Setup & Software Discussions
2011 15" Dell XPS L502x (GT540M) [2nd,4C,Q] + GTX 1060 @ 4Gbps-mPCIe2 (EXP GDC 8...

2011 15" Dell XPS L502x (GT540M) [2nd,4C,Q] + GTX 1060 @ 4Gbps-mPCIe2 (EXP GDC 8.4) + Win7 [TheGermanGuy]  

RSS

TheGermanGuy
(@thegermanguy)

ALSO MADE AN IMPLEMENATION VIDEO-GUIDE:

This is getting very inteersting for all Dell XPS15 L502x Owners.

In general this is a very good Laptop for Using EGPU, because it already has DGPU und IGPU so you can use Optimus etc. etc.

Normally you use the WIFI Pci-E Slot and you read everywhere that the WWAN /TV Slot cannot be instrumentalised to use with EGPU.

Thats... WRONG! On this Laptop you can use it and leave your WIFI where it is! Also i run it on 382.53 Drivers perfectly!

The latest drivers don't work with chrome and firefox, others had success even with the newest drivers and a GTX1060 using 

the "russian" method (see below)

I found a way to use the WWAN /TV Slot on my L502x. I can now run the EXP GDC 8.0 and my Wifi PCI-E Module at the same time!

I get 6700 Points in firestrike WITH THE INTERNAL Full HD DISPLAY! (ca. 8700 with External FULL HD Display)

L502x EGPU Instructions:

1. Uninstall all Nvidia Drivers with "DISPLAY DRIVER UNINSTALLER" in Windows "Safe mode."

2.Install EGPU DIY Setup 1.35 bought from Nando

3. Install the  Dell_XPS_L502x_GT520M_himansh512.zip DSDT override using these instructions.

4. Power Off the L502x AND get the Battery out, and get grounded! + Mount the EXP GDC Cable into the WWAN slot + Switch the "ATX Power" Switch to always ON

5. Start PC without (!!) The HDMI plugged in the EXP (but the mini pci-e in the WWAN port)

6. Boot into  Setup 1.35 go "MENU BASED". Then:

- plug in the HDMI cable  in THE BEAST and Press "F5". The eGPU should get detected!
- select PCIe Ports->Gen2 to  activate Gen2 link speed for the eGPU (Nvidia). Hit F3 key to save.
- select PCI Compaction->endpoint=56.25GB
- select PCI Compaction->Run->eGPU
- select Video cards->dGPU[off] to deactivate the dGPU. Hit F3 key to save.
- select startup.bat->test run
- select Chainloader->test run -> boot into Windows

7. Now you should see a VGA ADAPTER in the device manager

8. Install, the drivers this way:  https://egpu.io/forums/expresscard-mpcie-m-2-adapters/FIXED-Nvidia-GTX1050Ti-error-43-on-mPCIe-or-M2-non-hotplug-eGPU-interfaces-applicable-to-GTX10xx/

RESTART AND YOUR GOOD TO GO! SImple as that... works only on some Laptops because sometimes the WWAN is just USB 3.0 internally...

Now it sound so easy but i figured and figured till i got there, because first i try to get the WIFI Pci-E hotswapping etc.. with the WWAN its so much easier!!!

A BIG BIG THANKS TO NANDO WHO HELPED ME LIVE AS I WENT THROUGH THE PROCESS.

The next things i will do:

1. Install a HDMI Port on my Laptop using a female to female adapter, shorten the cable and test out different same build quality HDMI male to male cables from amazon and figure out if they work in conjunction with the female to female adapter.

My goal: To plugg the EGPU just like any other device on the installed HDMI Port so that it is as easy to use as any other device... I keep you all updated. More Pics to come soon! 

Some Pics:

20623924 1408426482575051 259756624 n
image1
image2
image3
image4

2011 15" Dell XPS15 L502x GT540M + [email protected] (EXP GDC 8.4) + Win7

mr.ribeiro, AlphaKilo09, girish_pawar and 4 people liked
ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

That's an impressive guide for L502x and other mPCIe eGPU implementations. Thank you for taking the time in creating it.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table    •    Several builds
2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 M1000M + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10

ReplyQuote
(@guilherme_santos)

Very nice... Thanks. Help me alot....

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
karaknic
(@karaknic)

Thanks mate!

Just wanted to chime in with my implementation. I also have the L502x with GT540m, but couldn't get it going using the e-mail instructions. I then followed this guide, but didn't want to mess around with extracting and editing the DSDT as it looked like it would take many hours of tinkering with the code to get it working.

So, I did all the steps above, but simply didn't replace the DSDT at all and it worked just fine for me, from the WWAN port. This is for a GTX750 as the eGPU,  which has no on-board power connector, using a variety of drivers.

Hope others find TheGermanGuy's guide useful!

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
girish_pawar
(@girish_pawar)

Hi Folks,

I have dell l502X  with following configuration:
1. Processor i7-2630QM
2. 8GB RAM
3. GT540M

I have dual boot system (Ubuntu + Windows) . Does this change step 3 mentioned? 
--> 3. Install the  Dell_XPS_L502x_GT520M_himansh512.zip DSDT override using these instructions.

Also does the laptop use the internal GPU when external GPU is not detected? 

Note: I do not want to use it in linux just want it to work on windows just want to know if any step changes because of dual boot. 

This post was modified 10 months ago

Dell XPS 15 L502X, 8GB RAM, GT 540m. Trying to get 1060 3GB on EXP GDC working

ReplyQuote
AlphaKilo09
(@alphakilo09)

[My setup: Dell XPS L502X, i5 2410, 6GB RAM, dgpu: Nvidia GT 540M, OS: Windows 10 Pro, eGPU Zotac GTX 1060 6GB AmP Edition with eGPU adapter: BEAST v8.5c mPCIe version, ATX PSU 500watts.]

Thank you very much @thegermanguy for the step by step simple and detailed post. Only problem is that if I turn on my laptop and egpu adapter at the same time, my laptop doesn't start and  gives a blank/black display. So, I'm always required to turn ON the laptop first without turning ON the egpu, then after it passes BIOS, halt the timer at windows boot menu selection for OS/eGPU setup, power ON the eGPU adapter then connect the hdmi cable to the eGPU adapter and then continue with the starup.bat default option (option2) in eGPU setup. Please tell me if there is a workaround for this. I also had to disable the windows update as it keeps installing the inbuilt nvidia driver when I boot my laptop without eGPU adapter for normal/non-gaming use.

Once again. Huge thanks to you, @nando4, @himansh512 ! You guys made me live again.

PS.

I did not do the jumper trick on the psu. Just set the ATX Power switch to ON on egpu beast adapter. Downloaded and used the dsdt-modifed.aml file directly from dsdt repository for my system model to fix error 12 and installed the  Nvidia error 43 fixer zip file directly.

This post was modified 7 months ago

My setup: Dell XPS L502X, i5 2410, 6GB RAM, dgpu: Nvidia GT 540M, OS: Windows 10 Pro, eGPU Zotac GTX 1060 6GB AmP Edition with eGPU adapter: BEAST v8.5c mPCIe version, ATX PSU 500watts.

ReplyQuote
TheGermanGuy
(@thegermanguy)

Sorry for REALLY late response.
No i don't found a workaround but wasnt searching yet.
I would also be interested in a workaround.

UPS I DID IT AGAIN!

After selling all my egpu stuff i once again did the EGPU thing and it was FUN
because it worked on the first try. Actually i watched my own video and what i wrote
2 years ago to set it up! 

I found a nice way to get the cable out of the way if i don't use the cable.
I just use some very small neodym magnets to hold it in place. Pics below!!!
Also i now have a really nice case for my BEAST!

Why is nobody talking about this Laptop anymore ?
Maybe because its getting old ? I dont know about you but i still love my DELL XPS15 L502X!
Its a beautiful piece of high tech with absolute wonderful subwoofer sound from JBL and
with some tuning tho the MAX with EGPU, SSD, more RAM and NEW CPU its works perfectly in 2019!

Today my lady got a new processor, the best possible 2860QM Quad Core 2,5 GHZ (got it for 100 bucks & used from china)
The Extreme Edition with 2,7 GHZ i dont want to use because it has 55W. I used the Arctic MX-4 2019 Edition paste,
which is actually better than metal thermal conductive paste!!!

My other specs are:
2860QM Quad Core 2,5 GHZ
16GB RAM (2x8GB 1333 & 1600 Mhz Samsung)
1TB Samsung SSD
5TB Seagate Barracuda in the caddy slot.
I also installed the full HD Display
 AND i got the best battery pack available.
I also installed the Cooling for the VRECS pics below!

I can work for hours without power cable! My L502x stands a little bit above the ground but thats also good for cooling purposes!

Here some PICS from EGPU and other Tuning!

Cable placeholder with small neodym magnets!

Installed some additional cooling for the vrecs how controll the voltage and can get pretty hot!

Found a way to bend the cable so that i can close the laptop completely!
Nearly 7000 points in firestrike with the INTERNAL display is pretty good i think!

My modded case for the BEAST with EVGA sticker. Looks awesome!

Some RAM-Cooling for my SSD which sometimes gets over 60 C° Now it stay at 51C° under full load!

Just 35C° my samsung SSD in iddle!

I also removed all the dust filters to gain better airflow through the device!

Are  there some more L502x lovers who thinks this 2011 Laptop still kicks as ?

Rock on!

TheGermanGuy

This post was modified 1 month ago

ReplyQuote
Duelroxas
(@duelroxas)

@thegermanguy

Man, what a nice config you got there! I have a L502X myself, and I was thinking about setting up an eGPU too, so I just bought today an used Geforce GTX 570 (yep, an old one just for experimenting purposes + it was really cheap) and my next step was to find out what equipment I should buy to start using this. I have my eye on a Gearbest item ( https://www.gearbest.com/laptop-accessories/pp_229102.html?wid=1433363 ) but I'm not sure if it's a good call. The L502X is on the compatible list, but I have no idea of how its performance is... Can you give me some tips or even send me a link with a good Beast or something? Thanks

Dell XPS L502X - 8 GB RAM - Core i7 2670QM - 750 GB HD - Windows 8.1/10 (eGPU in progress)

ReplyQuote
TheGermanGuy
(@thegermanguy)

Hey Duelroxas! 🙂
Thank you! I use a Beast V 8.0 and i have another one with V.8.5c!
Make shure to get the egpu setup from nando!
Without it you wont get it to work!
see the explanations and the video from my first post on how to set it up with with laptop!
Any questions let me know! I know exactly what to do!
The L502x is still a GREAT machine! Especially with a nice EGPU!

Have fun & best wishes 
Matthias Braun

ReplyQuote
girish_pawar
(@girish_pawar)

Hi Matthias, 

Thank you very much for putting all this info for L502X. I have GTX 1060 3GB working and I enjoy it very much. Recently I changed too HDD to SSD that has really boosted performance overall. 

Thanks,
Girish

Dell XPS 15 L502X, 8GB RAM, GT 540m. Trying to get 1060 3GB on EXP GDC working

ReplyQuote
TheGermanGuy
(@thegermanguy)

>>>MORE HACKS AND TWEAKS FOR ALL L502x USERS BELOW! <<<

@girish_pawar
 You're welcome. 
Yesterday got a cheap but nice cooling pad from Aliexpress!
It keeps the SSD even cooler, because it cools the whole thing with the 6 ventilators.
Now its summer and my L502x runs very cool with all the hacks i've done even without the cooler.
The ventilator inside the laptop works smooth, even and silent if i do light work. Why because it the following.

I took the time and wrote it down for you!

7 EASY STEPS TO AN FASTER, BETTER AND COOLER L502X
WITHOUT SPENDING MORE THAN 15 DOLLARS!

Follow this easy 7-step guide to make your L502x faste, better and cooler. It took so much time to figure
this stuff all out but it was pure fun. You can do it now in NO TIME that makes me happy! Looking forward
for your feedback. Any questions lust let me know i am here to help!

>>>> STEP1: REPASTE THE CPU WITH THE BEST PASTE AVAILABLE IN 2019

As i installed my new 2860QM CPUm i researched what is the best paste. I found out its metallpaste!
But now there is a new paste which is even better than metallpaste and much more safe (for applying metallpaste you 
should be extremly caucious as it can destroy your laptop if it gets somewhere else!

This one i got. Its soooo good. Much better temps around 10-15C° better now...

EDIT: After just two days temps are back to normal. No WILL try metallpaste. The best one available, this one:

This should get it to 15-20 C° cooler, no prob for this metallpaste

DANGER: Please read up on how to use this paste. It can destroy the machine.
Its also not compatible with aluminium. The difficulty with the L502x is that the
actuall cooling plate is copper (compatible) BUT around it its aluminium so i have to 
be VERY carefull not to spread it to much so it reaches the aluminium. Ohterwhise
it will corrode. Also the copper gets platet and if i take the machine appart (Which i will not
if everything works fine - never tough a running system) i actually have to grind the stuff away!

>>>> STEP2: REMOVING OF ALL THE DUST FILTERS

The dust filter reduce the airflow through the device aproximatly 30%.
Thats a lot! So you are better of if you remove them. Now what are dust filters ?
Its a mesh which looks like this:

As you can see they REALLY make it more difficult for the air to flow through as the solid surface
is way to high which doesnt let the air through very good.  You find it on the L502x where the air ist sucked in the device.
You also find it at directly under the RAM. For these dust filters you dont have to open the whole machine for the
other dust filters you have to! Open the L502x to remove them completly
The results will be ~20% better air flow!

You can even do this: completely remove any barriers for the air!

>>>> STEP 3: FAN-HACKING WITH THE L502x:

If i do rendering and stuff i use this the app "RWPortable". If you knowhow you can set the ventilator
to maximum speed continuitly so it keeps the machines temp low even under full load. 
You can't use any other app for this purpose. This is the only option to do this! 🙂

1 - download this file RwPortableX64V1.6.5.zip
2 - Run RW.exe
3 - focus Embedded Controller
4 - Double Click at the 0x60 register (the one from the picture)

[​IMG]

by default it is on 40 (auto)

values:

40 - auto
02 - 100% (5284 RPM)
00 - manual mode? (some people claim the can use fan software to control it with this mode on another laptops)

dont forget to close RWE after make changes,because RWE is constantly polling data from EC and creating lag.

more info about the fan and RWE. here

>>>> STEP 4: MORE INTELLIGENT SOFTWARE FANCONTROL

I also added this app to the autostart, it let the ventilator of the L502x work much more intelligent 
than the hardware control... keeps it stable at continuous speeds!

https://github.com/Dolnor/Dell-SCT-IT8518E-Fan-Control/archive/master.zip

>>>> STEP 5: AND NOW THE COOLER:

I use the cooler if i render 2h+ Videos with Adobe Premiere. The egpu works perfect with Adobe Premiere
and the rendering ist extremly fast. I consider even to upgrade to 32GB (2x16GB) as i render stuff i use
RAM DISKS for all my day to day apps so they start even much more faster as with SSD! Costs for 32GB Ram rougly 250 dollars.

Do YOU want 2x8GB of 1333 and  1600 Mhz RAM for a good price ? If yes let me know...

Ram Disks are huge but you really need as much ram as you can if you want to use ramdisk, 20 tabs open and Office, Adobe Premiere, Photoshop
and Illustrator with several files open at the same time and switching back and forth! It even works with 16GB
but sometimes i get over 16GB if i do rendering and other multitasking stuff at the same time with 3 Ramdisk active at the same time 😀

It's great what you can do with this machine even in 2019 if you tweak it to the maximum. I wonder if 32GB would even work.... 🙂
My processor 2860QM is fine with up to 32GB but the question is if the motherboard of my L502X supports it.
Anyone knows ?

>>>> STEP 6: UNLOCKED BIOS WITH GREAT TWEAKING OPTIONS!

I also installed captain casars BIOS. This BIOS is unlocked and so much greater as the stock one!
Its A12 and works with EGPU IF you use the A11 for installing the EGPu and then flash the BIOS AFTER
you completed the installation of the EGPU!

HERE YOU CAN FIND THE BEST UNLOCKED BIOS FOR L502X MACHINES:

Advanced bios versions download

note: advanced bios versions contain extra features not present in default bios like extra menus and advanced options,
keep in mind many of those bioses still being under testing due the high ammount of changes!

These settings you definetly should use to unlock more performance with the L502X:

quick boot -> on (boot directly to OS)
diagnostic splash screen -> on (bye bye to dell logo and hi to devices info ^^)
uefi boot -> on
fast strings -> on (performance boost)

and adjust the memory frequency to the max your memory and cpu support ^^
1600 mhz should be great if your memory modules can handle it!

>>>> STEP 7: COOLING FOR THE VREGS

Installed some additional cooling for the vrecs how controll the voltage and can get pretty hot!

And the best part is:
NOW YOU ARE READY FOR HARDWARE OVERCLOCKING SO YOU CAN SUPPORT 

YOUR EGPU BETTER! YOU NOW HAVE MUCH BETTER TEMPS AND COOLED VREGS.
NOW YOU HAVE ROOM FOR HIGHER CPU CLOCKS! ISNT THAT GREAT ?

If you do all the fan and cooling tweaks you can overclock pretty damn good. I've not done it yet but i will soon!
I have seen guys to this with the L502x in another forum. Sadly some instructions and pics are missing as its a very
old thread. But i will figure it out! I know its possible but i have to find out how exactly to do it. It needs some decent physical Hardware-Hacking, 
so not that easy as these cooling steps. Keep you all updated!

Best wishes
TheGermanGuy

ReplyQuote
TheGermanGuy
(@thegermanguy)

Just reached 7116 points with the INTERNAL Display!
Thats pretty impressive considering that i use pciemini second gen
with just 4Gbps and that the data transfer on the cable is splitted as it also has to go back to my laptop!

Overclocking stable at +150Mhz GPU Clock and +300MHZ Memory Clock!
For me this is important because i just use my internal display when i travel the world.
Now i have a portable laptop with great specs and even faster graphics than a stock GTX960 with internal display which gets

7116  points in firestrike! (With external display i get more than 9000 points now! Pretty damn good i think! 🙂
Thats only little more than 10% performance loss compared to the stock GTX1060!

See here: https://www.3dmark.com/fs/11743703?locale=de

ReplyQuote