2011 14" Acer Aspire 4752G GT610M + [email protected] (PCE164P-N03) + Win7 HP & Win8.1 [Jkeychen Liew]  

RSS

jkey
(@luxjar01)
April 9, 2018 2:16 pm  

Hey all, this is my second egpu implementations on my laptop.

System specs (2011 Acer Aspire 4752G 14 inch display 1366*768, i5-2450M (old) currently upgraded to i7 2670QM, iGPU intel HD 3000, dGPU nvidia 610M disabled in bios, Windows 7 Home Edition 64 bit, 8gb sodimm ddr3l ram 1600mhz)

eGPU hardware (eGPU adapter PCE164P N03 ver006c cost $7 dollar , video card GTX 750 Ti by MSI, 12v 120W 5.5x2.5mm DC adapter), EXP GDC V8 with Zotac GTX1060 6GB powered by Dell Da 2

Hardware pictures
Notebook

egpu enclosure (I made my DIY case)

Installation steps

1-locate my mpcie slot by removing the back of my laptop where the HDD, Ram and Wifi card located (Since I can't provide any picture you guys can always go to youtube and search for acer aspire 4752g disassembly.

2-boot into bios (press f2 before windows logo), go and "disable" network boot & change graphic mode to "integrated" and then quit and save and boot to windows (by doint this you're going to disable dGPU on your laptop)

3-boot into windows and uninstall old dGPU driver which on this system using nvidia geforce 610M by using DDU uninstaller - link here (how to: )

4-buy the DIY egpu setup 1.35 from [email protected] (you really gonna need this because in this system the wifi come with the whitelist and it's really hard to make the mPcie detect your egpu without this software) egpu setup 1.35 download and install with the guide provided.

5-after that I download nvidia drivers (latest) and perform DSDT override (head here if you have no idea about how to perform dsdt override)

6-done with that I enable Hot plug on my mPCIe slot (here is a guide to it, link) thanks to https://egpu.io/forums/profile/burnok/ !!!

7-with the hotplug enabled, you can easily make the egpu detected;

1. remove your wifi card from the mpcie slot
  2. mount the gpu to the egpu adapter (mine was gtx 750 ti) connect the psu/dc adapter (i'm using dc adapter)
  3. the egpu connector to mpcie slot (of course with the notebook powered off/shut down)
  4. power on your egpu
  5. then turn on your notebook and connect the usb cable from mpcie to the egpu adapter only when you see the windows boot manager.
  6. Select the "DIY egpu setup 1.35" and select the the option to "DIY egpu setup 1.35-menu based" and press enter.

let it load everything until you see "DIY egpu setup 1.35 menu". Now on the right side you will see a port detection something like this:

• p1 @ x1.1
    • p2 @ x1.1 Nvidia <== this is egpu
    • **if your egpu didn't show you can reload by pressing F5 or reboot and reconnect the egpu again after the bios (to avoid bios conflict with screen crash and possibility of bsod "bios not ACPI compliant"
  7. On the menu you will see:

• 1- configure
      • PCIe ports >
      • Video cards >
      • PCi Compaction >
    • 2-Config&Run
      • Chainloader >
      • startup.bat >
    • on this step, select starup.bat > reset
    • and then select Pcie ports > set gen2 link > nvidia (egpu)
    • after that select PCI compaction > endpoint 25gb-36 bit > run compaction > select egpu > select none > done
    • **before chainload to mbr, hit F3 button to save the config. This will hassle the process by pressing the automated diy egpu setup 1.35 in next boot.
    • now select chainloader > select mbr > select test run
    • Now you should see two option "windows" and "diy egpu setup 1.35". select windows.
    • **sometimes the windows startup will crash, just sometimes
  8. with all the step above done, check in device manager to make sure the egpu detected. now install the nvidia drivers and reboot (if the nvidia drivers won't install, open device manager > select the nvidia egpu adapter > click properties > check hardware id > sometimes the hardware id didn't match the id in nvidia drivers so it won't install) if everything okay it should install without any problem.
  9. when you reboot, make sure to unplugged the usb from egpu before it boot to bios to avoid screen crash. because this $7 egpu adapter doesn't have the delay switch like exp gdc which is not reliable as well (cough).
  10. once you see the windows boot manager, connect the usb cable to the egpu (the egpu is always on, no need to turn it off) and select Diy egpu setup 1.35 and select automated setup. Just let it run and shows the boot up manager again.
  11. now in boot up manager, select windows and check if the nvidia card drivers was installed and working properly by using gpu-z
  12. if everything works fine, then you're good to go with some gaming and benchmarking stuff.

Version 2 - No egpu setup 1.3x was used
this was the original link  https://egpu.io/forums/expresscard-mpcie-m-2-adapters/how-to-enable-hot-plug-for-pci-e-port-using-hidden-settings-in-bios-examle-for-phoenix-securecore-tiano/

since my laptop using phoenix bios, it much easier to mod it using grub software. I've compile a bunch of useful setting for setting up egpu on this laptop (for acer aspire 4752g)

Processor

Subject

Variable

Option

What it does?

Intel(R) HT Technology

0x187

Default: 8 Bit, Value: 0x1

Disabled, Value: 0x0

Enabled, Value: 0x1

-disabling this will improve performance on old games

-recommended to enable it. (because hyperthreading is simply better)

Fast Strings

0x188

Default: 8 Bit, Value: 0x0

-enabling this will give better performance on cpu

-I’ve it enabled on my system

Intel(R) SpeedStep(tm)

0x194

-just let this enabled

Boot Performance Mode

0x195

Default: 8 Bit, Value: 0x2

Max Performance, Value: 0x0

Max Battery, Value: 0x1

Auto, Value: 0x2

-go for MAX PERFORMANCE

Turbo Mode

0x19F

Option: Disabled, Value: 0x0

Option: Enabled, Value: 0x1

-disable this features if you didn’t need the turbo boost clock speed

-recommended to enabled it

Turbo Mode Power Limit Lock

0x2E6

-I don’t know if this will improve performance but I have it disabled

C-States

0x196

-I disable this option because it keep changing my cpu speed.

-this function as power saver to the cpu

Ram

Max TOLUD

0xC4

Dynamic, Value: 0x0

1 GB, Value: 0x1

1.25 GB, Value: 0x2

1.5 GB, Value: 0x3

1.75 GB, Value: 0x4

2 GB, Value: 0x5

2.25 GB, Value: 0x6

2.5 GB, Value: 0x7

2.75 GB, Value: 0x8

3 GB, Value: 0x9

3.25 GB, Value: 0xA

3.5 GB, Value: 0xB

-change this to 2.5 or 3.0GB

OneN Mode Support

0xB4

Auto, Value: 0x0

1N Mode, Value: 0x1

2N Mode, Value: 0x2

-1N mode offer fast and extra performance with low latency (might result in unstable)

-2N mode is the more stable one with lower speed performance

Memory Frequency

0xB2

1067, Value: 0x1

1333, Value: 0x2

1600, Value: 0x3

1867, Value: 0x4

-depend on your memory frequency

-do not try to set the value more than your memory can clock

Port 2, mini PCIe

PCI Express Root Port 2

0xDB

-this is acer aspire mini pcie port

-default was enabled

PCIe Speed

0x173

Gen1, Value: 0x1

Gen2, Value: 0x2

-set this to gen 2 speed (5.0 Gbps)

ASPM

0xE3

Default: 8 Bit, Value: 0x2

L0S, Value: 0x1

L1, Value: 0x2

L0S And L1, Value: 0x3

Auto, Value: 0x4

-disabling this option will make the egpu boot without problem and bypass screen crash

HOT PLUG

0x10B

-enabling this option to help detection on your egpu

DISPLAY**

Render Standby

0x2B

-this is power saver for iGPU

-I have this disabled

NOTE: CHANGING THE PRIORITY OF CPU USING TASK MANAGER (CTRL+SHIFT+ESC) SELECT APP > RIGHT CLICK > GO TO DETAILS > RIGHT CLICK AND SET PRIORITY > SET TO HIGH

THIS WILL RESULT IN BETTER PERFORMANCE.

UPDATE!!!
Benchmarks
(I will update the score later but just to tell you guys this 7$ egpu adapter is so good with the stable gen 2 link. I realized bout this when I start playing some game and do benchmark. It was really smooth, no stuttering and glitch compared to the exp gdc which kind a disappointing to me.)

Heaven Benchmark score
GTX 750 TI

GTX 1060 6GB

https://imgur.com/FhpN2QH

Valley Benchmark score

3dmark score GTX 750 TI here 
3dmark score GTX 750 TI OC with MSi Afterburner +65/+270 here

GTX 1060 6GB here
GTX 1060 6GB + i7 2670qm here

https://imgur.com/4CwGHKq

I even done some test on games using internal display 1366*768 and the score are as follow;
The Witcher III Wild Hunt 30-50 fps on High setting (I notice that the fps drop when reaching places with lot people and moving object) while GTX 1060 6GB give huge boost in FPS and the gameplay became much smoother than the GTX 750 TI.

Dota 2 30-60 fps on Ultra setting
Divinity Original Sin II 25-45 fps on high setting (lowering the setting will increase more fps count)
Rise Of The Tomb Raider 40-60 on high setting (mostly playable)
**Fps drop happen to when my cpu reach max temp and cause throttling and another cause was not enough memory since I only have 4GB physical memory.

Comments (first of all, I've been always curious to find out how egpu work on laptop now that I get my hands on it with custom build, and the help from nando4, I was able to play AAA games with decent graphic performance on a budget, although I have high end PC haha. This egpu thing is so fun to explore and learn. You guys should give a try as well.)

add on- please refer to my first post of implementations here

Thanks for visiting 🙂

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote