2010 Mac Pro (RTX2070) [1st,4C,E] + RP WX 9100 @ 16Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + Win...

Notifications
Clear all

2010 Mac Pro (RTX2070) [1st,4C,E] + RP WX 9100 @ 16Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + Win10 1803 [itsage]  

of  9
  RSS

Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)
Noble Member Moderator

Ah, okay. If there is professional software involved, you may well be right. I just read your post to imply that the whole desktop environment was laggy.

Want to output 4K@60Hz out of an old system on the cheap? Read here.
Give your Node Pro a second Thunderbolt3 controller for reliable peripherals by re-using a TB3 dock (~50$).

"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."- Robert A. Heinlein, "Time Enough for Love."

2012 Mac Mini [3rd,4C,Q] + RX 480 @ 10Gbps-TB1 (Atto Thunderlink) + macOS 10.15.7 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Thomas Geist
(@thomas_geist)

Hey @itsage sorry to bother you! I was hoping you could post a quick reply to my questions further up. Would be SUPER helpful for me.

Thank you so much!
Thomas

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

Posted by: Thomas Geist

@itsage So this RTX 2070 is not a flashed card, is it? Did you already know that the Mac Pro would start up with it or did you just give it a wild try?

I currently have a flashed GeForce GTX 980 Ti in my Mac Pro 5,1 but the problem is that the 6 GB VRAM are most likely not enough to fluently drive my 4k screen (BenQ SW320). Any window that uses most or all of the screen runs jaggy.

NVIDIA's RTX 2080 cards have 8 GB VRAM - I wonder if that's enough. EVGA have a RTX 2080 card with 11 GB VRAM, but then there's the question whether that one will need flashing or not.

The Founder Edition RTX series GPUs have UGA support that enables boot screen in the Mac Pro tower. I read a report on Create.Pro and decided to try for myself. There's no modification or flashing at all. It worked on both RTX 2070 and 2080. I can't comment on whether these new RTX cards will help with your current issue. On top of that, there's an indefinite delay on Nvidia web drivers for macOS Mojave.

Unless you need to access the boot selector on a daily basis, I don't see the needs for UGA support. My recommendation is to go with an RX Vega 56. If you need CUDA, GTX 1080 is a nice choice for 10.13.6 or older.

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2021 14" Microsoft Surface Laptop Studio [11th,4C,H] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (WD_Black D50) + Win11 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Thomas Geist
(@thomas_geist)

Thank you!!

Not really in a hurry to upgrade to Mojave - High Sierra is working fine for me.

I am running an image editing software, Capture One by Phase One and up until now they use OpenCL for acceleration if I'm not mistaken. I need to check with them how their stance is on Metal 2 in Mojave.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Dennis Wander
(@dennis_wander)
Eminent Member

So I've set up a Mac Pro 5,1 with the Titan Ridge card (also the 3+5 pin short mod). After warm-booting through Windows, I'm actually able to boot with an Asus XG Station pro (outfitted with a Vega 56 MSI) connected!. It does not give me any devices in Thunderbolt, nor am I able to connect monitors to it. However, I do see the card in the Graphics/Displays tab. If there are any things you'd like tested in this setup I'd be happy to help.

2015 15 inch Macbook Pro (2.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD)
2009 Mac Pro (6-core 3.33 GHz, 24GB RAM, Vega 56, macos 10.14.5 beta 2 & Windows 10 October edition, Apple SSUAX SSD, GC Titan Ridge TB3/USBC card)
Asus XG Station Pro w/ RX480 eGPU

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@dennis_wander Good to hear you have success with the Titan Ridge AIC in the 5,1. Does the eGPU work when you run something like Luxmark?

2021 14" Microsoft Surface Laptop Studio [11th,4C,H] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (WD_Black D50) + Win11 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Dennis Wander
(@dennis_wander)
Eminent Member

It does! Luxmark 3,1 (luxball) gets me 25413 points. I'm not hack-savvy enough to go beyond this but if anyone has any tricks/suggestions to get more out of this setup I'd be happy to try

2009 Mac Pro (6-core 3.33 GHz, 24GB RAM, Vega 56, macos 10.14.5 beta 2 & Windows 10 October edition, Apple SSUAX SSD, GC Titan Ridge TB3/USBC card)

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@dennis_wander Can you post a screen capture of System Information » Graphics/Displays tree? Connect the monitor to the external GPU too and see whether there's detection in macOS.

ReplyQuote
Dennis Wander
(@dennis_wander)
Eminent Member

I've made a small album of my setup and relevant screenshots from System Information.

The screen attached to the eGPU is definitely detected but I'm unable to get video output to it. It's connected via DP but HDMI gave the same result.

IMG 0222
IMG 0221
IMG 0220
Screenshot at Dec 06 22 43 06
Screenshot at Dec 06 22 42 50
Screenshot at Dec 06 22 41 32
Screenshot at Dec 06 22 41 00
Screenshot at Dec 06 22 39 10
Screenshot at Dec 06 22 38 53
Screenshot at Dec 06 22 38 39

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
JinyuanLyu
(@jinyuanlyu)

Could you show me the speed of H2D on it with Mantiz Venus?
I can not find any infomation about it,is 12G or 14g?
I just want to know the performance of half TB3 

ReplyQuote
 of  9