Setup & Software Discussions
2009 14" Lenovo Thinkpad T400 [0th,2C,M] + GTX 650 @ 2Gbps-EC1 (EXP GDC 8.5c) + ...

2009 14" Lenovo Thinkpad T400 [0th,2C,M] + GTX 650 @ 2Gbps-EC1 (EXP GDC 8.5c) + Win10 [rickterp]  

RSS

rickterp
(@rickterp)

System specs:
Lenovo Thinkpad T400
14.1" screen 1440x900 LED LCD
Intel Core2Duo T9900 3.06Ghz
Intel GMA 4500MHD Integrated Graphics
500GB Samsung 860 EVO SSD
Windows 10 + Debian 10 Buster Dual Boot
8GB DDR3 RAM

eGPU hardware EXP GDC Beast 8.5c ExpressCard + Dell DA-2 220W PSU , HP EliteDisplay E231

Hardware pictures (To come)

Installation steps This was a project I attempted several times unsuccessfully up until recently. Here's how  I was able to get everything working on this machine:
Assemble card in dock, set PWR to always on the dock
Leave disconnected from laptop
Power on laptop
After post, select Windows 10 from boot menu. At this point, you can connect the expresscard
Once booting into Windows, you'll receive error 12. 
Follow the dsdt override guide from this site using the Microsoft method to recompile. 
Load the table in test-signing mode, then reboot. 
When the machine powers off, you'll need to disconnect the EGPU again or you'll end up in a boot loop
Once back at the windows log in screen, sleep your machine then reconnect the EGPU
Wake machine, log into windows and the large memory area will be present and the EGPU will be allocated. 

You can try to install the 306.97 driver which was the last to support Optimus for the GM45/47 chipset, but i haven't tinkered too much with that. 

Benchmarks

GPUZ
Valley Benchmark
Heaven Benchmark

All benchmarks completed on external display. 

Comments Good luck to anyone using and older system and trying to squeeze some more life out of it. This was a bit of a challenge, and I did obtain eGPU setup 1.35 which will also work if you force the EGPU to 32 bit, but i haven't been able to troubleshoot loading the dsdt file effectively. That software and my startup.bat always froze after multiple different configurations. The testsigning dsdt override load was effective however and I'll probably stick with that going forward. 

This topic was modified 2 months ago

T430 x GTX 1060

itsage and Liquid Web liked
ReplyQuote