2012 12" HP Elitebook 2570P [3rd,4C,Q] + GTX 970 @ 4Gbps-EC2 (EXP GDC 8.5c) + Wi...

Notifications
Clear all

2012 12" HP EliteBook 2570P [3rd,4C,Q] + GTX 970 @ 4Gbps-EC2 (EXP GDC 8.5c) + Win10 & macOS 10.13.6 & Linux Manjaro  

RSS

knur003
(@knur003)

System specs:

Laptop HP Elitebook 2570p 12'' 1366x768 screen

• I7 3630QM CPU with intel HD4000 iGPU
  • 16 GB RAM DDR3 1600 MHz CL11 Kingston (2x8 GB)
  • 250 GB SSD Samsung EVO 850 + 320 GB HDD HITACHI in dvd caddy
  • atheros WI-FI card AR5B195 + WWAN card hp hs 2340+ hspa + sim card
  • modded CPU cooling (pictures attached)
  • clover bootloader with 3 systems - Win10 Pro & MacOs 10.13.6 High Sierra Hackintosh & Manjaro Linux KDE
  • HP docking station

eGPu Hardware:

• Custom EGPU DIY chasis (2 fans, sfx 350w power supply and led strip - pictures attached)
  • EXP GDC beast v8.5c expresscard
  • GTX 970 MSI Gaming X

Install steps and other interesting info:

• So this project took some chunk of my free time. Firstly i aquired elitebook 2570p, i swapped i5 with i7 3630qm, added 8 gigs of ram stick and ssd, and moved hard drive into dvd caddy. Then i bought little copper vrm heatsinks, unfortunately those were a little too fat, so i had to grind them a little bit so i could close bottom cover. Then i drilled some holes in bottom cover for better airflow. I also added wwan card for my gprs sim card. Installed windows 10 Pro and for a while that was it.
  • Then i read about hackintoshes and i tried to install that along with windows 10. But first i had to resize my EFI partition so all boot files  would fit there. I managed to do it but i accidentally broken windows 10 boot entry. I had to fix that with windows 10 usb installer (BTW i used GPARTED for resizing but it still corrupted my EFI, i digress)
  • Then i used my other laptop to install virtual machine with high sierra for making usb macos installer. I found on github very helpfull guide for exacly my laptop (thanks chris1111) chris1111 HP laptops hackintosh guide
    I managed to install high sierra and almost everything worked (vga port obviously did not, as well as apple "i" functions [imessage etc], also i had to install some additional kexts for wwan card to work)
  • And then time came for third system - Manjaro KDE. I installed without problems, more problems came as i wanted to get rid of grub and let clover bootloader handle booting linux. But eventually i did it, i added custom entry in clover configurator for manjaro, added some boot parameters
    vmlinuz-5.5-x86_64 root=PARTUUID="my_root_partition_uuid" ro add_efi_memmap quiet splash vt.handoff=7 resume=/dev/sda6 initrd=/EFI/Manjaro/intel-ucode.img initrd=EFI/Manjaro/initramfs-5.5-x86_64.img nitrd=EFI/Manjaro/initramfs-5.5-x86_64-fallback.img

and i also found PDF guide how to make some changes in manjaro (attached file in this post)

• Then it was time for eGPU, i bought EXP GDC expresscard (since my laptop has expresscard port), 2 fans, led stripe and gtx 970 and begun to work. I used aluminium brackets to make skeleton, floor and rear were made with metal brass cutted where it needed, front and top was made with some plastic banner, cut holes for fans and airflow, side panels was made with transparent plexi i had laying from old pc case (corsair 300r, i modded that long time ago, if you want you can check it here - Modded 300r pc case)
    I also made psu cables cover so they are not visible in case, added 4 legs from old cash register drawer, put everything together nad there you have it. I had to modify also power supply, because it do not have 8 pin power connectors, so i bought some sata to 8 pin connectors, cut sata ones and soldered into psu. 350w should be plenty

• Now for egpu configuration in each system:

1. In order to boot with egpu i have to power on laptop, wait for clover os menu, and then connect expresscard into laptop ( i also had to change switches on exp gdc - 7 seconds delay and atx pwr on)

2. Windows 10 - gtx 970 is recognized in device manager, after installing drivers - error 12, had to do DSDT patch by nando4 - here nando4 DSDT patch guide
    I used intel method and clover for loading custom dsdt table. It compiled in one try. After that - everything works as expected

3. Hackintosh 10.13.6 High Sierra - even easier - i installed nvidia web driver for my macos version, in clover configurator i checked "nvidiawebdriver", installed WhateverGreen.kext and Lilu.kext, reboot and it works.

4. Manjaro KDE Linux - that was the hardest (for me, my first linux). So it recognized egpu, but i couldnt install drivers for nvidia. Fortunately i got help here from nu_ninja (once again thanks), all i had to do was to add some new boot parameters, here they are:

pcie_ports=native pci=nocrs,assign-busses

and then i could install nvidia driver. Here is my topic about that - manjaro nvidia driver not loaded
    Then i installed optimus-switch ad instructed here - optimus switch kde
    I can now switch graphics. I also had some performance issuess with firefox but i forced some options about hardware acceleration and its better

• So there you have it. EGPU works in every system of mine, i can connect monitors both on egpu and laptop itself and it works.

Benchmarks:

not really much to write here, since i didnt have time to run many benchmarks, but i ran heaven benchmark on all 3 of my systems, and here are the results:

1. Manjaro OpenGL

FPS: 47,7
Score: 1202
Min FPS: 16.1
Max FPS: 86.5

2. Windows 10 OpenGL

FPS: 44,1
Score: 1100
Min FPS: 8.0
Max FPS: 103.8

3. Windows 10 DirectX11

FPS: 54.7
Score: 1378
Min FPS: 8.5
Max FPS: 114.1

4. Hackintosh High Sierra OpenGL

FPS: 43.6
Score: 1097
Min FPS: 8.3
Max FPS: 101.3

All those test on 1920x1080, 2xMSAA, fullscreen, ultra quality, extreme tesselation, gtx 970 egpu in exp gdc 8.5c expresscard

Hardware pictures, links:

Here is PDF guide for booting manjaro from clover

Conclusion:

it was fun, entertaining and i learned a lot with this project. Now i have to think of what to do with it. For know, maybe this topic will serve for someone as a helpful source of information. Any comments are apprieciated

2012 12" HP EliteBook 2570P [3rd,4C,Q] + GTX 970 @ 4Gbps-EC2 (EXP GDC 8.5c) + Win10 & macOS 10.13.6 & Linux Manjaro [build link]  

Yukikaze, jeemaline, nu_ninja and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)
Prominent Member Moderator

Now *THAT* is a DIY build. Great work!

Want to output [email protected] out of an old system on the cheap? Read here.
Give your Node Pro a second Thunderbolt3 controller for reliable peripherals by re-using a TB3 dock (~50$).

"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."- Robert A. Heinlein, "Time Enough for Love."

2012 14" Lenovo Thinkpad T430s [3rd,2C,M] + RX 550 @ 10Gbps-TB1 (Atto Thunderlink) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote