2011 15" HP Probook 6560b [2nd,2C,M] + GTX 760 @ 4Gbps-EC2 (EXP GDC 8.4) + Win1...

Notifications
Clear all

2011 15" HP Probook 6560b [2nd,2C,M] + GTX 760 @ 4Gbps-EC2 (EXP GDC 8.4) + Win10 [metallus84]  

of  4
  RSS

neoHannibal
(@neohannibal)

Posted by: nando4

Posted by: neoHannibal

@mettalus84 Did you also have a unstable Gen2 connection on EXP GDC? And you are saying a home made cable solved the problem? Where did you get the ExpressCard34 connnector from? Also where can i find pinout for all that? 

Until mettalus84 responds, consider the following to reduce EMI noise and signalling spikes/interference:

- isolating the PSU for the eGPU to it's own dedicated power outlet/point
- do not have any USB devices attached to your system, particularly the EXP GDC
- place aluminium cooking foil over the EXP GDC cable
- set SLIM LINE switch to Ultra, which supposedly disables the EXP GDC USB port per here

I have tried all of the above except of the SLIME LINE switch, because I don't have one since my EXP GDC is V7.2C ARES - I have dissasembled the adapter and that is what it says on the PCB even though on the housing it says Beast. I have intentionally bought the adapter and GTX 660 from a person that claims it was all working on Lenovo X230, since there was a rumor that the recent GXP GDC have problems with stable Gen2 connection. I also looked at the PCB and the connections. I have noticed that one of the pins of the PCIe x16 connector has a blob on the pinnout (see picture:  https://goo.gl/photos/ChsArenpBDLksqHXA) also some of the other pins aren't soldered well either. I have an electronics background and am thinking about reflowing some of the connections. However I am not sure where all the pins go, because some of them might be not used. Does anybody have a schematics/pinout of the connector?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

I I have noticed that one of the pins of the PCIe x16 connector has a blob on the pinnout (see picture:  https://goo.gl/photos/ChsArenpBDLksqHXA) also some of the other pins aren't soldered well either. I have an electronics background and am thinking about reflowing some of the connections. However I am not sure where all the pins go, because some of them might be not used. Does anybody have a schematics/pinout of the connector?

neoHannibal, we don't have a pinout of the EXP GDC. Can however use a digital multimeter doing continuity probes to identify what goes where. Though I'm not sure if the effort is worth it.

I did a fair bit of testing with BPlus socketted versus soldered products finding the latter was far better at maintaining a Gen2 link. Gen2 runs a 5Ghz clock where impedance matching is very important to avoid reflective noise which is probably where your EXP GDC falls apart.

You may take a chance on another EXP GDC or grab a PE4C 3.0? Both are linked at their best prices at:

https://egpu.io/external-gpu-buyers-guide-2017/#expresscard2-interface

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 (Q M1000M) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 1803 // compares M.2 vs TB3 performance inc unoptimized H-CPU BIOS [build link]  

ReplyQuote
neoHannibal
(@neohannibal)

Posted by: nando4

I I have noticed that one of the pins of the PCIe x16 connector has a blob on the pinnout (see picture:  https://goo.gl/photos/ChsArenpBDLksqHXA) also some of the other pins aren't soldered well either. I have an electronics background and am thinking about reflowing some of the connections. However I am not sure where all the pins go, because some of them might be not used. Does anybody have a schematics/pinout of the connector?

neoHannibal, we don't have a pinout of the EXP GDC. Can however use a digital multimeter doing continuity probes to identify what goes where. Though I'm not sure if the effort is worth it.

I did a fair bit of testing with BPlus socketted versus soldered products finding the latter was far better at maintaining a Gen2 link. Gen2 runs a 5Ghz clock where impedance matching is very important to avoid reflective noise which is probably where your EXP GDC falls apart.

You may take a chance on another EXP GDC or grab a PE4C 3.0? Both are linked at their best prices at:

https://egpu.io/external-gpu-buyers-guide-2017/#expresscard2-interface

Are you talking about the impedance matching at the HDMI connection or on the PCIe x16 slot itself? What impedance are the lines? At 5 GHz speeds this should probably be an impedance controlled microstrip all the way not some kind of HDMI cable crap. Do you know how many signal lines go through that HDMI cable? Do you have any specification/datasheet for PCIe Gen2?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

Are you talking about the impedance matching at the HDMI connection or on the PCIe x16 slot itself? What impedance are the lines? At 5 GHz speeds this should probably be an impedance controlled microstrip all the way not some kind of HDMI cable crap. Do you know how many signal lines go through that HDMI cable? Do you have any specification/datasheet for PCIe Gen2?

For PCIe Gen2 signalling specs look up PCI SIG documentation. There are two RX/TX pairs that form a lane for PCIe.
Here's an archive of BPlus' EC2C expresscard-to-mHDMI cable that may help you:

http://web.archive.org/web/20160317183717/http://www.hwtools.net/PDF/EC2C_Schematic.pdf

2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 (Q M1000M) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 1803 // compares M.2 vs TB3 performance inc unoptimized H-CPU BIOS [build link]  

ReplyQuote
neoHannibal
(@neohannibal)

I also found this  http://www.phasure.com/index.php?topic=2862.0 (there is a better quality pinout in a pdf there). From what can I see on my EXP GDC 7.2C there is an RX+ and RX- coming out from what I assume to be one of the HDMI's four twisted pairs. Then there is two lines coming out form what I agin assume to be a twisted pair from the HDMI and going on to what looks like two resistive voltage dividers. What could that be - TX+ and TX- or rather CLK+ and CLK-? Why would you lower the voltage? Is ExpressCard not 12V? Probably it is not 12V, can anybody confirm? But that would mean the RX+ and RX- being lower voltage than should go on PCIe port. There is also another pair coming of the HDMI connector which I assume would be the other signals that don't go onto the voltage dividers. Finally what could be on the last twisted pair, the two Card Presence detetion lines? there is also additional line which could be the CLKREQ signal. What I am concerned the most is that I can't see the twisted paits shieldings being grounded. That could be a huge factor in bad Gen2 performance.

ReplyQuote
metallus84
(@metallus84)

Hello neoHannibal

i followed information found here

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/diy-egpu-experiences.418851/page-876#post8356280

sonny_mv posts (you'll find some pics and a wiring diagram)

What i used is a standard HDMI TV cable with one ferrite core embedded on both side, cutted long max 30 cm and soldered into an used expresscard USB3.0 defective board (so i desoldered only expresscard slot and used to solder my wires, but you can do what sonny_mv done)

what i found is a cable with shielded twisted pair and an external shield. What is important, i think, is that i tried to put all this shield to GND (so no floating shield). Also the cable is round, not flat, so i thing that all twisted pairs are twisted eachother through the cable length.

Maybe the cable maybe good shielding, but i have full stable 2.0 pci-e 1x link (so happy)

i can not show you final work because i used hot glue to mechanically fix everything Smile but i can show you the other half cable cutted that i do not need anymore.

nando4:

i have my i5 now, benchamarks are better (16k 3dmark06) but what i noticed now is that seems that with internal LCD it is impossible to break the 100 FPS.

For example i achieved same results on 3dmark benchmark Icestorm (24k instead of 22k). Do you think that HD3000 is at its maximum and internal LCD is 100 FPS capped? Or it could be related to PCI Opt compression that is not (maybe) longer available?

Bye

2011 15" HP Probook 6560b [2nd,2C,M] + GTX 760 @ 4Gbps-EC2 (EXP GDC 8.4) + Win10 [build link]  

3RYL liked
ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

Posted by: metallus84

nando4:

i have my i5 now, benchamarks are better (16k 3dmark06) but what i noticed now is that seems that with internal LCD it is impossible to break the 100 FPS.

For example i achieved same results on 3dmark benchmark Icestorm (24k instead of 22k). Do you think that HD3000 is at its maximum and internal LCD is 100 FPS capped? Or it could be related to PCI Opt compression that is not (maybe) longer available?

Bye

Your 3dmark06 results are within the expected range. If PCI Opt compression wasn't working then would be seeing 3dmark06 of < 10k.  Consider, here's a i5-2540M + GTX660Ti under Win7. It saw a 3dmark06 score of 17893:
http://www.3dmark.com/3dm06/16899445

It has been reported that Optimus internal LCD mode has capped games at < 60Hz. Yours is the first mention of a 100hz cap.

3RYL liked
ReplyQuote
metallus84
(@metallus84)

so,

seems that i'm in better conditions now, i tried CS:GO and it is good. It runs around 100 FPS without v-sync. 60 with v-sync (and it is enough for me). Also BF1 tries to run but i think it is too much for my system. LCD resolution is low but game is heavy (2016 game vs 2011/2013 hardware).

thank you!

2011 15" HP Probook 6560b [2nd,2C,M] + GTX 760 @ 4Gbps-EC2 (EXP GDC 8.4) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
neoHannibal
(@neohannibal)

@metallus84 That would be great if you can show me the other half of the HDMI cable. What I have noticed while examinig the EXP GDC board (I have V7.2C) is that i am not sure whether the shilding of each twisted pair are grounded. It doesn't look like that on at the HDMI connector. Unfortunately the pins at the HDMI connector are so close to each other that I can't use a digital multimeter to check the connections.

ReplyQuote
metallus84
(@metallus84)

Here is the cable

and

Remember that my EXP GDC is 8.4d, i do not know what is evolution step from your version to mine

nando4 addition>> https://egpu.io/forums/expresscard-mpcie-m-2-adapters/exp-gdc-hdmi-to-mpcie-wiring-diagram/ tells us:

Courtesy of @wimpzilla  here.  It helps tremendously those users fixing or making their own EXP GDC cables like done here (HDMI to expresscard ).

HDMI Connector Pinout

Here you go!

BEWARE to asses correctly the pin number on the HDMI connector, you will notice that on the pic there is 2 lines with pin number.

The upper one is for the HDMI cable connector view, the line under is for the EXP GDC HDMI connector, since when you look at and pug it it invert the pin number.

3RYL and jeemaline liked
ReplyQuote
 of  4