2011 13" MacBook Pro [2nd,2C,M] + RX 470 @ 10Gbps-TB1>TB3 (Zotac AMP Box Mini) + macOS 10.13.6 [Otto Barea]
System specs (model inc screen size, CPU, iGPU, dGPU, operating system)
- MacBook Pro 2011 Mid 2011 13", i5 2.4GHz, Intel HD Graphics 3000, High Sierra 10.13.6 (17G5019)
- 8 GB RAM, 512 GB Samsung SSD 830
- 25-inch (1080p) @ 240Hz, Alienware 2518Hf
eGPU hardware (eGPU enclosure, video card, any third-party TB3 cable, any custom mods)
- Zotac AMP Box mini, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX570 ITX, StarTech thunderbolt 2 cable + Apple TB1>TB3 adapter
- I'm not using the USB ports on the Zotac Box mini, as they have poor performance.
Installation steps (what did you do to get it all going?)
To connect the Macbook to the eGPU, I used an Apple Thunderbolt 3 to 1 adapter.
The first thing I did was to disable System Integrity Protection using this guide:
The command I ran from the console:
$ csrutil disable
To enable the eGPU i used " purge-wrangler ". I just followed the instructions in this page:
I need to look for any susitable software for macOS.
I do not run Windows on this machine
Comments (eg: how has the eGPU improved your workflow or gaming)
I use this eGPU when working on my windows PC just becuase I like 240Hz refrsh rate in my monitor. Very clear and sharp image.
I wanted to see if I could do de same with my old Mac