2012 14" HP Elitebook 8470P [3rd,2C,M] + 9600 GT @ 4Gbps-EC2 (PCE164P-N03) + Win...

Notifications
Clear all

2012 14" HP EliteBook 8470P [3rd,2C,M] + 9600 GT @ 4Gbps-EC2 (PCE164P-N03) + Win10 [diyman]  

of  15
  RSS

Rayvee
(@rayvee)

@aurumnus Yes I think that is an HDMI port indeed, but pretty sure it's not compatible with standard HDMI. It's just using the cable / connectors becauses they are well shielded and readily available I think. As far as I understand it (which is pretty limited still), ExpressCard is a form of PCIE interface, so the trick is wiring up the pins of the GPU PCIE slot to the right pins of the ExpressCard slot, and to try to do it with best shielding as possible for the best bit rates. I've seen USB, HDMI and DisplayPort cables used because they come with good shielding.

I ordered the ExpressCard board that diyman made a long time ago but it never arrived, I'll try to order it again with a different supplier this time. Still eager to give this a try

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Aurumnus
(@aurumnus)
Eminent Member

Will it be possible to only buy the EXP GDC Express Cable , cut the cable in one end, solder a USB A Male Plug Connector ( https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1624475854.html ) to it and then connect it that way to PCI-E Riser PCE164P-N03?

My Future Build: AMD Laptop with Thunderbolt or M.2 PCIe x4 eGPU

ReplyQuote
Aurumnus
(@aurumnus)
Eminent Member

Will it be possible to connect the PCI-E Riser to one of these?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001274163751.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001297329809.html

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

@aurumnus, maybe. It's all just PCIe. If the HDMI cable has all the pins that the USB cable needs then it should work. But you need to know what pins to connect. You need to test all the wires of the USB and HDMI cables to see what pins of the PCIe slots of the PCE164P-N03 and Beast that they connect to.

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
Aurumnus
(@aurumnus)
Eminent Member

The last solution that might work for good stable x1 2.0 speeds, is combining the ThinkMods ExpressCard to NVMe Adapter with the PCI-E Riser PCE164P-N06 VER 008S NGFF M.2.

ReplyQuote
JimbobTheSailor
(@jimbobthesailor)

Been trying to pick up all the information in this thread to make an adapter with @diyman's or @jero's PCB's, but I just can't get my head around it.  I've got a decent understanding of electronics, but I'm a noob with sourcing my own PCBs and soldering onto them.

@diyman, would mind adding a guide for building onto your PCB to your original post please?

Are there any plans to produce a completed adapter?  I would pay good money for this, as would many others.

It seemed like there was a discussion about whether to use USB-A to mini-B cable or USB-C to C cable.  I'd go for USB 3.0 A to A since that's what risers come with, has that option been shown to be flawed?

2008 15" Dell Precision M4300 (GTS360M) [0th,2C,M] + RX 570 @ 2Gbps-mPCIe (PCE164P-N03) + Win10 // inexpensive [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Aurumnus
(@aurumnus)
Eminent Member

Posted by: @jimbobthesailor

Been trying to pick up all the information in this thread to make an adapter with @diyman's or @jero's PCB's, but I just can't get my head around it.  I've got a decent understanding of electronics, but I'm a noob with sourcing my own PCBs and soldering onto them.

@diyman, would mind adding a guide for building onto your PCB to your original post please?

Are there any plans to produce a completed adapter?  I would pay good money for this, as would many others.

It seemed like there was a discussion about whether to use USB-A to mini-B cable or USB-C to C cable.  I'd go for USB 3.0 A to A since that's what risers come with, has that option been shown to be flawed?

I believe it would be easier and we'll have greater success if a lot of us here from eGPU.io gather and find some Chinese manufacturer who can make an adapter like the one below, but with a USB-A connector so that we can easily use it with a PCI-E Riser.

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

@aurumnus , or find an inexpensive expresscard-to-M.2 adapter and use it together with an ADT-Link R43SG or ADT-Link R43S. Could also be used to attach an eGPU to newer laptops with M.2 NVME SSD slots.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 (Q M1000M) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @32Gbps-M.2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 1803 // compares M.2 vs TB3 performance inc unoptimized H-CPU BIOS [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Aurumnus
(@aurumnus)
Eminent Member

Posted by: @nando4

@aurumnus , or find an inexpensive expresscard-to-M.2 adapter and use it together with an ADT-Link R43SG or ADT-Link R43S. Could also be used to attach an eGPU to newer laptops with M.2 NVME SSD slots.

All the expresscard-to-M.2 adapters I've found so far are x1 1.0 speed (data transfer rate up to 480Mb/s).

And with adapter costs from 35$-60$ plus another 25$-60$ for the R43 (plus the extra cost for customs for both the adapter and the R43), it's not an inexpensive solution compared to the 6$-10$ PCI-E Riser.

And with no guarantee that this whole setup will work.

This post was modified 1 month ago

ReplyQuote
 of  15