2011 16" Sony Vaio VPCF21Z1E (GT540M) [2nd,4C,Q] + GTX 1660 Super @ 4Gbps-mPCIe2...

Notifications
Clear all

2011 16" Sony Vaio VPCF21Z1E (GT540M) [2nd,4C,Q] + GTX 1660 Super @ 4Gbps-mPCIe2 (PCE164P-N03) + Win10 1903 [gene_lottery]  

RSS

gene_lottery
(@gene_lottery)

System specs 

16" Sony Vaio VPCF21Z1E

Intel Core i7-2630QM

iGPU none (disabled by manufacturer, can't enable)

GeForce GT 540M

Windows 10 x64 1903

eGPU hardware 

Generic PCIe x16 to mPCIe adapter: PCE164P-N03

PNY GeForce GTX 1660 Super

600W PSU

Hardware pictures 

will post asap, since it got kinda dark here and photos aren't good enough

Installation steps 

There was a problem with preboot BIOS freeze at VAIO logo. Interestingly, there was no such issue with the same setup utilizing a GTX 460 or even GTX 980. For some reason it just freezes before Windows even starts loading when paired with 1660 Super. Workaround is to connect the USB cable of the adapter at the boot choice screen so that the BIOS problem is skipped but at the same time Windows detects the GPU when it loads (no hotplug on mPCIe, but I'm planning to mod the BIOS to make the procedure a little bit easier). 

Applied Intel dsdt override solution and nvidia-error43-fixer by nando

dGPU should be disabled in device manager or running on Microsoft VGA display drivers since it is not compatible with the newest driver

Benchmarks 

Comments 

Compared to dGPU performance is out of this world. It was not possible to comfortably play any new games. Jedi Fallen Order was running at 1024x768 with some .INI tweaks to lower graphics at 30 FPS at most and looked like poop. Now with eGPU I'm running most games at 60-80 fps on external screen at ultra details 1920x1080, sometimes dropping to 30-50 fps for a second when large chunks of a map are being loaded (bandwidth limitation I guess)

Overall, gaming is a pleasure. 

This topic was modified 4 months ago
2011 16" Sony Vaio VPCF21Z1E (GT540M) [2nd,4C,Q] + GTX 1660 Super @ 4Gbps-mPCIe2 (PCE164P-N03) + Win10 1903 [build link]  

3RYL and nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
egpu_wondering
(@egpu_wondering)

Do you have any hardware pictures? I'm looking to make a build with my current laptop which has similar specs.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
_pietpraat_
(@_pietpraat_)

So I was really wondering, since I haven't found any info on this, when do you power up the PSU. Since this board as opposed to the GDC EXP doesn't power on the PSU automaticaly. Do you power on the PSU directly when powering on the laptop or before?

And does it even matter that much if the PSU is on but the laptop is still off?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
gene_lottery
(@gene_lottery)

For the PSU: you can power it on either after you power on the laptop or before, doesn't really matter as long as the usb cable is disconnected from the adapter. My procedure is as follows: power on the PSU, power on the laptop, wait for the OS boot menu to show, connect the USB cable to the pcie adapter, press enter to boot into windows. 

2011 16" Sony Vaio VPCF21Z1E (GT540M) [2nd,4C,Q] + GTX 1660 Super @ 4Gbps-mPCIe2 (PCE164P-N03) + Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote