2011 15" HP EliteBook 8560P + [email protected](EXP GDC 8.4d) + Win7 [Haristaan]  

RSS

Haristaan
(@haristaan)
July 3, 2018 6:04 pm  

System specs

-Hp EliteBook 8560p, 15.6"
-i7-2620m with IntelHD 3000 iGPU
-Windows 7 Home Premium x64
-6GB DDR3 RAM
-1600x900 internal screen resolution

eGPU hardware

-EXP GDC Beast v8.4d ExpressCard
-Gigabyte Windforce 3x GTX 970
-Aluminium foil shielded data cable
-Self made power cable (6 pin dock power output to 2x8 pin PCIe power connector)
-Dell DA-2 220W Power Supply

Hardware pictures

Installation steps

-I made custom power cable for the grahpics card first. Basically soldering two 8-pin PCIe cables to 6-pin PCIe cqble (all male connectors) So I can use dock's power output connector
-Set the ExpressCard link speed to gen2 in laptop's BIOS
-Connected eGPU to the laptop, installed drivers which resulted in Error 12.
-did DSDT override using Intel method and DIY Setup v 1.35
-Limited eGPU's Power Limit to 85%. GPU Still boosts to full clocks but does not cause power supply to cut out (probably due to over current protection tripping)

Benchmarks

On internal, 1600x900 screen

Comments (eg: how has the eGPU improved your workflow or gaming)

At first I thought getting the DSDT override to work is going to be quite hard, espexcially as I saw 43 errors pop up when compiling the modified .aml file. Errors were an easy fix though as I followed nando4's quide. Adding eGPU to my laptop allows the CPU to stretch its legs as iGPU was severly limiting it. I will be using this setup when I will be at my apartament (Long story short, its too awkward to bring my pc over there and back home every week)

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

jeemaline and nando4 liked
ReplyQuote