  

I didn't try that, but it's interesting... does that somehow turn on X-Connect? Does XC have control software like Optimus?

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin
December 27, 2016 3:37 pm  

Yes, @goalque activated AMD's X-connect popup. It's AMD's Optimus equivalent. In both cases, the iGPU must be functioning for the accelerated internal LCD mode to work.

Posted by: Trajans Row

I didn't try that, but it's interesting... does that somehow turn on X-Connect? Does XC have control software like Optimus?

ReplyQuote
goalque
(@goalque)
Noble Member Admin
December 27, 2016 5:57 pm  

@Trajans Row, all Macs released after Late 2014 support hot plugging, XConnect should work straight away. apple_set_os.efi makes life much easier with the iGPU only Macs on Windows. The differences are the touchbar model and TB3 enclosure which may require additional steps.

And as @theitsage said, certain XFX cards are not Mac friendly.

automate-eGPU EFIapple_set_os.efi
--
late-2016 13" Macbook Pro nTB + [email protected] (Netstor HL23T) + macOS & Win10
late-2016 13" Macbook Pro nTB + GTX980/[email protected] (Netstor HL23T) + macOS10.13 & Win10

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
samklee
(@samklee)
Eminent Member
December 28, 2016 6:11 pm  
Posted by: theitsage

@Trajans Row very good to hear. What many have found is that Nvidia GPUs play better with eGPU setups. If you look at success reports, the number of Nvidia cards far exceeds that of AMD ones.

I was one of the first few who got the RX 480 to work in macOS beta (in a tower Mac Pro). We found certain brands (XFX in particular) have their custom vBIOS which doesn't play well with macOS. More extreme case was the XFX RX 460 causing boot hang/black screen. The RX 460 was supposed to work right out of the box for Macs (same drivers as dGPUs in 2016 MBP).

We'd love to see photos of your setup.

Question.  Still haven't given up on my core.  From this post I'm guessing that the rx 460 has the best compatibility with the current generation macbooks? 

I can get my core recognized in Mac OS.  The hangup is automate egpu script successfully modifying forced downloaded Nvidia files.  Upon reboot the OS refuses to recognize the modded drivers.  

I'm wondering if ditching the gtx 970 for the rx460 or rx 480 might help?

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
December 28, 2016 8:20 pm  

@samklee I have not heard any reports of successful Thunderbolt 3 eGPU with 2016 MBP using an AMD GPU in macOS. The furthest I've got is screen output to an external display through my Thunder3 RX 470 eGPU. There was no graphical acceleration even when the drivers/kexts loaded in macOS. We're still looking through 10.12.2 and 10.12.3 beta to hopefully find a workaround.

ReplyQuote
samklee
(@samklee)
Eminent Member
December 28, 2016 11:46 pm  

Thanks for the update.  I ordered a usb c dock to hold me over until these things get sorted out.  I think I'll keep my core around for a couple months before I consider selling it off.  Pretty expensive paperweight in the meanwhile.  

Sad to see Sierra lagging behind in sorting out displaylink issues too, but at least there has been some headway with 10.12.2 and 10.12.3 beta

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
January 4, 2017 3:49 pm  

@samklee I got an Sapphire RX 460 2GB. Prior to trying it with my AKiTiO Thunder3, I tried it inside my Mac Pro and it works great (no kext edits at all).

I'll try it with my Thunder3 later this week and report back.

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
movien
(@movien)
January 21, 2017 12:49 am  

I was able to apply the EFI mm script using refind. It didn't include a shell, so I grabbed one from the refit distribution. This is actually a nice tool; thanks for recommending it. 

Unfortunately, the XFX RX480 RS still showed code 12. I also tried disabling the DSDT patch from earlier. Even worse is that I never got boot support back with the RX, even after reverting the EFI changes and going through a half dozen windows reinstalls... the system would just hang on the Windows logo at boot, and show artifacts. I have no idea how I got boot to work that first time.

Fortunately, the local Best Buy still had graphics cards on sale, so I grabbed an EVGA 6Gb GTX 1060 to try. So, another bootcamp install (which unblessed refind), Windows update, Synapse install. I then connected the Razer Core to install the latest Nvidia drivers. This time, however, I had an external display connected to the HDMI port on the GTX. I pulled the cable on the core after reboot and plugged it back in after the Windows logo appeared and then BAM! It works! I was totally blown away. I immediately ran a Steam VR benchmark to see if I was dreaming, and sure enough, I got a solid 6.9! Sweet. 

I did another reboot without disconnecting the Core, just to see if I could boot normally, and was sad to see the host hang at the Windows logo. But wait...the Windows desktop just popped up on my external display, and was actually working; only the internal laptop display was wedged.

Damn it... Maybe the RX 480 had been working that whole time, but just not on the internal display? There's no way I'm nuking my bootcamp install just to test that again, but I have an external hard disk that I may test that on when I have more time/stamina. I'm fine sticking with the GTX anyway because I really wanted internal display support. If anyone else is seeing code 12 errors, I might recommend attaching an external display to see if that changes anything. 

Hi @Trajans Even I'm having the same error stuck at windows loading screen. My setup as follows

MBP Late 2016 13' without Touch bar. 

Razer Core

GTX 960

LG 4K display

I have successfully installed the GTX 960 in Mac however when I tried to install in windows via boot camp I'm stuck at Windows loading page. Could you please help me out from this issue.

ReplyQuote
blackdoo996
(@blackdoo996)
January 28, 2017 7:04 am  
Posted by: movien

Hi @Trajans Even I'm having the same error stuck at windows loading screen. My setup as follows

MBP Late 2016 13' without Touch bar. 

Razer Core

GTX 960

LG 4K display

I have successfully installed the GTX 960 in Mac however when I tried to install in windows via boot camp I'm stuck at Windows loading page. Could you please help me out from this issue.

My MacBook Pro 2016 13inch with touch bar connect Razer core

The use of its method successfully entered the windows, note that when the windows logo, insert the razer core, razer core lights off, 20 seconds after the successful entry into windows. But the audio will fail, you need to disable and then enable.

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
Trajans Row
(@trajans-row)
January 28, 2017 1:46 pm  

Yes; connecting the Core during boot has been necessary for me also. There is a possible workaround that goalque posted about here, but I have not tried it yet:

https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/how-to-keep-mbps-irisiris-pro-activated-when-booting-into-windows-boot-camp/

ReplyQuote