2018 15" Dell G5 15 (GTX1060) [8th,6C,H] + RTX 2070 Super @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ADT-Link...

Notifications
Clear all

2018 15" Dell G5 15 (GTX1060) [8th,6C,H] + RTX 2070 Super @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ADT-Link R43SG-TB3) + Win10  

RSS

Марк Крылов
(@krylovnna)

System specs (model inc screen size, CPU, iGPU, dGPU, operating system which eGPU is being used)

15" Dell G5 15 (5587) equipped with a 1060 maxq and core i7 8750h, 24 gb of ram.

Runs on windows 10 pro.

eGPU hardware 

ADT-Link R43SG-TB3 + Asus ROG strix RTX 2070 super OC edition + cooler master 750 watts power supply.

Installation steps 

1) Enclosure requires some assembly - I had to open up m.2 to thunderbolt 3 adapter in order to connect it to the enclosure.

2) Install copper rods for supporting GPU.

3) Install power supply - in my case an ATX one. Be careful though - you only need to connect 24 pin and 4 pin connectors if you are not using a dell power supply (4 pin connector is marked on the PCB as "CPU power"), but do not be afraid if you did it wrong - the enclosure just won't power up.

4) Do NOT touch any of the switches on the PCB.

5) Connect power supply to your GPU of choice.

6) Power it up.

7) Connect thunderbolt 3 cable (included. Quite decent, actually).

8) Install drivers and reboot (important - DWM loads GPU up to 100% if you don't)

9) Enjoy.

Benchmarks 

Comments 

Actually worked like a charm, but I did some kind of an "upgrade".

PCH is not cooled actively and thunderbolt 3 connection in this device goes through it, so I installed a small heat sink in order to cool it down a notch and it actually helped.

If you want to repeat this ordeal, then take heatsink for raspberry pi and put it on the chip. You will need to reroute CMOS battery though and remove some plastic - PCH sits right under the battery - i just relocated it closet to the RAM modules (in that case you do not need to do any soldering - length of the wires is just enough).

Overall performance improved dramatically - beware though, I connected it to 4K 60 hz TV, so your mileage may vary.

In the end, I want to thank everyone on this forum - your guides helped me to learn a lot.

P.S. If you have any questions - shoot - I will try to answer.

P.P.S. English is not my native language, so if you find any typos/mistakes - don't be shy to point them out)

2018 15" Dell G5 15 (GTX1060) [8th,6C,H] + RTX 2070 Super @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ADT-Link R43SG-TB3) + Win10 [build link]  

nando4 and itsage liked
ReplyQuote