2011 15" Asus X53S (K53SV) + [email protected] (PE4C V3.0) + Win10 [Android]^  

RSS

Android
(@android)
February 17, 2017 2:32 pm  

Hi all,

I got an Asus GTX 970 Strix to run on the above setup. Note that Asus X53S and Asus K53SV use the same mainboard, so this should be replicable on the K53SV.

I have very limited understanding of eGPUs, so I used Display Driver Uninstaller and then installed the PE4C V3.0 and Setup 1.35 according to their standard instructions. In Setup 1.35, I set "PCI compaction -> Ignore dgpu", ran PCI compaction "except SATA etc.", then set the dgpu to "off" and ran the same PCI compaction again. I set the chainloader to mbr2, saved everything in startup.bat, and used BootIce to speed up the booting process, as described in the Setup 1.35 readme.

So far, everything seems to be working smoothly. I can even switch between the internal and external display without problems. Here are some benchmarks on the external display:

http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/2857778

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/18039963 (TimeSpy won't run for some reason)

I'd be happy to hear your feedback as to whether I did everything right and/or if I can further max out performance. For example, I don't quite understand the exact nature of the mPCIe link/generation/bandwidth used.

Thank you!

PS: I'm not familiar with the naming conventions for these threads; admins feel free to change.

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
Plastixx
(@plastixx)
Trusted Member
February 17, 2017 2:41 pm  

Have you checked to make sure the PCIe link speed is running Gen2? Run GPU-Z and check the info for "bus interface". It should say "@ x1 2.0". If it says "@ x1 1.1" then click the little question mark and run the render test to make sure it's not just idling at 1.1.

With the score you got it probably is running Gen2. I got a Fire Strike score of 6345 with a 960...

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/17166782

9798 with a RX 480 I got yesterday...

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/18041551

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin
February 17, 2017 2:44 pm  

Android, any pictures of your gear you can share to bring your implementation to life?

Ensure you are running at Gen2 link speed as Plastixx mentions.

Disabling eGPU audio so you use the internal PC speaker only, using  NVidia Inspector 'Frame Rate Limiter V2' to lock in 59/60Hz FPS and use of an external LCD pretty much maxes the narrow x1 2.0 link for video traffic.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table    •    Several builds
2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 M1000M + macOS 10.14 & Win10

inxftw liked
ReplyQuote
Android
(@android)
February 17, 2017 2:55 pm  

Thanks!

It says PCIe x16 2.0 @ x1 2.0 - sometimes it falls back to 1.1 but when I click the question mark it goes back up to 2.0. I suppose that's good? 🙂

While doing this (also sometimes while gaming) I get a strange faint screeching noise from the graphics card (or the adapter) btw. Could that be the infamous "coil whine" or something worse?

EDIT: Thanks nando! How do I disable eGPU audio? Pic attached 🙂

theitsage and nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin
February 17, 2017 3:13 pm  
Posted by: Android

EDIT: Thanks nando! How do I disable eGPU audio? Pic attached 🙂

Find your GTX970 "NVidia Audio" controller in Device Manager, right click and disable. Then the x1 2.0 link will be purely for video traffic.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table    •    Several builds

ReplyQuote
Android
(@android)
February 19, 2017 9:48 pm  

Thank you! So far, everything is running fine. I will let you know if I have more questions.

By the way, I was thinking that an extender like the one attached would allow me to move the mPCIe interface outside of the laptop chassis, making the whole thing much more practical. I could leave the end of the ribbon cable dangling out and connect the adapter board as needed. Probably feasible for other laptops as well! 🙂

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin
February 20, 2017 12:09 am  

Android, You have a PE4C 3.0, the best eGPU adapter for Gen2 signalling.

Each connector interface adds reflective noise, plus your hoping for good signalling down the ribbon cable. Gen1 link speed could certainly be viable. Gen2 more problematic. If your experimentation doesn't work then you always have the PE4C 3.0 fallback adapter.

ReplyQuote
Android
(@android)
February 20, 2017 12:36 am  

I know, but it's just an extension - basically just a cable to let the mPCIe interface hang out of the laptop case, then attach PE4C V3.0 to that. At the moment the laptop has its bottom panel removed to reach the mPCIe, which is not very practical. So far it's just an idea though 🙂

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
Eyre
 Eyre
(@eyre)
February 23, 2017 4:56 am  

hello there. just cancelled an order of exp gdc v8.0, the supplier reported bsods at asus k53sd. since asus k53sd and asus k53sv are quite similar, I want to know, what and where to buy. and if it even possible to use the same setup at k53sd.

ReplyQuote
Android
(@android)
February 27, 2017 9:00 pm  

Hi Eyre, and sorry for the late reply. I checked and it seems like K53SD is indeed very similar to K53SV, so I'm pretty sure you could get the very same procedure to work on your own setup! I was assured that PE4C V3.0 was the best eGPU adapter for this and it definitely worked very smoothly for me, I was very impressed.

You asked about where to buy - this might be your lucky day. 🙂 I'm thinking about selling my good-as-new adapter since I'm getting a new office laptop after all. If you're in the UK/EU you won't even have to pay customs charges like I did (most vendors are in US/China). Plus my hardware is tested working (both PE4C V3.0 + Dell DA-2 power supply). Just let me know if you are interested and I'll set up an Ebay auction for you!

ReplyQuote
Eyre
 Eyre
(@eyre)
March 2, 2017 2:42 pm  

sounds cool. Anyway, you can find me somewhere and we could discus it. facebook, discord? I'm living in eastern europe. 

ReplyQuote
Ma3rdZo
(@ma3rdzo)
March 5, 2017 4:05 pm  

Hi

I'm using an Asus K53SV with an AMD RX 480 docked in EXP GDC via mPCIe and i just can't get it to work.

I also saw some seller's product description that this dock doesn't work on this model, as stated above, but that was after i bought it from another one saying that it was tested on this model and is working. So, i'm just working with what i got here.

I guess my BIOS is whitelisted against it since the only way for my laptop to detect the egpu is if i start it with the wifi card in it and then hot-swap it while in the boot options menu. I guess the port is disabled if the wifi card isn't there or if the egpu is.

If i start it up with the dock plugged in, the system would just hang on the Asus startup logo, and all i can do is shut it down. I tried different PTD settings on the dock while the psu was constantly  running, but nothing worked.

I managed to get the device manager to detect the egpu with the hotswapping method...well, sort of i guess. After that, i tried installing the drivers, but the updater would hang on the ''detecting AMD hardware''. I tried the same compaction and dgpu disabling steps you provided but is just can't seem to get it to work. Considering all that, I would really like to get the setup to boot up without me having to do the entire hot-swapping thing and all, and also get the drivers to install, obvisously. The BIOS doesn't really provide any useful options or settings, so i searched for a modded BIOS but i just don't know what I'm really looking for.

So what BIOS version were you using? Modded? Or did you try the undo-whitelist function in the setup 1.3x? If so, how? Some steps would be very helpful.

Or perhaps you didn't have these problems...and in that case, i'm hoping for anyone else to shine some light on this.

Any help would be very much appreciated :).

Thanks!

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin
March 5, 2017 5:01 pm  
Posted by: Ma3rdZo

guess my BIOS is whitelisted against it since the only way for my laptop to detect the egpu is if i start it with the wifi card in it and then hot-swap it while in the boot options menu. I guess the port is disabled if the wifi card isn't there or if the egpu is.

Pls test eGPU detection and bootup after you  (1) isolate PERST pin 22 on mPCIe eGPU card (2) enable ATX PSU to be permanently on and (3) disable the PTD delay. These are documented in detail at https://egpu.io/forums/expresscard-mpcie-m-2-adapters/mpcieecngff-m2-resolving-detection-bootup-and-stability-problems/

ReplyQuote
Ma3rdZo
(@ma3rdzo)
March 5, 2017 8:21 pm  
Posted by: nando4

Pls test eGPU detection and bootup after you  (1) isolate PERST pin 22 on mPCIe eGPU card (2) enable ATX PSU to be permanently on and (3) disable the PTD delay. These are documented in detail at https://egpu.io/forums/expresscard-mpcie-m-2-adapters/mpcieecngff-m2-resolving-detection-bootup-and-stability-problems/

Did as instructed, but still won't detect. Also, now the eGPU fans don't start spining. Even after waiting a while.

ReplyQuote
Asusn53sn
(@asusn53sn)
March 25, 2017 5:04 pm  

@Android, could you help me out please. Can you post a picture of where you connected the PE4C V3.0 to the laptop. Got the same model and wanted to try it out. Thanks.

ReplyQuote
Dyzamora
(@dyzamora)
August 16, 2017 7:26 pm  

Hi everyone.

Can someone tell we where i can find the wifi card on my asus K535V please.

i have removed the rear plate but don't see the card.

in other laptops i found the card immediately.

Thank you for your help.

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin
August 16, 2017 7:49 pm  

Some Asus machines have the wifi card under the keyboard. Check there if it's not visible under the rear panels.

ReplyQuote
Dyzamora
(@dyzamora)
August 16, 2017 7:51 pm  

thank for your answer.

Will take a look there .

Have a nice eavening.

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
(@animator_osoro)
September 20, 2017 2:08 pm  
Posted by: Ma3rdZo
Posted by: nando4

Did as instructed, but still won't detect. Also, now the eGPU fans don't start spining. Even after waiting a while.

Anyluck?

ReplyQuote