2011 15" Dell XPS 15 L502X + [email protected] (EXP GDC v8.4d) + Win7 Pro/64 [himansh512]^  

RSS

himansh512
(@himansh512)
February 9, 2017 4:48 pm  

My Laptop is :

Dell XPS 15 L502x :

i7 2670Qm @2.2 ghz

Ram - 8 GB

Internal LCD - 1080p

Egpu components :

EXP GDC v8.4d - mPCIe

Nvidia GTX 1060 3GB ( MSI Gaming X)

Corsair VS 450W

Setup :

I ordered gpu and psu on amazon. And got exp gdc from alixpres. At first my gpu was undetectable so I posted here and bought the egpu setup 1.35 by Nando. And Nando has helped me set it up correctly, without it was not possible. So thanks to him, he is brilliant and very helpful.

What I did on my XPS 15 L502X is as following:

I followed this guide:

https://egpu.io/forums/expresscard-mpcie-m-2-adapters/mpcieecngff-m2-resolving-detection-bootup-and-stability-problems/

I connected the whole egpu setup i.e. psu 4 pin to EXP GDC power cord's pin. But don't connect the 20-pin. Rather do the jumper trick, the 20-pin cord of PSU needs jumper trick so it stays ON permanently. Follow this link for jumper trick : http://aphnetworks.com/tutorials/psu_paperclip_trick

In XPS 15 L502X, we need to hotswap the wi-fi module with the mpcie. First, remove the old NVIDIA drivers using DDU - Display Driver Uninstaller because we need to remove it clean. Then after restart I was unable to put laptop to sleep because Sleep option Greys out when dgpu drivers are removed. For me egpu setup 1.35 did the trick.

I simply restarted, went into setup 1.35, put dgpu to OFF and did a test run in Chainloader. So Sleep mode got enabled by this. Then after login, I did put laptop to sleep and swapped the wi-fi with mpcie (the egpu setup should be ON by jumper trick beforehand, so do this carefully and cautiously). Then I checked device manager and saw Standard VGA adapter in Display option. And I manually installed Nvidia desktop driver 372.70 for GTX 1060. And I got error 12.

So, I did dsdt override following this guide:

https://egpu.io/forums/pc-setup/fix-dsdt-override-to-correct-error-12/

I faced an error or two while removing this error but I eventually overcame it with Nando's big help.

While I faced problem when I entered egpu setup 1.35, I couldn't find egpu through scan even when hotswapping in menu. I was doing it wrong, what I did was remove the wi-fi and then connect the mpcie cable and then switch ON the PSU. No, don't. I got through it by first switching ON the PSU through jumper trick, green light on GDC should be ON to indicate that, then connect the mpcie cable to the port with caution. And there it is, found. Then I ran compactions that you can find how to do in the guides link I provided above by Nando. Nando helped me out when I couldn't find way out of one or another issue.

And I never got error 43, because I installed GTX 1060's driver version 372.70. So better download and install this version to avoid error 43 at all.

Though I am getting 50 FPS in unigine heaven at medium specs that is because of mpcie and exp gdc. Thunderbolt users can get more. Frankly 40-50 FPS is enough to play game on 1080p at medium specs. I didn't find much difference in Ultra settings or medium settings much. They are almost same in visual comparison if I don't try too hard to find the difference, hardly noticeable.

If anyone particularly with L502X laptop needs help, you can ask here on egpu.io forum. 

Dell XPS 15 L502X
CPU: i7 2670 QM ~ GPU: Nvidia 540M 2GB ~ Memory: 8GB DDR3 ~ HDD: 750GB @7200rpm ~ Display: 1080p @ 60Hz

nando4 and theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
himansh512
(@himansh512)
February 9, 2017 5:07 pm  

For using the Wi-fi, i couldn't use the wifi adapter with EXP GDC. So, I'd tried successfully wi-fi extender option of Huawei mobile wi-fi hotspot device connecting through USB. It solved the internet problem. I had it lying around because I didn't use it anymore. But seems it became useful in this situation. My net is giving me Ping -50ms and Down - 1.52 Mbps & Up - 1.78 Mbps.

Dell XPS 15 L502X
CPU: i7 2670 QM ~ GPU: Nvidia 540M 2GB ~ Memory: 8GB DDR3 ~ HDD: 750GB @7200rpm ~ Display: 1080p @ 60Hz

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
Eyre
 Eyre
(@eyre)
February 20, 2017 1:16 pm  

I have almost the same config on asus k53sd (core i7-2670qm, 8gb ram, nv 610m) so I'd like to know how many fps does csgo at 1024*768 with all graphics set to low|none and nvidia graphics settings profile "best performance". I'll be happy if you provide some results. And yes, where have you bought your EXP DGC 8.4? Can you please leave a link? thanks in advance. 🙂

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
himansh512
(@himansh512)
February 20, 2017 1:55 pm  
Posted by: Eyre

I have almost the same config on asus k53sd (core i7-2670qm, 8gb ram, nv 610m) so I'd like to know how many fps does csgo at 1024*768 with all graphics set to low|none and nvidia graphics settings profile "best performance". I'll be happy if you provide some results. And yes, where have you bought your EXP DGC 8.4? Can you please leave a link? thanks in advance. 🙂

Hey, I used to get 60-70 fps at most in CS GO with  my GT540M 2GB. And it dropped to 30 fps frequently most of the time. I don't play CS GO much, I'm a Call of Duty player, I play COD4 : MW multiplayer since 6 years. I couldn't play it at best settings with GT540M. But I got GTX 1060 3GB as an egpu with GT540M disabled, and GTX is giving me 80-90 fps at high settings. 

I got my EXP GDC from :  aliexpress.com   

And my gpu & psu from Amazon.com

Just check which cable you require with exp gdc to connect to your laptop. There are three : NGFF, mPcie & Express card. Mine laptop required mPCIe cable. So research and buy from aliexpress.com, they have simplified payment and easy worldwide shipping. And I would also suggest you to compare prices from different sellers on that website.

All the best if you are going to use an egpu on your laptop. Share your experience when you have done it.

And if you face any problem, you can ask for help. 🙂

Dell XPS 15 L502X

ReplyQuote
Eyre
 Eyre
(@eyre)
February 20, 2017 2:23 pm  

I'm just in a step to order it. However I'm still a bit afraid of if it could fit well. Well, I'm mostly csgo player and I'd rather to get 200+fps from this setup in it, on quite minimal settings with 1024*768 resolution, to deal with 144hz monitor.

And yes, I'm looking for it at ali, but every piece is tagged as "v8.0", and you were writing about v8.4d. that's what I'm asking, which seller sells maybe a better, up-to-date model.

And so, of course I'll share it once it's done.

thanks for your reply. 🙂

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin
February 20, 2017 2:51 pm  

And yes, I'm looking for it at ali, but every piece is tagged as "v8.0", and you were writing about v8.4d. that's what I'm asking, which seller sells maybe a better, up-to-date model.

I've been advised via email that banggood.com can supply a EXP GDC 9.0b upon request. That's the newest model as seen at https://egpu.io/forums/pc-setup/exp-gdc-beast-v9-0b-just-arrived/

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table    •    Several builds
2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 M1000M + macOS 10.14 & Win10

ReplyQuote
himansh512
(@himansh512)
February 20, 2017 3:06 pm  

I'm just in a step to order it. However I'm still a bit afraid of if it could fit well. Well, I'm mostly csgo player and I'd rather to get 200+fps from this setup in it, on quite minimal settings with 1024*768 resolution, to deal with 144hz monitor.

And so, of course I'll share it once it's done.

thanks for your reply. 🙂

I bought it from aliexpress, they did mention it v8.0 but I was sent latest v8.4 at that time. I don't know if they will send you v9.0 as it is just a recent launch.

So, if you want v9.0 then I would suggest you to follow what Nando just said above.

And also if you are going to use a graphics card that does not need psu, then buy a combination of EXP GDC and Dell DA-2 220w adapter from banggood.com or gearbest.com . Compare which one gives best price on both of them combined. Dell adapter is expensive on aliexpress.

If you are going to get graphics card like GTX 1060 that needs psu then don't buy Dell adapter, then buy any psu from Amazon or local computer parts shop.

Dell XPS 15 L502X

ReplyQuote
Eyre
 Eyre
(@eyre)
February 23, 2017 4:51 am  

Well, I just cancelled an order to exp gdc v8.0. the supplier reported it's not compatible with asus k53sd and asus k53sv either 🙁

ReplyQuote