2011 HP EliteBook 8760w+8560w + [email protected] (EXP GDC 8.4b) + Win10 [velitacast]  

RSS

velitacast
(@velitacast)
March 21, 2017 12:04 am  

Last Updated: 10/03/17

Hello eGPU Forums, this guide has been a while in the making, but here it is now.

NOTE: This guide is identical for both the 8760w and 8560w, as I have tested both myself. YMMV based on your specific variant of either notebook, but they should be pretty similar across the board, considering they have the same chipset. This guide is for the Nvidia variant of these notebooks with Quadro series chips.

A major caveat of this setup is the fact that even though the EliteBook's internal display panel will work, it will not be accelerated by any GPU, as it will be forced to use "Microsoft Basic Display Driver" to avoid Quadro vs. GeForce driver conflicts. If you attempt to use the eGPU and the on-board Quadro simultaneously, the eGPU fan will run at 100% constantly, and your system will experience major performance setbacks and unreliability (BSOD risk). I do not recommend attempting to use them together, or attempting to install the Quadro drivers. If you do, and something screws up, you'll have to restart from step 4 of this guide. A guide to removing the Quadro drivers if they are already installed or if they install automatically is located at the bottom of this page.

NOTICE: On my testing with the both units, the internal LCD can work, but it is not accelerated by the Quadro or the GTX.

This tutorial is designed for Windows 10 users, but I've tested and have had success with Windows 7 as well. Contact me if you need help with Windows 7.

Graphics Gear:

• Zotac GTX1060 6GB Mini
  • EXP GDC Beast 8.4b - ExpressCard version
  • 500w Power Supply

Laptop Specs:

HP EliteBook 8760w

• Windows 10 Pro x64
  • Intel Core i7-2720M
  • 16GB (2x8GB) Corsair VENGEANCE Ram
  • Nvidia Quadro 3000M GPU On-board
  • more detailed specs available upon request

HP EliteBook 8560w

• Windows 10 Pro x64
  • Intel Core i7-2760QM
  • 12GB (1x8GB,1x4GB) OEM Ram
  • Nvidia Quadro 1000M GPU On-board
  • more detailed specs available upon request

Preparations:

1. Ensure that video card is firmly seated in EXP GDC, all connectors are firmly connected, and the HDMI to ExpressCard line is connected from the EXP GDC to the ExpressCard slot on the EliteBook. Also ensure that your external display(s) is/are connected to the eGPU and it is turned on.
  2. Ensure in BIOS > System Configuration > Device Configurations > Express Card Link Speed is set to "Generation 2"

Procedure:

1. Obtain and install Setup 1.35 from here as per included instructions.
  2. Install my pre-compiled DSDT override I created here per link directions on your Setup 1.35 image. If it BSODs your system the follow directions linked off that page to extract and create your own system's DSDT.
  3. Boot to Windows via Setup 1.35 Chainloader and verify that Large Memory appears in Device Manager. (Device Manager > View > Resources by Type)
  4. Use Display Driver Uninstaller to remove all Nvidia drivers from system. (use the clean and shutdown option)
  5. Download Nvidia Driver version 368.81 from here. Run the executable and allow it to extract to the default path, but when it proceeds to setup, close the program.
  6. Open Device Manager and find the eGPU. Right click and choose Update > Browse > Browse and navigate to C:\NVIDIA\DisplayDriver\368.81\Win10_64\International\Display.Driver
  7. Follow the on-screen steps until the installation prompts you to restart the computer. Shut down, then power back on.
  8. Download and install Nvidia Driver version 385.69 from here. Choose the "Express" option, then shut down (restart will not work due to connection of eGPU).
  9. Start machine and chainloader boot (Setup 1.35 > automated > Microsoft Windows). You should see the Windows welcome (login) screen should appear on your eGPU display. A frozen image of the Windows startup animation may remain on the laptop display after the eGPU takes over. This is normal.

NOTE: If Setup 1.35 freezes at any stage of bootup - shut down, remove all USB peripherals, and boot again. Reconnect USB peripherals after you've reached the Windows desktop.

NEW: Guide to resolve GeForce vs. Quadro Driver Conflicts.

To entirely disable the Quadro's function, which is necessary for proper functioning of the eGPU:

1. Open Device Manager
  2. Find the Quadro, and left click on it once so it is highlighted
  3. On the menu bar, select View > Device by Connection
  4. Look one layer up on the device tree to find the bus that the Quadro is connected to. For me, it was Xeon E3-2000 ... PCI Express Root Port
  5. Select the parent of the Quadro (as found in Step 4) and right-click, Disable.
  6. Restart the PC.

If the issue is not resolved after the restart, go back to Step 1 and try agian.

As of 10/3/2017, I am running stable on the Windows 10 Fall Creator's Update (1709 16299.15) with the latest version of GeForce Game Ready Drivers. (385.69)

Note that if you perform a Windows 10 upgrade (ex. 1703 to 1709) you must start from the beginning of this guide.

TL;DR: The best method I've found for a flawless eGPU setup with these machines (with an external monitor) is to disable the on-board Quadro completely. This is briefly mentioned at the beginning of this article.

2011 HP EliteBook 8760w+8560w + [email protected] (EXP GDC 8.4b) + Win10

3RYL, ybodhanya and nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
velitacast
(@velitacast)
March 29, 2017 2:50 am  

UPDATE 3/28/2017: This method verified working with Windows 10 Creators Update Build 1703 (15603) with Nvidia Driver version 378.92

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
mo3klo4r
(@mo3klo4r)
Eminent Member
April 13, 2017 10:28 am  

NOTICE: On my testing with the 8570w, I was able to use the internal LCD panel with the GTX1060, but this is not the case with the 8760w. I'm doing further testing with the 8760w right now to confirm this.

Hey velitacast, i have an elitebook 8570w and almost the same egpu setup like you. How did you manage to use the internal lcd?

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin
April 13, 2017 10:42 am  
Posted by: mo3klo4r

Hey velitacast, i have an elitebook 8570w and almost the same egpu setup like you. How did you manage to use the internal lcd?   

8570W has no iGPU so NVidia accelerated internal LCD mode does not activate. You can however drag Window apps started on an external LCD to the internal one. A ghost LCD can be used as a workaround to avoid having a physical LCD attached: https://egpu.io/forums/pc-setup/guide-accelerated-internal-lcd-on-non-optimus-systems-enjoy/

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table    •    Several builds
2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 M1000M + macOS 10.14 & Win10

ReplyQuote
Reinde
(@reinde)
May 3, 2017 8:15 am  

Hey. I'm also having 8560W and I would like to connect egpu to it for summer time while i'm not able to access my desktop computer. I have some questions in my mind. I have read a lot of information about this kind of setups, but still have some questions. I'm interested in running some games using internal display of the laptop.

I have two cards, that I could use in this setup: 560ti 448 cores and 1060 6GB. I know that expresscard interface(2x) is a bottleneck, but would there be any difference between those cards, because interface would still limit both of them?

Is there even any idea to use 560ti or would it be roughly in same speed or even slower compared to dGPU (Quadro 1000m)?

Ther might be also some Quadro vs Geforce driver issues, but looks like there are some workarounds.

As far as I understood that to get image to internal LCD without Optimus, I can use dummy hdmi attached to gpu, so I can drag the application from dummy screen to internal LCD. In case of performance, is the performance same as running game on external LCD or is there some kind of decrease like with Optimus?

Because the eGPU will handle the game, there would be more room for CPU cooling and dGPU won't heat that much? This would also make CPU cooling better.

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
mo3klo4r
(@mo3klo4r)
Eminent Member
May 23, 2017 5:08 pm  

@velitacast: how did you get rid of that driver conflicts problem and the constantly running 100% fan speed? i tried with DDU but this did not solve my problem. :/ i own a 8570w and a MSI GTX 1060 6GB with EXP GDC v8.4d ExpressCard

how do i install only the eGPU drivers correctly?

cheers

ReplyQuote
mo3klo4r
(@mo3klo4r)
Eminent Member
June 16, 2017 1:10 pm  

COMING SOON: Guide to resolve GeForce vs. Quadro Driver Conflicts.

**this article is still in the process of being revised for best results, please stay tuned...**

What about your guide dude? And how did you get the 378.92 driver to run? Did you mean the method from Igor when you said install driver 368.81 ? For me it didn't work i good error 43.

I even could only install my drivers by the have-disk method because i made a group policy to prevent windows from updating my drivers automatically. Otherwise i got an error during driver install. Maybe i should remove that policy completly, but then windows will also install again drivers for my internal quadro and i once got conflicts with that. For example that i couldn't open the nvidia control panel....

Now i didn't install any driver for my internal quadro and i've got no conflicts but anyway want to run newer drivers...

ReplyQuote
velitacast
(@velitacast)
September 16, 2017 1:00 am  

I just updated to the latest drivers. PM me if you have specific questions while I finish my article.

ReplyQuote
(@javier_gutierrez)
September 23, 2017 9:02 pm  

Hi Velitacast:

So far i've been playing with eGPU, but it doesn't detect as primary graphic card,
  I've managed to get eGPU 1.35 working, GTX 1060 Detected and memory detected in Windows Device manager

I have a Quadro 2000M on my laptop and a GTX 1060 on eGPU, what can I do to make it work properly?

I've set the Delay of EXP 15s, ATX on, and follow the procedure sugested here
I have the same system, the only difference is that I have a GTX 1060 (not mini) and using Windows 7 x64, so I've downloaded the Drivers 368.81 and 372.92
  but for windows 7

I Hope you can help me to make it work.

Thanks in Advance
Best Regards

ReplyQuote
velitacast
(@velitacast)
October 3, 2017 1:57 pm  

Hello. First of all, you may want to consider upgrading to Windows 10. I had many problems with trying to do this on Win7 so I decided to update. I'm not saying it won't work on Win7 though.

That being said, try this.

In Windows Device Manager, select your Quadro graphics adapter. Right Click it and select update. Select Browse > Let me pick. Uncheck the "Show Compatible Hardware" option. Navigate to Standard Display Types > Standard VGA Graphics adapter, and click next. If you see any warnings simply ignore them and proceed. You may need to restart your computer.  Once it comes back up, go back into Device Manager and disable the Standard VGA Graphics adapter. Let me know how that goes, and feel free to ask me for my personal contact information, as the replies there would be much quicker. Note that this particular laptop does support PCIe hotplug, so try disconnecting and reconnecting your eGPU instead of restarting when you make a change. I'm more than happy to help you with this. Good luck!

ReplyQuote
Fliael
(@fliael)
December 13, 2017 3:16 am  

I have the same computer (8560w, possibly with different graphics, haven't looked at it in a while), with 8GB instead. Will this setup work with an RX 460 instead? Also, is this the right item, and will the external brick supplied be enough? 

ReplyQuote
velitacast
(@velitacast)
January 3, 2018 3:11 am  
Posted by: Fliael

I have the same computer (8560w, possibly with different graphics, haven't looked at it in a while), with 8GB instead. Will this setup work with an RX 460 instead? Also, is this the right item, and will the external brick supplied be enough? 

I apologize for the late reply. Theoretically, yes, the RX 460 should  work with this setup. It depends on two things; the drivers from AMD, and the type of internal graphics you have. And yes, that is the correct product from GearBest.

ReplyQuote
velitacast
(@velitacast)
January 7, 2018 1:48 am  

FEASIBILITY UPDATE 2018
UPDATE: FEB 2018 - I've abandoned this setup and purchased a new desktop.

Hey folks, it's 2018 now and I think it is necessary to make you aware of a few things I've discovered during my experience with using this setup with the 8560w and the 8760w. Both machines are still compatible with the setup, running Windows 10 Pro x64 (Build 16299.192 1/4/2018) and the latest Nvidia drivers (388.71 12/20/2017). I'll talk a little about the performance of the setup in the following scenarios:

Gaming - YES, this setup works great if your primary intention is gaming. I've been able to run many recent games (Need for Speed 2016, Star Wars: Battlefront I&II, Project Cars) in 4K on medium settings, and it is very playable. Everything runs great also in 1080p at high settings. This setup is an excellent choice if you are hoping to repurpose an old laptop as a cheap gaming system in 4K.

Media - YES, this setup handles formats all the way up to 4K H.264 and H.265 flawlessly (resolution 3840x2160). No problems with watching videos on a good 4K display.

Daily FunctionsAside from the obvious inconveniences of chainbooting and the inability to sleep/hibernate/reboot, this system runs very stable and quiet.

Video Production - Your mileage may vary. If you're using Adobe Premiere Pro, your system will not be accelerated by this setup hardly at all. This is due to the fact that OpenCL is very highly bottlenecked by the 2nd Gen i7 found in these laptops when used in conjunction with a modern graphics card. To test this, I rendered a file 3 times on the 8760w: first time (CPU Only) - 2 hours, second time (onboard 3000M) - 45min, third time (with eGPU 1060) - 30 min. I also ran the same file on another computer with a 4th gen i7 chip and the same 1060, and then render time was 6 min. After Effects cannot be accelerated by this setup at all. Sony Vegas 15 seems to be the best program that worked with this setup, but it would occasionally crash. TL;DR: if you're looking for video editing use, do yourself a favor and build a video desktop with a 4th gen or higher i7.

Multiple Monitors - NO, I did not have any luck with this system and multiple monitors. I did end up getting the internal display to work off of the eGPU (just set your display mode to mirrored), but any time I would use multiple monitors I would experience a major compromise in performance.

Alright, I hope this helps you guys as you make decisions on purchases and setups. A major reason to avoid this setup is purely its age. Being 7 years old now with only a 2nd gen i7 under the hood, these laptops just simply aren't capable of driving new graphics cards for computation activities (OpenCL)

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
(@benjamin_meunier)
March 15, 2018 9:03 pm  

Hello, thank you for your feedbacks and tricks 🙂

I have a HP 8570w.

I still need some clarification

-Is it possible to run eGpu on a Windows 10 UEFI system?
-You tols about i*gen2 limitations. Are they still true on gen3 system? Is the limitation operating on CAD applications?
-I have a BPlus 2.1a eGpu. Is the EXP GDC 8.4b any better?

Regards.

Ben

... I forgot some questions:

-Does the eGpus works with Quadro GPUs?
-Do i have to disable my internal K2000m to use eGpu?

ReplyQuote