Hello, here I present my first ever GPU build.
- Late 2018 15" MacBook Pro - i9, 32gb Ram, 1tb SSD
- Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT Nitro+
- Razer Core X Chroma eGPU Enclosure
- Bootcampdrivers.com - 20.12.1 Red Edition
- Radeon Software
1. Unpackage GPU and Enclosure
- Take GPU out of Box.
- Take enclosure out of Box.
- Open the Latch on the back of the enclosure and pull the inside out of the case.
- Take back Plate covering Ports out of Core x Chroma.
- Take off Port protection of GPU.
2. Put GPU in Enclosure
- Unscrew Thumb Screw on Enclosure.
- Line up PCI-E Connectors and Press down.
- Screw Thumb Screw back in.
3. Connect GPU
- Untie the 2 GPU cables in Enclosure for them to be long enough to connect to GPU.
- Connect the 6 and 2 Pin connectors on both cables in order to form an 8 Pin Connector, NOTE: They need to clasp together to be the same height, otherwise the 2 Pin won't be plugged in fully ergo GPU doesn't get enough power.
- Connect both 8 Pin Connectors to the Ports on GPU
4. Close up enclosure and Power up.
- Push the Inside back into the Case of the Enclosure and close the latch.
- Connect the Power Cable, the Monitors, Keyboard / Mouse and any other USB devices into the Enclosure and to the devices
Turn on the Power Switch and Connect the GPU to the MacBook with the included Thunderbolt 3 Cable, NOTE: Unless you are sure you have cables with enough Bandwith use the included one, you'll need that Bandwith to get good performance.
Personally, for me, this GPU would be perfect as an eGPU because I use intense applications that utilize lots of its power. I currently have lots of driver issues, which is why I have about 95% Performance loss, no kidding. I get about 30 FPS In easy Games which is horrible. I assume that the Drivers will get better over time, personally, I can only advise you to buy the GPU once its more available, hardly anyone has one, which means the Drivers and as good. I think in a couple of Months with better Drivers Performance will improve drastically.
I hope you like this guide, the building part was very in-depth and this build itself is particular for my Macbook Model.
I haven't included any Benchmarks, but if you'd like to see some, just leave a comment
I have Set up my GPU, you can see how I did it in another Post, however, the performance loss is insane. I am losing about 95% of the GPU's performance. I already tried different types of drivers even for CPU and stuff and it won't help. I Games as easy as Minecraft I only get about 20 FPS on LOWEST SETTINGS which is absolutely terrible especially considering I wanted to start Streaming. If you have absolutely ANY Idea or solution for at least somewhat better performance id be incredibly grateful. Thank you
@appleluis, Are you using an external monitor? There are several crippling factors at play here if you're using the RX 6900 XT eGPU to play games on the MacBook Pro's internal monitor. Ever since the Navi graphics card release, the loopback mode performance with Radeon drivers has been terrible. Compared to Vega and previous cards, we're seeing much worse performance loss between external monitor and internal display.
The second observation I have is the drivers newer than 20.4.2 perform very inconsistently in eGPU mode. I'm not technical enough to look into exactly what's wrong. Unfortunately RX 6000 series cards need newer drivers in order to work so 20.4.2 is not an option. My recommendation is to connect an external monitor if you haven't done so.
@itsage, Hi Yea I already use an external Monitor, and I tried 20.4.2, but like you already mentioned the 6900xt isn't supported in that version. I guess I'm just gonna have to wait and see, but I still don't understand how @darkjz 's build performs so much better, getting at least 80 fps in AAA Games. I guess something is scuffed. Do you think it'll get better with new drivers in 1-2 Months? If not ill probably send back the case, sell my laptop and buy a PC. I really want to get into streaming and my Streams have horrible lag, so I don't really see any other options.
@appleluis, double. Check your windows settings. It looks to me that you are not really using the 6900xt. I drive a 49’ ultra wide 1440 display at 120fps with med high settings using a5700xt. For example game mode, performance mode power options etc. there are a lot of videos on YouTube. Alternatively there might be something wrong with the bootcamp drivers, us the amd ones if possible.
A) 2020 MacBook Pro, i7-1068NG7, 32GB RAM, 1TB, EGPU Razer Core X, Nitro+ RX5700 xt 8Gb, Samsung 49 1440p UltraWide C49RG
Mac OS Catalina 10.15.7, Internal Bootcamp Windows 10 2004 pci.sys swap.
B) 2.7 GHz I7 4 Cores, 16Gb, 1TB MBP 13 2018 TB3 , EGPU Razer Core X, Nitro+ RX5700 xt 8Gb, LG 32UK550
Mac OS Catalina 10.15.2, Ext SSD Windows 10 1903 V1 .295
I with the configuration in signature do not have such low results, in my opinion there is something wrong with windows. What data transfer do you have tb3? I have 2660MB. I am using the latest official amd drivers, never use the internal video card, just egpu. I don't even have such bad performance, I only play in 4k on external monitor. I have problems with high fps that I don't get there, and I have problems with split screen games where I do very few fps ... I don't know if it's the fault of the tb3 ..