2011 15" Thinkpad W520 Quadro 2000M + [email protected] (EXP GDC Beast 8.4) + Win10 [ChimyChunga]  

RSS

ChimyChunga
(@chimychunga)
September 8, 2017 11:23 pm  

Hey guys, 

I recently got a GTX 1080 and decided to do an eGPU. While there are a lot of people posting guides, I thought I would just add my experience/computer model to the database. 

Specs:

Comp: Thinkpad W520 (i7 2720QM, quadro 2000m, 12GB ram, latest BIOS from the lenovo site, win10pro)

eGPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk X

Adapter: EC2 EXP GDP Beast v8 (off of amazon)  Stable x1.2.

Things I wanted:

Keep it simple and lowest cost possible. I did not want to tinker with the inf (or modify bios).

Basic Steps:

1. Run DDU to get rid of all drivers 

2. Disable Optimus and dGPU if you have it (f1 to get to bios). Leaving Optimus on for me kept turning on dGPU (I thought I would leave it on for the Optimus compression but too much hassle). Make sure your expresscard is on.

3. Install the desktop drivers 373.06 win10 and do not update them. (earlier drivers may work like 372.70, but later drivers kept getting me code 43 in device manager).

Edit: Additional Steps: Instability

Make sure to disable windows update drivers. I found after a few hours, the GPU would code 43. Preventing windows to update drivers has eliminated that issue.

In the end, I purchased and used setup 1.35 from nando and that may have helped settle other issues. However, I still ran into the occasional GPU crash(?) during GPU intensive loads. For me, I used MSI afterburner to limit the 1080 (68% power limit, chosen arbitrarily). You may need to play around with that. 

In the future, I may see if newer drivers work (only tested 384.xx, which caused 43). 

Benchmarks

Here is the score from 3DMARK Firestrike (11480).  https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/22044987

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote