2010 Mac Pro (RTX2070) [1st,4C,X] + RP WX 9100 @ 16Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + Win...

Notifications
Clear all

2010 Mac Pro (RTX2070) [1st,4C,X] + RP WX 9100 @ 16Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + Win10 1803 [itsage]  

of  9
  RSS

joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

Posted by: startergo

I guess that is the limitation in the RAM, I was expecting higher speeds too. My point was it is not worth it using thunderbolt 3 in cMP for nvme with those speeds.

1500 MB/s is not so bad. It's faster than Thunderbolt 2, faster than USB 3.1 gen 2, faster than a RAID of 2 or 3 SSDs. Maybe less expensive NVMe drives are a better choice at this speed (they don't all allow 3000+ MB/s). But Thunderbolt is not all about storage. You can use USB-C and Thunderbolt displays and docks, Thunderbolt PCIe expansion boxes, Thunderbolt and USB peripherals, etc.

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
startergo
(@startergo)

Posted by: joevt
Posted by: startergo

I guess that is the limitation in the RAM, I was expecting higher speeds too. My point was it is not worth it using thunderbolt 3 in cMP for nvme with those speeds.

1500 MB/s is not so bad. It's faster than Thunderbolt 2, faster than USB 3.1 gen 2, faster than a RAID of 2 or 3 SSDs. Maybe less expensive NVMe drives are a better choice at this speed (they don't all allow 3000+ MB/s). But Thunderbolt is not all about storage. You can use USB-C and Thunderbolt displays and docks, Thunderbolt PCIe expansion boxes, Thunderbolt and USB peripherals, etc.

Yeah that makes sense. It is probably wiser to use this card instead of PCIe USB 3.1 card at least. Plus Thunderbolt displays. Now there was another version on Amazon GIGABYTE GC-Titan Ridge. Wouldn't that be a better option?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
turluttu
(@turluttu)

Posted by: itsage

@biglittlefrank Which specific model of 10GbE have you tried? I read there are issues with the first production of Sonnet Solo 10G cards.

Can you send a link to a post where it says that there are problems with Sonnet cards? Thanks!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Mandril420
(@mandril420)

Hi @itsage. Did you need to power your TitanRidge card? I 've seen that you did not connect the power cables. I am using an AlpineRidge card and everything works good (no thunderbolt of course) but I get an image on my LG 5K and Led Cinema 27 booting from a shutdown. If I use the TitanRidge card instead then both monitors stay black and do not power on. 

I am using both the AlpineRidge and TitanRidge card (not at the same time) without the cable and the jumper. I am gonna try that next on the TitanRidge. Just wanted to know from you if it was necessary to power the TitanRidge card with the 2 6pin connectors for it to work on the MacPro. I will keep 1 of the cards and return the other one to Amazon. Thank you!!

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@mandril420 I did not connect the PCIe power cables in the 2010 Mac Pro at all. They are for Power Delivery feature which I had no need.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
biglittlefrank
(@biglittlefrank)

Got an NVMe blade to work via a HighPoint TB3 enclosure. 

Full speed.

@itsage why did you short pin 3 and 5?

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

Posted by: biglittlefrank

Got an NVMe blade to work via a HighPoint TB3 enclosure. 

Full speed.

@itsage why did you short pin 3 and 5?

Full speed is not possible using a classic Mac Pro because the classic Mac Pro has PCIe 2.0 slots. Either you're not using a Classic Mac Pro, or you are using low speed NVMe, or you are defining "Full speed" as the max allowed by the PCIe 2.0 slots.

Shorting pin 3 and pin 5 makes the GC-TITAN RIDGE controller power on it's pci devices from a cold boot with nothing connected so you can at least use its USB controller. A warm boot into macOS from Windows is required to see Thunderbolt devices connected to the Thunderbolt 3 ports.
https://egpu.io/forums/thunderbolt-enclosures/list-of-intel-titan-ridge-thunderbolt-3-devices/paged/3/#post-44262
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/testing-tb3-aic-with-mp-5-1.2143042/page-3#post-26680055

Maybe Shorting pin 3 and pin 5 is not useful on computers with some Thunderbolt support.

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
Thomas Geist
(@thomas_geist)

@itsage So this RTX 2070 is not a flashed card, is it? Did you already know that the Mac Pro would start up with it or did you just give it a wild try?

I currently have a flashed GeForce GTX 980 Ti in my Mac Pro 5,1 but the problem is that the 6 GB VRAM are most likely not enough to fluently drive my 4k screen (BenQ SW320). Any window that uses most or all of the screen runs jaggy.

NVIDIA's RTX 2080 cards have 8 GB VRAM - I wonder if that's enough. EVGA have a RTX 2080 card with 11 GB VRAM, but then there's the question whether that one will need flashing or not.

ReplyQuote
Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)
Prominent Member Moderator

@thomas_geist - Considering I've been driving a 5K monitor plus a 4K one with a GTX980Ti without issues, I highly doubt that is your problem. Granted, I am on Windows, but I doubt the OS X graphical environment is more demanding than entire games. @itsage also has a 5K monitor he has been driving with various eGPUs in OS X, so I am pretty sure he'd say the same thing with regards to your problem.

Want to output [email protected] out of an old system on the cheap? Read here.
Give your Node Pro a second Thunderbolt3 controller for reliable peripherals by re-using a TB3 dock (~50$).

"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."- Robert A. Heinlein, "Time Enough for Love."

2012 14" Lenovo Thinkpad T430s [3rd,2C,M] + RX 550 @ 10Gbps-TB1 (Atto Thunderlink) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Thomas Geist
(@thomas_geist)

@yukikaze Well, I'm not running games, I am running photo software (Lightroom and Phase One Capture One to be specific) and both these applications run absolutely fluid if I scale down their windows. If I have their windows using the whole screen then scrolling through thumbnails or actions like rotating get jaggy.

I recently talked to a guy at Puget Systems (www.pugetsystems.com) who customize computers specifically to apps that clients are using and he came up with the idea that 6 GB VRAM might be the problem ...

ReplyQuote
 of  9