2010 Mac Pro (RTX2070) [1st,4C,X] + RP WX 9100 @ 16Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + Win...

Notifications
Clear all

2010 Mac Pro (RTX2070) [1st,4C,X] + RP WX 9100 @ 16Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + Win10 1803 [itsage]  

of  9
  RSS

Thomas Geist
(@thomas_geist)

With all this hassle concerning the Nvidia web drivers not being available for macOS 10.14 I too switched to a RX 580 card (Gigabyte). Works flawlessly and seems about as fast as the Nvidia GTX 980 Ti I used before. Got the card for $200 - for the flashed Nvidia card I payed around $1000 some time ago!

Installation was easy and the card works well (besides the missing boot screen which currently is no issue). Installation of macOS 10.14 was a bit of a PITA since 10.13 must be installed first and from that 10.14 can be installed. (Mac Pro 5,1 Mid 2010 for me).

I am mostly using Photoshop, Lightroom (still runs sluggish as hell - shame on you Adobe!) and Phase One Capture One which utilizes the GPU very well.

Now I am curious how the upcoming Radeon VII cards will perform. Anybody have any idea how they will stack up against the current Nvidia cards?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@thomas_geist Reports from an ODM in Taiwan said the Radeon VII is very competitive with RTX 2080 in Windows gaming performance. This new GPU is not working in macOS atm. Apple has started adding PCI ID 66af into AMD10000Controller.kext and AMDRadeonX5000HWServices.kext. I'm hoping Radeon VII makes it into the 2019 Mac Pro. A launch at WWDC2019 would be awesome!

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Mark Symms
(@mark_symms)

@thomas_geist I too use mostly Lightroom and PS, some AI.  Ordered the RX Vega 56 yesterday.  Will report back after I see how the Adobe apps perform.

-mark

-mark
Mac Pro 5,1
OSX 10.13.6

ReplyQuote
Mark Symms
(@mark_symms)

So the PowerColor Radeon Vega 56 arrived today.  I did order the power cables (6 pin and 8 pin) and they plugged right in.  However, when I powered up the Mac Pro, nothing but a black screen.  Running OSX 10.13.6.  Had to put my GTX 120 back in so it would work.  Thoughts?

UPDATE:  I did check the cables with a voltmeter.  They are putting out 12+v  from pertinent pins.  The card lights up, fans don't come on yet, and no video.

This post was modified 1 year ago

-mark
Mac Pro 5,1
OSX 10.13.6

ReplyQuote
Buick Wong
(@buick_wong)

@itsage I see a 3-5 pin short mode on you thunderbolt header cable. What does that mean? It is required for the Thunderbolt AIC to Work? Thanks.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

Posted by: goalque

I know that a 2011 Mac mini can understand my EFI app but never thought that you can actually run it on a 2010 Mac Pro. Did you try to tick on "Launch on startup" setting and then boot with a single GPU only (eGPU disconnected)? Does it show the custom EFI boot screen and can you continue booting into macOS/Windows? (don't hold down the Option key on the second startup).

Hi @goalque, sorry for the long delay in testing your EFI app on the Mac Pro 5,1. I tried it this morning and your app was able to load up (w/o holding OPTION key) after I selected "Launch on startup". The connected Thunderbolt 3 eGPU was present as well. The next step of boot is what I got stuck at. The EFI boot loader could not advance into either Windows or macOS partition. I followed your instructions on automate-eGPU EFI page to remove apple_set_os.efi and change mux configuration to 1.

Booting without your EFI app and eGPU connected would let me get into Windows partition but not macOS. The system would hang 70% of the way and I could even hear the whooss fan noise from RX 580 eGPU. I attempted multiple hot-plugs from warm boot too but no go with macOS Thunderbolt 3 eGPU on this 5,1 + Titan Ridge AIC just yet. Thunderbolt 3 dock like the Mantiz Titan worked well.

Posted by: Buick Wong

@itsage I see a 3-5 pin short mode on you thunderbolt header cable. What does that mean? It is required for the Thunderbolt AIC to Work? Thanks.

Shorting these two pins forces the Titan Ridge AIC to activate even when there's no Thunderbolt 3 devices connected prior to boot. It's helpful during the set up process so that you know the Thunderbolt 3 controller is active and the operating system should be able to detect the AIC [more info here]. I've observed this power-active mode of the Titan Ridge card interferes with Sleep/Suspense mode in Windows 10 and Linux.

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Dennis Wander
(@dennis_wander)
Eminent Member

Did you get any progress with this setup? Been able to get video out of the eGPU graphics card?

2015 15 inch Macbook Pro (2.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD)
2009 Mac Pro (6-core 3.33 GHz, 24GB RAM, Vega 56, macos 10.14.5 beta 2 & Windows 10 October edition, Apple SSUAX SSD, GC Titan Ridge TB3/USBC card)
Asus XG Station Pro w/ RX480 eGPU

ReplyQuote
Dennis Wander
(@dennis_wander)
Eminent Member

Now running macos 10.14.5 beta 2 and I'm able to get video output through the eGPU as well!

2009 Mac Pro (6-core 3.33 GHz, 24GB RAM, Vega 56, macos 10.14.5 beta 2 & Windows 10 October edition, Apple SSUAX SSD, GC Titan Ridge TB3/USBC card)

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@dennis_wander Are we talking about the Thunderbolt 3 eGPU with your 2009 Mac Pro? If so can you share more information of your setup and boot up procedure?

ReplyQuote
Dennis Wander
(@dennis_wander)
Eminent Member

That one indeed. So some details:

2009 4,1-->5,1 Mac Pro, W3680, Vega 56, GC Titan Ridge, LG 34UC88, macos 10.14.5 beta 2 + Windows 10 October Edition
eGPU: XG Station Pro w/RX480 connected to the Titan Ridge with a TB3 cable

Booted into Windows with the monitor plugged into the Vega in the cMP. Switch monitor to the RX 480 in the eGPU, gives display. Then warm boot into macos, wait a minute and there you go, video through eGPU.

Let me know if you'd like any more info.

On another note, I've also got the Asus MB169C+ USB-C display to work nicely with the Titan Ridge (use the minidp --> dp cable included between your GPU and the Titan Ridge, then plug in the MB169C+ into one of the TB3 ports on the Titan Ridge, works instantly)

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
 of  9