2010 Mac Pro (RTX2070) [1st,4C,X] + RP WX 9100 @ 16Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + Win...

Notifications
Clear all

2010 Mac Pro (RTX2070) [1st,4C,X] + RP WX 9100 @ 16Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + Win10 1803 [itsage]  

of  3
  RSS

itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@mac_editor, Sorry PHP email server is not the best with delivery. We will look into a more robust email solution.

I'm excited to test the modified FW GC-TITAN-RIDGE AIC with the 5,1 and different Ryzen systems!

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@itsage, looking forward to the tests. Working with firmware has always been a challenge due to its nature - glad that together we are unraveling the mysteries. 

Recently built an AMD-only system myself. Looking forward to try some more things with it too. 

purge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance
2018 MacBook Pro 15" RP560X + RX 5700 XT (Mantiz Venus)

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@mac_editor, If you plan on running macOS on the AMD system, definitely look into OpenCore. I tried it on my 5,1 and it opens up a lot more possibilities. 

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

I received the modded GC-TITAN-RIDGE AIC from Germany. Once I made changes in OpenCore config.plist file, my Mac Pro tower can see the Thunderbolt 3 card right away. Hot-plug detection works but I don't believe the Thunderbolt 3 peripherals work until a warm boot. Firmware modification alone doesn't make it work. There's a SSDT file being loaded through OpenCore during boot up. Here are some screen captures.

Shortly after I joined the 20 unit group buy, DSM2 team decided to share the modded firmware publicly. If you want to give it a try, download the BIN file and flash it onto a stock GC-TITAN-RIDGE Thunderbolt 3 card. The OpenCore zip is unique for Mac Pro 5,1 only. Hackintosh and other systems may need other configuration changes.

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

@itsage, the link speed is reported incorrectly or you are not getting 40 Gbps?

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
cnon297
(@cnon297)
Eminent Member

Hi @mark_symms, I missed this thread previously and was wondering if your PowerColor Vega 56 issues were resolved (I didn't see further updates since your black screen issue).  I own a similar 2009 Mac Pro upgraded to 5,1 (6-core Xeon 3.46GHz) and a PowerColor Red Dragon Vega 56 which works fine running macOS 10.13.6.  I've held off upgrading my tower to macOS 10.14 since I also own some Nvidia GFX cards that I occasionally install.

LMK if you were unable to resolve the issue; I may be able to help troubleshoot given our similar Mac Pro setups.  One suggestion would be to try leaving your GT120 in slot 2 with the monitor attached while your Vega 56 is in slot 1.  That way you can access preferences to see if your Vega 56 is recognized.  

A 2nd suggestion would be to set the Vega 56 BIOS switch to Quiet mode.  This reduces performance but also reduces power draw.  Some Vega 56 cards have Turbo BIOS settings that significantly increase power draw which can cause issues with the 2012 & earlier Mac Pros.  

This post was modified 4 weeks ago

2019 13" CTO MBPro dual TB3 4-core 1.4GHz i5 + Akitio Node + Vega56
2009 Mac Pro 5,1 with 3.47 6-core Xeon + AMD Radeon HD 7970 (flashed)

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@joevt, I'm not sure if the link speed is accurate. The Thunderbolt 3 NVMe drive started working after a warm boot and posted as high a x4 PCIe 2.0 speed as it could run.

When the computer goes to sleep, the Thunderbolt 3 devices get disconnected. A warm boot following wake from sleep doesn't show the devices as detected. At the current configuration in OpenCore and this FW, Thunderbolt device seems to behave similar to what I've experienced with the stock AIC. First boot for detection then warm boot for functionality. What you gain through this solution is no Windows requirement and Thunderbolt tree in System Information.

ReplyQuote
(@mark_symms)

@cnon297, Yes, I did get it resolved.  After several attempts to get the MB power to work, I went with the Pixlas mod. It works great now.  For me it was a power issue.  Once the gpu got enough current it fired right up.

Hope this helps.

-mark

-mark
Mac Pro 5,1
OSX 10.13.6

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
cnon297
(@cnon297)
Eminent Member

@mark_symms, I’d never read about the Pixlas mod before.  That’s impressive and the finished result is much cleaner than using PCI power connectors on the mobo (IMO).   I suspect it allows for improved air flow through the PCI bays as well.

I’ve never experienced shutdowns with my ’09 Mac Pro (6-core 3.46GHz) despite using R7970, 980TI, 1080Ti, and Vega56 cards.  I wonder if power issues are more common with dual Xeon models?

2019 13" CTO MBPro dual TB3 4-core 1.4GHz i5 + Akitio Node + Vega56
2009 Mac Pro 5,1 with 3.47 6-core Xeon + AMD Radeon HD 7970 (flashed)

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

@itsage, restart wouldn't be required if there was an interrupt or ACPI signal that occurred during hot plug, and we had code to trigger IOPCIConfigurator to reenumerate PCI devices on the Thunderbolt bus. Even without a signal, the code could be started manually...

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@joevt, I was surprised by that behavior too. Will be testing more in the coming weeks. OpenCore does allow for easy system updates. I enrolled my 5,1 to Developer Beta and the process works as if the Mac Pro tower was natively supported by Catalina.

ReplyQuote
 of  3