2012 13‘’ & 15‘’ non-retina Macbook Pro + [email protected] (AKiTiO Node via TB3 to TB adapter) + MacOS10.12.6 [SheldonTung]^  

RSS

SheldonTung
(@sheldontung)
August 4, 2017 7:39 am  

Earlier this week I ordered a Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming Box but I returned it as it arrived because I heard that the H2D problem remained unsolved in that box. So without any hesitation I brought the amazing Akitio Node right away and my second choice GPU——Sapphire RX580 Nitro+ 8G .

As my RX580 finally arrived this morning, I can't wait to put everything together.

Basically when it comes to macOS 10.12.6, everything can be achieved without any effort.

• Reboot to Recovery Mode. Disable System Integrity Protection.
  • Reboot and plug-in the eGPU. Run automate-eGPU.sh 1.0.1 script in the OS.
  • Reboot and it's done.

I tried it on my 2012 13'' MacBook Pro first then 15''. Both work great with external display. For I don't usually use the internal display and Windows OS, I don't wanna go any further than this.

MacOS will detect RX580 as R9 XXX.

And then I ran the Geekbench 4.1 OpenCL on both macbooks. Here is the results (I have no idea if it's high enough or not):

13'' MacBook Pro - 81652

https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/compute/985480

15'' MacBook Pro - 86110

https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/compute/985541

Later on I lunched my WoW and set everything to ultra and Anti-Aliasing to 8X. Running at 1080p, the FPS floated between 28-34 outdoors. It's amazing enough for me.

mid-2014 15" MacBook Pro GT750M + [email protected] (AKiTiO Node via TB3->TB2 adapter) + macOS
2012 13‘’ & 15‘’ non-retina Macbook Pro + [email protected] (AKiTiO Node via TB3 to TB adapter) + MacOS

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

ReplyQuote
SheldonTung
(@sheldontung)
August 4, 2017 1:01 pm  
Posted by: Eightarmedpet

Where on earth did you find a 580? I have had a 570 on back order for months...

It's about 359.99 USD on Taobao.com. Six-months interest-free monthly installment payment.

mid-2014 15" MacBook Pro GT750M + [email protected] (AKiTiO Node via TB3->TB2 adapter) + macOS
2012 13‘’ & 15‘’ non-retina Macbook Pro + [email protected] (AKiTiO Node via TB3 to TB adapter) + MacOS

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator
August 4, 2017 1:47 pm  

Use the baffin patch to unlock all compute units on macOS -> you will see significant performance gains.

purge-wrangler.shpurge-nvda.shset-eGPU.sh
----
Troubleshooting eGPUs on macOS
Command Line Swiss Knife
----
Multiple Build Guides

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
August 4, 2017 1:50 pm  
Posted by: mac_editor

Use the baffin patch to unlock all compute units on macOS -> you will see significant performance gains.

If you use a RX Polaris GPU in macOS 10.12.6, there's no need for this patch anymore. The original drivers should let an RX 580 run with full 36 CUs.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

86 external GPU build guides

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator
August 4, 2017 1:56 pm  
Posted by: theitsage
If you use a RX Polaris GPU in macOS 10.12.6, there's no need for this patch anymore. The original drivers should let an RX 580 run with full 36 CUs.

The GeekBench OpenCL scores seem to be too low, however.

----
Command Line Swiss Knife
----
Multiple Build Guides

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
August 4, 2017 1:59 pm  

I agree the Geekbench scores are low for an RX 580. Perhaps this is due to TB1. @SheldonTung can you run Luxmark 3.1 to confirm how many CUs are running on your eGPU? 

ReplyQuote
SheldonTung
(@sheldontung)
August 4, 2017 2:03 pm  

Could the reason be the tb1 10Gbps limitation? I will try it via tb2 next week when I get my 2014 15'' rmbp back.

And the baffin thing. Would the 480 script also work for 580 ?

ReplyQuote
SheldonTung
(@sheldontung)
August 4, 2017 2:10 pm  

I agree the Geekbench scores are low for an RX 580. Perhaps this is due to TB1. @SheldonTung can you run Luxmark 3.1 to confirm how many CUs are running on your eGPU? 

Ok. I will try that when I get home two days later. And I will keep posting.

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator
August 4, 2017 2:34 pm  

So, out of shear luck, I had my uncle's (he sent it to me to upgrade to SSD + add RAM ;p) MacBook Pro 13" Mid-2012 (non-retina) still lying around. So I tried to give my RX 480 + Node combo a spin on this. Okay, few things to note before comparing with OP's results:

• This is a 480 which is slightly < 580.
  • This is the MSI Armor edition which is < Nitro.
  • This is the 4GB edition whose memory clock is < 8GB edition.

Can confirm that all compute units are not unlocked for RX 480 on 10.12.6 by default. Don't know about RX 580 - they are essentially the same card though. The results were as follows:

(deleted images accidentally - stupid me... | will update soon)

Which means three things:

• TB1 is definitely a bottleneck. TB2 notebooks score 110k+.
  • The patch is still required on 10.12.6 for some AMD cards.
  • RX series work well on 10.12.6 for TB1 as well.

----
Command Line Swiss Knife
----
Multiple Build Guides

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
August 4, 2017 2:58 pm  

Thank you for the clear analysis and work @mac_editor. I'm not sure why there's a discrepancy in CUs for what is the same identifiable GPU. 

ReplyQuote
SheldonTung
(@sheldontung)
August 6, 2017 1:27 pm  

Ok. Here is my update.

Setup:

2012 15'' non-retina Macbook Pro TB1 via TB3 Akitio Node to make Sapphire RX580 Nitro+ 8G work like a charm

macOS Sierra 10.12.6

Default GPU units

I can confirm that RX580 only enables 16 compute units in macOS 10.12.6 by default with Luxmark 3.1.

With all three GPUs working, I got this:

Running the Baffin Script

Reboot. And I get all 36 units unlocked.

Benchmark Test

Luxmark 3.1 OpenCL (RX580 only):

Geekbench 4 OpenCL (RX580 only):

That's all I think. Big thanks! @theitsage @mac_editor

mac_editor and nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
diogodasilva
(@diogodasilva)
August 23, 2017 1:03 am  

I am also getting only 16 CU Count on 10.12.6 .

I've tried running the enable-baffin-cus-sh-script but I can't get MacOS to recognize the card after reboot.

I can only get it to work by doing the full procedure:

These extra steps are required for AMD cards (macOS 10.12.2 and newer):

Shut down after the completion of automate-eGPU.sh

Disconnect eGPU

Boot into macOS, hot plug, rerun: sudo ./automate-eGPU.sh

If your Mac is newer than Late 2014, you might have to turn on -a mode: sudo ./automate-eGPU.sh -a. If the first try is not successful -a mode turned on, turn it off (sudo ./automate-eGPU.sh -m), start from the beginning and skip this step.

Shut down

If you have a TB3 Mac, a USB-C adapter (such as USB-C to USB, USB-C to DP) plugged in the other TB3 port is necessary for now.

Connect eGPU and boot into macOS, and soon you’ll hear the “whoosh” sound!

How am I supposed to get it to work if I need to reset everytime?

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
(@porchourng_chuor)
September 26, 2017 6:59 am  

How can I connect AkiTiO node to mac retina 2012?

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
(@porchourng_chuor)
September 26, 2017 7:01 am  

Doest AKiTiO Node support R9 380 mac os?

ReplyQuote
rockitico
(@rockitico)
November 6, 2017 6:13 am  

Hello,

I have a macbook pro mid 2012, 13 inch. I want install a egpu with akitio node and rx 580, but i want to know if  with the same steps in High Sierra should be right.

Is for editing in fcpx. last question, FCPX recognize the egpu?

thx

ReplyQuote
MasterOnion
(@masteronion)
December 18, 2017 3:18 am  

I'm wondering the same thing. Even more important to me then that would be Windows 7.... I'll let you know what I find out.

ReplyQuote
PsyPryss
(@psypryss)
Eminent Member
January 2, 2018 9:01 am  

Hello, 

I just got an Akitio Node and the Sapphire RX 580 for a Mid 2012 Macbook Pro. It detects in Mac OS High Sierra but the external monitor does not show anything. After a reboot the external monitor will show a white screen. I tried swapping the DP cable to HDMI and it’s the same. The monitor I’m using is a Dell U2415. 

Any ideas?

Mid 2012 15" (Non-Retina) MPB GT650M + RX580 (AKiTio Node via TB3 -> TB2/TB1 Adaptor) macOS 10.13.4/Win10

ReplyQuote
rmvz3
(@rmvz3)
Eminent Member
January 6, 2018 3:11 pm  

Hi, SheldonTung, thank you for the guide.

I have a Macbook pro 15", early 2013 ( i7 with the GT650M) with Thunderbolt 1 and an Akitio Thunder2 with a GTX1070. I'm thinking on changing to Radeon 580 but I'd like to know the performance hit (if any) in a Thunderbolt 1 rig.

I could use your benchmarks with the real hardware to compare with mine but I'd prefer it from windows side since I'm using High Sierra and it sucks with Nvidia eGPUs (that's the main reason to change the card). Could you please post the results of a graphic benchmarck using Bootcamp (e.g. Valley) so I can compare with my current results?

Thanks

ReplyQuote
jamesking
(@jamesking)
March 14, 2018 8:29 am  

Is it possible to put 2 graphics card in the Akitio Node?

Which brand do you use for TB3 to TB1? I've the exact same laptop and want to add horsing power to mine crypto.

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin
March 14, 2018 9:03 am  

@jamesking, each AKiTiO Node can accept 1 video card. For 2 video cards you would need 2 nodes. The uniquely bidirectional Apple TB3->TB2 adapter is being used here.

See a list of other TB2/TB1 builds:

- using a native TB2 enclosure, which often gives better eGPU detection capability in Windows, particularly with NVidia dGPU equipped MBPs
- using a TB3 enclosure with a Apple TB3->TB2 adapter

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table    •    Several builds
2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 M1000M + macOS 10.14 & Win10

ReplyQuote
jamesking
(@jamesking)
March 22, 2018 8:09 am  

I've bought "the uniquely bidirectional Apple TB3->TB2 adapter " but the 2012 13' macbook pro is TB1. It didn't let me plug in. This thunderbolt is TB3 to TB2. I can't find too many TB1 -> TB3. Any Suggestion?

ReplyQuote
esatamacmodular
(@esatamacmodular)
Trusted Member
March 22, 2018 2:35 pm  

I was wondering about this too. For my 2013 MBA with TB1 and node lite, I was looking for a TB3 male to TB1 male cable adapter. Of course they do not make that ...  so it has to be TB3 male to TB2 female adapter cable. From there, I assume I can just use a TB1 male to male cable ... the TB2 female adapter is backwards compatible with TB1 correct? Or I might just hold off using my node lite until I can buy a TB3 ready computer. This is because of the high price of TB1 cable and TB3 adapters along with the slight loss in performance with TB1 port.

iMac 2013 10.14.1, Macbook Air 2013 10.11, MBP 2016 13" 10.13.6 , HP 4530s 10.11, node lite, DA-2 PSU w/mod, PE4L 2.1b expresscard34, GTX460,1050Ti,1060,1070/Ti RX470,560,580

ReplyQuote
jamesking
(@jamesking)
March 26, 2018 4:01 am  

So I've bought AmazonBasics USB Type-C to USB-A 2.0 Male Cable to connect my MBP 13in' Mid 2012 10.13.3 High Sierra. Since, I cannot run the automate-eGPU.sh 1.0.1 script because it only support until 10.12. The current 10.13.3 should be able to "plug and play", but this cable doesn't work.

I got a pop-up saying "cannot use thunderbolt accessory, connect accessory to a thunderbolt port on this mac" so I wonder what happened? 

Can I buy Apple TB3->TB2 adapter and Apple Thunderbolt Cable to connect the eGPU to MBP?

ReplyQuote
Zetthard
(@zetthard)
May 2, 2018 6:51 am  

@SheldonTung, thanks for your testing and writing. I’m about to implement similar setup and would like to confirm couple things.
Do you run WoW in MacOS or Bootcamp Windows? Did you try to compare performance in both OS? Is WoW client installed on internal SSD or maybe external HDD?
I’m surprised that RX580 is unable to give 60+ FPS on ultras in WoW.
Have you updated to 10.13.4 though? Any performance improvement?

Thank you in advance!

ReplyQuote