Setup & Software Discussions
2010 Mac Pro (RTX2070) [1st,4C,X] + RP WX 9100 @ 16Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + Win...

2010 Mac Pro (RTX2070) [1st,4C,X] + RP WX 9100 @ 16Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + Win10 1803 [itsage]  

of  2
  RSS

(@dennis_wander)
Eminent Member

It does! Luxmark 3,1 (luxball) gets me 25413 points. I'm not hack-savvy enough to go beyond this but if anyone has any tricks/suggestions to get more out of this setup I'd be happy to try

2015 15 inch Macbook Pro (2.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD)
2009 Mac Pro (6-core 3.33 GHz, 24GB RAM, Vega 56, macos 10.14.5 beta 2 & Windows 10 October edition, Apple SSUAX SSD, GC Titan Ridge TB3/USBC card)
Asus XG Station Pro w/ RX480 eGPU

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@dennis_wander Can you post a screen capture of System Information » Graphics/Displays tree? Connect the monitor to the external GPU too and see whether there’s detection in macOS.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use | eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
(@dennis_wander)
Eminent Member

I've made a small album of my setup and relevant screenshots from System Information.

The screen attached to the eGPU is definitely detected but I'm unable to get video output to it. It's connected via DP but HDMI gave the same result.

IMG 0222
IMG 0221
IMG 0220
Screenshot at Dec 06 22 43 06
Screenshot at Dec 06 22 42 50
Screenshot at Dec 06 22 41 32
Screenshot at Dec 06 22 41 00
Screenshot at Dec 06 22 39 10
Screenshot at Dec 06 22 38 53
Screenshot at Dec 06 22 38 39

2009 Mac Pro (6-core 3.33 GHz, 24GB RAM, Vega 56, macos 10.14.5 beta 2 & Windows 10 October edition, Apple SSUAX SSD, GC Titan Ridge TB3/USBC card)

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
JinyuanLyu
(@jinyuanlyu)

Could you show me the speed of H2D on it with Mantiz Venus?
I can not find any infomation about it,is 12G or 14g?
I just want to know the performance of half TB3 

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@jinyuanlyu You can check through the user builds with the Mantiz Venus. This 2010 Mac Pro build is a proof of concept running through PCIe 2.0 so it does not reflect the native TB3 to PCIe 3.0 x4 connection.

ReplyQuote
Gilles Goetsch
(@ealchemist)

This is awesome. Running  a 12 Core MacPro here.

Can I run an LG5k @5k using the Titan Ridge hooked to a Radeon 7970?

So theoretically a variety of thunderbol3 devices should be supported. Are both Ports usable, which one do we use for 5k output?

This is awesome, again.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@ealchemist To get 5K monitor output, you actually don’t need a functional Thunderbolt AIC in macOS. While I have not tested this inside the 2010 Mac Pro tower, I was able to produce TB3 monitor output in eGPU enclosures. Here’s a build with the Mantiz Venus + GC-ALPINE-RIDGE and another with Sonnet Breakaway Box + GC-ALPINE-RIDGE.

Both ports work in various systems I tested. I usually use Port 1 when I connect components/displays/adapters.

This post was modified 11 months ago

ReplyQuote
(@mark_symms)

Little Advice from the group?
I have a MP 4,1 - > 5,1 two Xeon 6-core and 16Gb RAM
Still running the GTX 120.

I do a lot of photo editing and graphics work, so I am looking for a better GPU.
AND Yes, I have Windows 10 and want to do some VR/Gaming
My question then is do scrap my current system and get something newer (have about $600 invested to date) OR continue and work on getting an eGPU or just drop a better card in the tower; although I may lose the boot otpion

TIA
mark

-mark
Mac Pro 5,1
OSX 10.13.6

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@mark_symms The Mac Pro tower can handle RX Vega 56 internally with stock PSU. You may need a pair of mini-PCIe to 8-pin PCIe power booster cables. In the US, they are around $350 atm. You can also go with RX 580 for around $200.

While there’s no boot selector with these newer AMD cards, you can use software utilities such as Bootchamp. I have my Mac Pro default to booting macOS then use Bootchamp to boot into Windows partition when I need to.

ReplyQuote
(@mark_symms)

@itsage - That is awesome news.  Will the RX Vega plug-n-play? Or will I need to do some tinkerin'?  Bootchamp - I had no idea.  Thought I was stuck.

-mark
Mac Pro 5,1
OSX 10.13.6

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

macOS 10.13 and 10.14 have native drivers for the RX Vega so it’s plug-and-play once you have the proper power cables. Don’t go with RX Vega 64 because the stock power boosters + slot can’t handle it. To use Bootchamp you’d need to disable SIP.

ReplyQuote
(@mark_symms)

Perfect!  Any particular brand  of RX Vega or RX580?  Have you had better luck with some over others?  Newegg has both on sale today

-mark
Mac Pro 5,1
OSX 10.13.6

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

I’d recommend PowerColor. Sapphire would be the best but they don’t often go on sales.

ReplyQuote
(@mark_symms)

Great will pick one up today.  Thank you very much for your time.

-mark
Mac Pro 5,1
OSX 10.13.6

ReplyQuote
(@thomas_geist)

With all this hassle concerning the Nvidia web drivers not being available for macOS 10.14 I too switched to a RX 580 card (Gigabyte). Works flawlessly and seems about as fast as the Nvidia GTX 980 Ti I used before. Got the card for $200 - for the flashed Nvidia card I payed around $1000 some time ago!

Installation was easy and the card works well (besides the missing boot screen which currently is no issue). Installation of macOS 10.14 was a bit of a PITA since 10.13 must be installed first and from that 10.14 can be installed. (Mac Pro 5,1 Mid 2010 for me).

I am mostly using Photoshop, Lightroom (still runs sluggish as hell - shame on you Adobe!) and Phase One Capture One which utilizes the GPU very well.

Now I am curious how the upcoming Radeon VII cards will perform. Anybody have any idea how they will stack up against the current Nvidia cards?

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@thomas_geist Reports from an ODM in Taiwan said the Radeon VII is very competitive with RTX 2080 in Windows gaming performance. This new GPU is not working in macOS atm. Apple has started adding PCI ID 66af into AMD10000Controller.kext and AMDRadeonX5000HWServices.kext. I’m hoping Radeon VII makes it into the 2019 Mac Pro. A launch at WWDC2019 would be awesome!

ReplyQuote
(@mark_symms)

@thomas_geist I too use mostly Lightroom and PS, some AI.  Ordered the RX Vega 56 yesterday.  Will report back after I see how the Adobe apps perform.

-mark

-mark
Mac Pro 5,1
OSX 10.13.6

ReplyQuote
(@mark_symms)

So the PowerColor Radeon Vega 56 arrived today.  I did order the power cables (6 pin and 8 pin) and they plugged right in.  However, when I powered up the Mac Pro, nothing but a black screen.  Running OSX 10.13.6.  Had to put my GTX 120 back in so it would work.  Thoughts?

UPDATE:  I did check the cables with a voltmeter.  They are putting out 12+v  from pertinent pins.  The card lights up, fans don't come on yet, and no video.

This post was modified 9 months ago

-mark
Mac Pro 5,1
OSX 10.13.6

ReplyQuote
(@buick_wong)

@itsage I see a 3-5 pin short mode on you thunderbolt header cable. What does that mean? It is required for the Thunderbolt AIC to Work? Thanks.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

Posted by: goalque

I know that a 2011 Mac mini can understand my EFI app but never thought that you can actually run it on a 2010 Mac Pro. Did you try to tick on “Launch on startup” setting and then boot with a single GPU only (eGPU disconnected)? Does it show the custom EFI boot screen and can you continue booting into macOS/Windows? (don’t hold down the Option key on the second startup).

Hi @goalque, sorry for the long delay in testing your EFI app on the Mac Pro 5,1. I tried it this morning and your app was able to load up (w/o holding OPTION key) after I selected “Launch on startup”. The connected Thunderbolt 3 eGPU was present as well. The next step of boot is what I got stuck at. The EFI boot loader could not advance into either Windows or macOS partition. I followed your instructions on automate-eGPU EFI page to remove apple_set_os.efi and change mux configuration to 1.

Booting without your EFI app and eGPU connected would let me get into Windows partition but not macOS. The system would hang 70% of the way and I could even hear the whooss fan noise from RX 580 eGPU. I attempted multiple hot-plugs from warm boot too but no go with macOS Thunderbolt 3 eGPU on this 5,1 + Titan Ridge AIC just yet. Thunderbolt 3 dock like the Mantiz Titan worked well.

Posted by: Buick Wong

@itsage I see a 3-5 pin short mode on you thunderbolt header cable. What does that mean? It is required for the Thunderbolt AIC to Work? Thanks.

Shorting these two pins forces the Titan Ridge AIC to activate even when there’s no Thunderbolt 3 devices connected prior to boot. It’s helpful during the set up process so that you know the Thunderbolt 3 controller is active and the operating system should be able to detect the AIC [more info here]. I’ve observed this power-active mode of the Titan Ridge card interferes with Sleep/Suspense mode in Windows 10 and Linux.

This post was modified 8 months ago

ReplyQuote
(@dennis_wander)
Eminent Member

Did you get any progress with this setup? Been able to get video out of the eGPU graphics card?

ReplyQuote
(@dennis_wander)
Eminent Member

Now running macos 10.14.5 beta 2 and I'm able to get video output through the eGPU as well!

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@dennis_wander Are we talking about the Thunderbolt 3 eGPU with your 2009 Mac Pro? If so can you share more information of your setup and boot up procedure?

ReplyQuote
(@dennis_wander)
Eminent Member

That one indeed. So some details:

2009 4,1-->5,1 Mac Pro, W3680, Vega 56, GC Titan Ridge, LG 34UC88, macos 10.14.5 beta 2 + Windows 10 October Edition
eGPU: XG Station Pro w/RX480 connected to the Titan Ridge with a TB3 cable

Booted into Windows with the monitor plugged into the Vega in the cMP. Switch monitor to the RX 480 in the eGPU, gives display. Then warm boot into macos, wait a minute and there you go, video through eGPU.

Let me know if you'd like any more info.

On another note, I've also got the Asus MB169C+ USB-C display to work nicely with the Titan Ridge (use the minidp --> dp cable included between your GPU and the Titan Ridge, then plug in the MB169C+ into one of the TB3 ports on the Titan Ridge, works instantly)

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@dennis_wander That is excellent! Thank you. I will give this another try when I have time to swap components. I have the ASUS USB-C display too for this purpose. It would be fun to use RTX or GTX 1660/Ti through the USB-C port of these cards. They have Boot Screen support for the Mac Pro tower. Reading through your boot up procedure, I believe the boot hang I experienced was due to having Nvidia dGPU and AMD eGPU. Which Boot Option utility are you using in macOS?

This post was modified 7 months ago

ReplyQuote
(@dennis_wander)
Eminent Member

Sadly I don't have any RTX/GTX cards for testing, the boot screen support sounds very interesting. Shame there's no macos drivers.

For Macos, I simply used the Startup Disk function in System Preferences. Several third party utilities gave me headaches or broke the bootability of my Bootcamp partition (requiring reinstalls...). And indeed, I'd recommend just using AMD cards or at least older NVidia cards to rule out any issues arising from the new series.

As for the Asus screen, it really depends on which model you have exactly. Mine (MB169C+) needs an USB-C port capable of DP and power delivery. Would not work on a 2015 MBP with a TB2-->TB3 converter. Some other models simply need USB3 but are also worse quality (lag etc)

ReplyQuote
(@mark_hensley)

So, to confirm  
Titan Ridge only works with Mojave

https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/script-enable-egpu-on-tb1-2-macs-on-macos-10-13-4/#post-33102

Macbook Pro 2011 15"
Sonnet Breakaway
GTX 1080
High Sierra 10.13.6

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@mark_hensley It may be possible in 10.13.

ReplyQuote
(@mark_hensley)

Posted by: itsage

@mark_hensley It may be possible in 10.13.

Actually looks like it does.
Running High Sierra and It's seeing the 5770 in the sonnet egpu case I have.
Picking up the 1080ti I got for $500 int he next day or so.
I'll have the 1080ti In the Mac Pro, and the 1080 in the Sonnet for Davinci Resolve.

Screen Shot 2019 04 24 at 5.54.29 PM

https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/script-enable-egpu-on-tb1-2-macs-on-macos-10-13-4/#post-33102

Macbook Pro 2011 15"
Sonnet Breakaway
GTX 1080
High Sierra 10.13.6

ReplyQuote
mtbnate
(@mtbnate)

@itsage

where is the thb cable going to?

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Prominent Member

@mtbnate
A GC-TITAN RIDGE is installed in a PCIe slot of the 2010 Mac Pro. The GC-TITAN RIDGE has two Thunderbolt 3 ports. A 2m Thunderbolt 3 cable connects one of those Thunderbolt 3 ports to the Thunderbolt 3 port of the Mantiz Venus eGPU box. The Mantiz Venus contains an AMD Radeon Pro WX 9100.

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
mtbnate
(@mtbnate)

@joevt

I meant the black cable coming off the back of the Titan Ridge in the picture. the Mac Pro shouldnt have a place to connect that but if he figured out something that would be sweet

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Prominent Member

@mtbnate

I thought that's what you meant but "thb" ≠ "Thunderbolt motherboard header cable". The cable goes nowhere. One end is connected to the GC-TITAN RIDGE. The other end is used to connect a jumper between two of the pins - look closely and you'll see a tiny red U-shaped wire.

There's a couple more examples of the jumper wire at:
https://egpu.io/forums/thunderbolt-enclosures/list-of-intel-titan-ridge-thunderbolt-3-devices/paged/3/#post-44262
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/testing-tb3-aic-with-mp-5-1.2143042/post-26680055

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
 of  2