2011 15" Asus K53SV GT540M + [email protected] (EXP GDC 8.x) Win7 [markozutic]  

RSS

markozutic
(@markozutic)
January 9, 2018 11:44 pm  

System specs  (model inc screen size, CPU, iGPU, dGPU, operating system)

So my rig is following
Asus k53SV 
Intel i7 2670QM
16GB RAM
250GB SSD Samsung
500GB HDD Bay
GT540m (disabled, but works fine when enabled too)

eGPU hardware 
GTX 750TI 2GB (with plans to upgrade to GTX9704gb)
EXP GDC 8.x
350 Chinamade PSU
HDMI cable from mpcie to exp gdc wraped in ALU foil

Installation steps

On my asus it was pretty simple, everything was plug and play.
Take out wifi card, make sure wifi antennas dont short anything on board (insulate them)
Screw EXP GDC cable with 2 screws and secure it on the back of the laptop with double sided tape so it does not move and make connection loose.
on the back of laptop i added 2 plastic feet to lift laptop a bit ( LINK ) helps with cooling a bit too, but mostly to lift it from cable.
connect exp and gpu as usual, hdmi from gpu to external monitor aswell.
Clean install of nvidia desktop drivers. Did not bother to make optimus work on internal display as it was hassle.
No need for bios modding and bios settings.

So i added aluminium foil around hdmi cable that goes from laptop to EXP GDC as i was often getting PCIE @ x1 v1.1 wich made performance drops in games, and would return to v2 only after reboot.
now it is stable at x1 v2 and does not drop to v1.1 never.

Benchmarks 

cudaZ 
Host To Device 368 MiB/s
Device To Host 396 MiB/s

Unigen 4.0
D3D11
Mode:1600x900 8xAA windowed
Preset:Extreme
FPS: 23.8
Score: 600
MinFPS: 14.9
MaxFPS: 59.6
PUBG video performance showcase recorded with shadowplay, almost no performance hit when recording with shadowplay. LINK 

Comments

Gaming performance is awesome compared to internal gpu, i do not have a desktop to compare x1 vs x16 mode, but i have tested gtx 970 on my friends PC, and when he sells gpu to me i will also test it on my egpu system and make a comparison and post it here-

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
P4RANOID
(@mr-ribeiro)
Eminent Member
January 11, 2018 1:44 am  

You have tested on external monitor? If no, test and post here, the egpu works on x1 and depending of the link generation ( 1.1, 2.0) this work with half of power, the 1.1 is 2.5gbs, and 2.0 is better works with 4gbs, some times in 5gbs or more in case of core's I 5-6 generation by have the pcie link x1 in 3.0 revision.

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

markozutic liked
ReplyQuote
markozutic
(@markozutic)
January 11, 2018 9:22 pm  

Yes, im constantly using it on external screen, sorry if i did not make that clear in first place. i will post later some images but as of now im new user and cant post images.
I also run this on windows 7, but plan to migrate to windows 10 that i already installed on 2nd hdd, but im too lazy to migrate all of my daily programs and things to win10 so that will wait some better days 😀

Now it is always on x1 version2, so it is 4gbps as i have 2nd gen i7 cpu.

Now my dillema is would i gain something if i had x2 v2 connection, maybe i can use pciexpress lane that goes to gigabit lan connector and somehow hack it into GDC EXP with another cable. How many wires do i need for that and stuff like that, is there anyone tryed this before?

Or if i get a laptop that has both xpress card and mpcie slot, and combine both of them, did someone do benchmark of that? i could not find it here. i found thread on laptopbenchmark forum but that is old and deleted.

ReplyQuote
markozutic
(@markozutic)
February 16, 2018 12:38 am  

okay, i did some cinebench on my setup, and with everything idleing my cpu score is 421, and when i kick off cuda z in background and run cinebench i get around 378

ReplyQuote
MrBoudinPomme
(@mrboudinpomme)
June 1, 2018 9:55 am  

I'm planning to use a 750Ti like you. Thx for your post.

ReplyQuote