2010 Mac Pro (RTX2070) [1st,4C,X] + RP WX 9100 @ 16Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + Win...

Notifications
Clear all

2010 Mac Pro (RTX2070) [1st,4C,X] + RP WX 9100 @ 16Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + Win10 1803 [itsage]  

of  9
  RSS

biglittlefrank
(@biglittlefrank)

This model:  https://www.amazon.com/XG-C100C-Network-Adapter-Single-RJ-45/dp/B072N84DG6/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_147_bs_t_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=YGEKVJ9WMD9628B9XPMR

At the moment, we use modified Intel X540-t2

Also, how can the Titan Ridge output video to a 5K Ultrafine? Does it need to be fed Display Port signals from the GPU?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

Posted by: biglittlefrank

Also, how can the Titan Ridge output video to a 5K Ultrafine? Does it need to be fed Display Port signals from the GPU?

Yes, two DisplayPort inputs to the Thunderbolt 3 controller must be used for the LG UltraFine 5K to achieve 5K60Hz resolution, no matter what Thunderbolt 3 controller is used.

For macOS, you need an AMD card. For Nvidia, there's a patch to make it support the LG 5K instead of the Dell 5K. Maybe Nvidia will add proper 5K dual link SST support one day to its macOS driver.

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
startergo
(@startergo)

Posted by: itsage

@rawweb The Mac Pro tower has gotten a lot of improvements via firmware updates. This is no coincident. My guess is the new 2019 Mac Pro has a couple of PCIe slots. It's amazing this 8 year old Mac Pro can run the following components through its four slots:

• Slot 1 x16 2.0: Nvidia RTX 2070 GPU [native boot screen, awaiting 10.14 web drivers]
  • Slot 2 x16 2.0: Samsung NVMe SSD + adapter [native boot support w/ firmware in 10.14.1]
  • Slot 3 x4 2.0: Aquantia AQtion 10G Pro NIC [native support since 10.13.2]
  • Slot 4 x4 2.0: Gigabyte GC-TITAN-RIDGE AIC [Thunderbolt 3 via Windows warm-boot]

For iMac Pro money, you can build a very competent Mac Pro tower. Keep a spare PSU though. 😀 

I am extremely curious what speeds you can achieve with the Gigabyte GC-TITAN-RIDGE AIC thunderbolt ?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@startergo The 2010 Mac Pro tower only has PCIe 2.0 so its max bandwidth is capped at roughly 1,5XX MB/s for the Thunderbolt connection. A certified Thunderbolt 3 system would have a max bandwidth of 2,7XX MB/s.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX 5600 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (VisionTek mini eGFX) + macOS 11 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

Posted by: startergo

I am extremely curious what speeds you can achieve with the Gigabyte GC-TITAN-RIDGE AIC thunderbolt ?

The speed will be determined by the slot you put the GC-TITAN RIDGE in. PCIe 1.0 (MacPro3,1 or older), PCIe 2.0 (MacPro3,1 or newer), PCIe 3.0 (connecting the AIC to a M.2 slot of a card with a PLX chip that has two or more M.2 slots such as the amfeltec or Highpoint cards).

I did some speed tests with a GC-TITAN RIDGE using a MacPro3,1 with a single Samsung 960 Pro at https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/testing-tb3-aic-with-mp-5-1.2143042/page-2#post-26629339

The write speed seems low. I should maybe test a RAID of NVMe devices to determine if it's the NVMe devices or AIC/thunderbolt connection that is causing the problem. And I should include tests with the NVMe directly connected to the slot (without Thunderbolt).

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

Posted by: joevt

PCIe 3.0 (connecting the AIC to a M.2 slot of a card with a PLX chip that has two or more M.2 slots such as the amfeltec or Highpoint cards).

I mentioned the M.2 cards because they are probably the cheapest way to get PCIe 3.0 in your old PCIe 2.0 computer. The ultimate full speed Thunderbolt setup (if you want something tidier and easier than using riser cables and M.2 adapters) would be to use something like this:
Dynapower USA Netstor NA255A 4-Slot External Performance Desktop PCIe Expansion Chassis
The extra PCIe slot openings will let you connect USB 2.0 devices to the GC-TITAN RIDGE via USB 2.0 9-pin to USB-A female connectors and USB-A male to USB-A male cables.

All those options are very expensive - maybe PCIe 2.0 is good enough until you buy a new computer. It also seems weird to use PCIe expansion to add Thunderbolt expansion.

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@joevt3 That visual of a Thunderbolt expansion card riding piggy-back on a PCIe expansion card inside the Mac Pro is weirdly funny.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX 5600 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (VisionTek mini eGFX) + macOS 11 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
startergo
(@startergo)

@itsage That seems slow. I ran speed tests on RAM disk in single, dual  raid 0 and quadruple raid 0 and I got almost 4000 MB/s in the quadruple setup for reading speed, the write speed was consistent at 2200-2300 MB/s

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

@itsage That seems slow. I ran speed tests on RAM disk in single, dual  raid 0 and quadruple raid 0 and I got almost 4000 MB/s in the quadruple setup for reading speed, the write speed was consistent at 2200-2300 MB/s

But this is Thunderbolt. Not RAM. What's your point? Also, your RAM tests seem slow, since people can get 6000 MB/s from NVMe RAID.

ReplyQuote
startergo
(@startergo)

Posted by: joevt

But this is Thunderbolt. Not RAM. What's your point? Also, your RAM tests seem slow, since people can get 6000 MB/s from NVMe RAID.

I guess that is the limitation in the RAM, I was expecting higher speeds too. My point was it is not worth it using thunderbolt 3 in cMP for nvme with those speeds.

ReplyQuote
 of  9