2011 15" Dell XPS15 L502x GT540M + [email protected] (EXP GDC 8.4) + Win7 [TheGermanGuy]  

RSS

TheGermanGuy
(@thegermanguy)
August 4, 2017 1:42 pm  

ALSO MADE AN IMPLEMENATION VIDEO-GUIDE:

This is getting very inteersting for all Dell XPS15 L502x Owners.

In general this is a very good Laptop for Using EGPU, because it already has DGPU und IGPU so you can use Optimus etc. etc.

Normally you use the WIFI Pci-E Slot and you read everywhere that the WWAN /TV Slot cannot be instrumentalised to use with EGPU.

Thats... WRONG! On this Laptop you can use it and leave your WIFI where it is! Also i run it on 382.53 Drivers perfectly!

The latest drivers don't work with chrome and firefox, others had success even with the newest drivers and a GTX1060 using 

the "russian" method (see below)

I found a way to use the WWAN /TV Slot on my L502x. I can now run the EXP GDC 8.0 and my Wifi PCI-E Module at the same time!

I get 6700 Points in firestrike WITH THE INTERNAL Full HD DISPLAY! (ca. 8700 with External FULL HD Display)

L502x EGPU Instructions:

1. Uninstall all Nvidia Drivers with "DISPLAY DRIVER UNINSTALLER" in Windows "Safe mode."

2.Install EGPU DIY Setup 1.35 bought from Nando

3. Install the  Dell_XPS_L502x_GT520M_himansh512.zip DSDT override using these instructions.

4. Power Off the L502x AND get the Battery out, and get grounded! + Mount the EXP GDC Cable into the WWAN slot + Switch the "ATX Power" Switch to always ON

5. Start PC without (!!) The HDMI plugged in the EXP (but the mini pci-e in the WWAN port)

6. Boot into  Setup 1.35 go "MENU BASED". Then:

- plug in the HDMI cable  in THE BEAST and Press "F5". The eGPU should get detected!
- select PCIe Ports->Gen2 to  activate Gen2 link speed for the eGPU (Nvidia). Hit F3 key to save.
- select PCI Compaction->endpoint=56.25GB
- select PCI Compaction->Run->eGPU
- select Video cards->dGPU[off] to deactivate the dGPU. Hit F3 key to save.
- select startup.bat->test run
- select Chainloader->test run -> boot into Windows

7. Now you should see a VGA ADAPTER in the device manager

8. Install, the drivers this way:  https://egpu.io/forums/expresscard-mpcie-m-2-adapters/FIXED-Nvidia-GTX1050Ti-error-43-on-mPCIe-or-M2-non-hotplug-eGPU-interfaces-applicable-to-GTX10xx/

RESTART AND YOUR GOOD TO GO! SImple as that... works only on some Laptops because sometimes the WWAN is just USB 3.0 internally...

Now it sound so easy but i figured and figured till i got there, because first i try to get the WIFI Pci-E hotswapping etc.. with the WWAN its so much easier!!!

A BIG BIG THANKS TO NANDO WHO HELPED ME LIVE AS I WENT THROUGH THE PROCESS.

The next things i will do:

1. Install a HDMI Port on my Laptop using a female to female adapter, shorten the cable and test out different same build quality HDMI male to male cables from amazon and figure out if they work in conjunction with the female to female adapter.

My goal: To plugg the EGPU just like any other device on the installed HDMI Port so that it is as easy to use as any other device... I keep you all updated. More Pics to come soon! 

Some Pics:

2011 15" Dell XPS15 L502x GT540M + [email protected] (EXP GDC 8.4) + Win7

girish_pawar, Guilherme Santos, plasmaGuy and 2 people liked
ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin
August 6, 2017 2:54 pm  

That's an impressive guide for L502x and other mPCIe eGPU implementations. Thank you for taking the time in creating it.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table    •    Several builds
2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 M1000M + macOS 10.14 & Win10

ReplyQuote
(@guilherme_santos)
September 27, 2017 11:28 pm  

Very nice... Thanks. Help me alot....

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
karaknic
(@karaknic)
November 27, 2017 3:38 am  

Thanks mate!

Just wanted to chime in with my implementation. I also have the L502x with GT540m, but couldn't get it going using the e-mail instructions. I then followed this guide, but didn't want to mess around with extracting and editing the DSDT as it looked like it would take many hours of tinkering with the code to get it working.

So, I did all the steps above, but simply didn't replace the DSDT at all and it worked just fine for me, from the WWAN port. This is for a GTX750 as the eGPU,  which has no on-board power connector, using a variety of drivers.

Hope others find TheGermanGuy's guide useful!

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
girish_pawar
(@girish_pawar)
October 23, 2018 6:37 pm  

Hi Folks,

I have dell l502X  with following configuration:
1. Processor i7-2630QM
2. 8GB RAM
3. GT540M

I have dual boot system (Ubuntu + Windows) . Does this change step 3 mentioned? 
--> 3. Install the  Dell_XPS_L502x_GT520M_himansh512.zip DSDT override using these instructions.

Also does the laptop use the internal GPU when external GPU is not detected? 

Note: I do not want to use it in linux just want it to work on windows just want to know if any step changes because of dual boot. 

Dell XPS 15 L502X, 8GB RAM, GT 540m. Trying to get 1060 3GB on EXP GDC working

ReplyQuote