2012 14" HP Elitebook 8470P [3rd,2C,M] + 9600 GT @ 4Gbps-EC2 (PCE164P-N03) + Wi...

Notifications

2012 14" HP Elitebook 8470P [3rd,2C,M] + 9600 GT @ 4Gbps-EC2 (PCE164P-N03) + Win10 [diyman]  

of  4
  RSS

diyman
(@diyman)
Eminent Member

Posted by: nando4

@diyman, thank you for the updated.

Did you CUDA-Z host-to-device numbers improve with the V2 solution indicative of better signalling?

This is an important thread as these older expresscards systems, while having a convenient eGPU attachment point, no longer have a cost effective eGPU adapter to attach to them. The lowest cost EXP GDC Beast has shown voltage & signal instablility.

This $7 eGPU adapter + $5 USB 3.0 expresscard + USB 3.0 cable + 9-13 soldered wires to attach the USB 3.0 pins to the expresscard pins looks to be the most cost effective solution & simplest modding solution. Just require someone to show it being done.

Unfortunately, I did not have the opportunity to test the re-soldered ExpressCard with the old USB cable.

I thought the 60cm cable was wrong because the eGPU did not work.
It turns out that 3.33V is dead on the riser. Now get 3.33V from the ATX PSU directly.
But I've cut the cable for directly soldering.
That's why I bought a new 1m long cable, but this does not go to Gen2 unfortunately.
With V2, I mean the new card and new case.

Now I bought a new riser (with included cable) on ebay, and I hope that only the 1m cable is of poor quality.

2012 14" HP 8470p + GTX560/[email protected] + $7 eGPU (EC2 MOD)

ReplyQuote
(@dub_monster)

Posted by: diyman
Posted by: Dub Monster

Alright, thanks. So can i just plug that USB cable to that Expresscard USB adapter, without soldering mPCIE board to it?

Please note that my message is always reply to quoted message.

These ingredients are appropriate.

First, do not cut the PCB.
This ExpressCard already has a USB socket PCB and should be physical stability.
The printed wires must cut off the surface of the PCB. For example, with a blade.

If this is the case then you need to know the USB socket pin on the PCI-e.

You need to be sure of the pin assignment.
You can do this with a multimeter.

In my situation, the following is:

pin1 - WAKE
pin2 - REFCLK +
pin3 - REFCLK-
pin4 - PERST

pin5 - PERp0
pin6 - PERn0
pin7 - GND
pin8 - PETp0
pin9 - PETn0

USB 3.0 pinout

Ok, so i need to solder some things... not so easy as i thought

8470p {3320M, HD 4000, 8GB DDR3, 128GB+128GB, 1600x900 14"}
eGPU: EXP GDC Beast 8.4C, Dell DA-2/GPS-500A8

ReplyQuote
Jero
 Jero
(@jero)

Hello,
I can also confirm, that you can use an ordinary gpu mining riser for egpu setup. I bought mine for 5$ locally and I got a USB 2.0 Expresscard adapter for free - very cheap setup 😀 . I've made a lot of shorts while trying to solder the wires, so I've designed own pcb using EasyEDA and let it manufactured (it was my first experience with doing that). Then i soldered wires to new pcb and riser's PCIe 1x connector easily.

My specs:
Lenovo T430 - i7 3612qm, Nvidia NVS 5400m
GTX 660 Ti
I got the eGPU running OK

It works pretty well GPU-Z shows PCIe 1x 1.1 and 2.0 connection from time to time. But CUDA-Z shows 370 MiB/s H2D speeds, thats not bad.

While browsing this thread I got an idea of redesigning the pcb and connecting the Expresscard and USB directly on pcb. Than you can desolder the EC and the slim USB 3.0 connector from the USB 3.0 adapter.

ThinkPad T430 + GTX [email protected]

Moussa Bayou, diyman, JaggieMcCool and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
JaggieMcCool
(@jaggiemccool)

I wonder what is the real life difference, between your card 660ti and OP's 9600gt...  because both cards seem to work on pcie 1.1  about 300-400MiB one way... I am thinking what is the card limit for this line speed, I mean which card is already out of the this range (pcie 1.1 -2.0), but maybe that would be a question for @nando4

or perhaps how would the gpu perform in games vs. video editting (if used 560ti for example)

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Jero
 Jero
(@jero)

I did a single run of Valley benchmark with those results. Don't know if it helps you.  😀

ReplyQuote
JaggieMcCool
(@jaggiemccool)

Posted by: Jero

I did a single run of Valley benchmark with those results. Don't know if it helps you.  😀

wow...thanks for reply...
I just checked some score results for Unigine Valley of other desktop users...
regular 660 had about 1700 points and regular 560 had about 1200-1300 points... 
so it seems going higher than Fermi gpu does not make much sense for this express 1.1-2.0
nevertheless I am still glad your "rig" is fully functional

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
YOON2002
(@yoon2002)

I am very interested in a stable EC2<--->PCIe x16 and planning to design a custom PCB and order it at jlcpcb.com. (It's dirt cheap, a set of 10 two-layered PCBs under 10cm x 10cm for $2)
I will try to create it based on the information in this thread, but would prefer some help since I have zero knowledge regarding electrical (electronic) engineering. haha

My goal is:
A single pcb with Expresscard connector (will going to use one from the original Expresscard to USB), USB type A socket that actually carries PCIe signal, and a USB type C socket that carries USB signal.
The addition of type C socket is because many laptops that support ExpressCard are pretty old, and maybe we might need to use type-C accessories in the future.
The PCB will replace (m)PCIe side of the adapter, and will connect directly to the other side of the adapter (x16).

I will design the thing in using this web-based tool, so anyone interested could have a look or work together.
http://www.usb.org/developers/expresscard/EC_specifications/ExpressCard_2_0_FINAL.pdf
Here is the specification document of Expresscard, I don't know if it will help but anyway.

I'll come back to report with progress, stay tuned!

ReplyQuote
Jero
 Jero
(@jero)

I got it working by connecting Expresscard and USB like this. Hope it helps.

3RYL, YOON2002 and nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
YOON2002
(@yoon2002)

Did you make a PCB off of this schematic? Or did you manually solder the pins using wires?

ReplyQuote
Jero
 Jero
(@jero)

I haven't made the pcb yet, but I plan to do so. I don't have much time right now. I have measuerd traces with multimeter on my previous board, so it should be correct.

ReplyQuote
diyman
(@diyman)
Eminent Member

Very nice, congratulation!  🙂 

If you can make it, make a PCB that you can solder a solderable USB 3.0 socket. (make holes in the PCB).
Thanks for the precise drawing too!

ReplyQuote
Risebell
(@risebell)

Hey there!
Thanks for sharing the drawing. I am attempting to build such an adapter myself and have pretty much the same parts as you do, except for a slight difference on the mpcie side...
IMG_20180930_173956 IMG_20180930_174103
As you can see the top most pin on the top side is not connected. Will that potentially be a problem? What exactly does the bridge at "R2" in your drawing do?
Also, do you have any tips about how to solder this? You showed it's possible, but I am just a soldering noob and those pins are damn small...
Thanks again!

ReplyQuote
hkesoglu
(@hkesoglu)

Hello everybody, i have elitebook 2570p and i will try this project. I am confused about pins. I saw this comment.

pin1 - WAKE
pin2 - REFCLK +
pin3 - REFCLK-
pin4 - PERST

Second pin connect to REFCLK- or REFCLK+ ?

Thank you.

ReplyQuote
Jero
 Jero
(@jero)

Posted by: hkesoglu

Hello everybody, i have elitebook 2570p and i will try this project. I am confused about pins. I saw this comment.

pin1 - WAKE
pin2 - REFCLK +
pin3 - REFCLK-
pin4 - PERST

Second pin connect to REFCLK- or REFCLK+ ?

Thank you.

I made my project public, so you can look into it closely. Take a look here: https://easyeda.com/jarda.stepan/EC2USB
USB pins are connected this way:
pin1 - WAKE#
pin2 - REFCLK-
pin3 - REFCLK+
pin4 - PERST#
pin5 - PETp0
pin6 - PETn0
pin7 - GND
pin8 - PERp0
pin9 - PERn0

I have measured the traces on USB Riser cards and designed it the same way. You can expect the average performance (about 370 MiB/s). I have designed the PCB as a replacement for Expresscard USB3 extension. You can take a look at the pictures.

20180917 165338(1)
20180917 180448(1)
20180917 180629(1)
20180917 180747(1)

Moussa Bayou, 3RYL, Risebell and 2 people liked
ReplyQuote
diyman
(@diyman)
Eminent Member

Very nice job!
Where did you make the PCB? Can you send a link?

I found a schematic drawing of PE4L on the Internet.
I think, the delay switches could even be used for this version.

ReplyQuote
diyman
(@diyman)
Eminent Member

Posted by: Risebell

Hey there!
Thanks for sharing the drawing. I am attempting to build such an adapter myself and have pretty much the same parts as you do, except for a slight difference on the mpcie side...
IMG_20180930_173956 IMG_20180930_174103
As you can see the top most pin on the top side is not connected. Will that potentially be a problem? What exactly does the bridge at "R2" in your drawing do?
Also, do you have any tips about how to solder this? You showed it's possible, but I am just a soldering noob and those pins are damn small...
Thanks again!

Hi!
I'm sorry to answer you late.
The R2 bridge is not important, it just needs to be awakened from sleep mode.

Yes, unfortunately the pins are very small, it may take a long time to finish.

Did the project succeed?

ReplyQuote
Jero
 Jero
(@jero)

Very nice job!

I have ordered the PCB at JCLPCB ( https://jlcpcb.com/ ) . There is a link from EasyEDA ( https://easyeda.com/ ), you just design the board and proceed to order right from editor. The only "downside" is that you have to order at least 5 or 10 board, so I've got 9 of them left. 😀
The only thing which bothers me is that you have to manually shut down the PSU.

ReplyQuote
diyman
(@diyman)
Eminent Member

Very nice job!

I have ordered the PCB at JCLPCB ( https://jlcpcb.com/ ) . There is a link from EasyEDA ( https://easyeda.com/ ), you just design the board and proceed to order right from editor. The only "downside" is that you have to order at least 5 or 10 board, so I've got 9 of them left. 😀
The only thing which bothers me is that you have to manually shut down the PSU.

It looks very good, thank you!

Yeah, that's a little wrong ...
Perhaps the 3.3V_aux pin (expresscard pin), so that the power supply is informed of turning off the computer.

Maybe I should have an IC, which will ground the green PSU of the PSU when it detects the 3.3V.

Thus switching off the power, when the laptop does not give power, ie it is off.

Yes, this is a problem with custom PCB ordering. 🙁

ReplyQuote
Risebell
(@risebell)

Hi!
I'm sorry to answer you late.
The R2 bridge is not important, it just needs to be awakened from sleep mode.

Yes, unfortunately the pins are very small, it may take a long time to finish.

Did the project succeed?

Hey!
Unfortunately it didn't succeed yet. Could be either the missing wake pin or the fact that I made the wires a bit to short and couldn't get the usb cable properly connected.
That said, I just ordered 10 of Jero's PCBs and hope that will save me from another ~6 hours of soldering. 😀
I will report back when they arrive, could take 2-4 weeks though.

ReplyQuote
diyman
(@diyman)
Eminent Member

I resoldered my ExpressCard -> mini-B USB (on the mPCIe PCB) version.
In this PDF (page 20 - Figure 19.) I found diagrams of the PERST signal, and I think that not the PERST signal should be delayed, but the CPPE.
CPPE tells to the notebook that the EC module is present and uses PCIe.
The PERST signal is sent by the notebook to VGA, but the notebook can delay it if you need it.

Because I do not use WAKE (I don’t send the notebook to sleep if eGPU is connected), so I connected the CPPE to the VCC pin of the USB socket inside the EC.
The WAKE pin was insulated on VGA, and I soldered a cable to the USB VCC pin (on the riser) and then connected it to the GND.

So when the USB cable is not connected, it is as if there was no EC module present. And if you connect the cable, the process that you see in the diagramwill start. For me, this method is completely made the Radeon R7 260X plug & play.

ReplyQuote
Risebell
(@risebell)

Update: The PCB's arrived and I had no issues soldering it all together. However, when I try to connect the gpu to my laptop it won't get recognized and the system feels very slow for some reason (imagine high ram usage and trying to do anything). I checked my soldering for shorts and couldn't find any, and tried a different board to connect the gpu to, all to no avail. I guess I'm at a dead end here, don't know what to try next. Did someone run into similar issues?

ReplyQuote
diyman
(@diyman)
Eminent Member

Update: The PCB's arrived and I had no issues soldering it all together. However, when I try to connect the gpu to my laptop it won't get recognized and the system feels very slow for some reason (imagine high ram usage and trying to do anything). I checked my soldering for shorts and couldn't find any, and tried a different board to connect the gpu to, all to no avail. I guess I'm at a dead end here, don't know what to try next. Did someone run into similar issues?

I know the phenomenon unfortunately.
Slowness of the system means that it detects eGPU but can not set it correctly.

The slow system is due to the weak or noisy signal.
It may be that the USB cable is of poor quality, or solder abut each other.
Try to set ExpressCard to gen1 if it is not set yet.

For check my soldering I used a multimeter and set it for resistance measurement.
If the two studs are not one, the resistance is zero.

I ordered an ExpressCard 54mm version from eBay, if it arrive, I measure the physical dimensions of the PCB and modify the Jero's PCB to 54mm version and add ceramic capacitors.
I ordered a 1m UGREEN USB 3.0 Male to Male cable for the project, hopefully good quality.
Filtering the TX signal noise uses the ceramic capacitor.
Looking backwards, this also appears on the ExpressCard's PCB, filters the USB 3.0 socket's TX signals and PCIe TX signals.

ReplyQuote
Risebell
(@risebell)

Haven't tried that yet, I'll give it a go, but that shouldn't be a permanent solution in my opinion.

For check my soldering I used a multimeter and set it for resistance measurement.

That's exactly what I did aswell, so I'm pretty sure there are no shorts.

I ordered a 1m UGREEN USB 3.0 Male to Male cable for the project, hopefully good quality.

If it's indeed a bad usb cable for me then you are probably out of luck aswell, I'm using a ugreen 50cm usb 3.0 cable 😕

ReplyQuote
mr.ribeiro
(@mr-ribeiro)
Eminent Member

Haven't tried that yet, I'll give it a go, but that shouldn't be a permanent solution in my opinion.

That's exactly what I did aswell, so I'm pretty sure there are no shorts.

If it's indeed a bad usb cable for me then you are probably out of luck aswell, I'm using a ugreen 50cm usb 3.0 cable 😕

You make the project?

ReplyQuote
csakzozo
(@csakzozo)

Hi guys,
Any status updates on this project?
Is the HW functional for Gen2 speeds? And is anyone from europe willing to share the costs of these cards? I'd be happy to take off your hands 2-3 of these cards if you have spare and the Gen2 problem is solved.
Thanks a lot!

ReplyQuote
Jero
 Jero
(@jero)

Posted by: csakzozo

Hi guys,
Any status updates on this project?
Is the HW functional for Gen2 speeds? And is anyone from europe willing to share the costs of these cards? I'd be happy to take off your hands 2-3 of these cards if you have spare and the Gen2 problem is solved.
Thanks a lot!

I have 9 of them left, I can send you some (I'm from Czech Republic). 😉 Unfortunately I'm not at home, so I can't send you more images of some benchmarks. You can look at my older posts, CUDA-Z showed speeds around 370 MiB/s host to device (which is the maximum what you can expect from Expresscard).
But I'm facing serious performance drops while under load - from 370 MiB/s H2D to about 200 MiB/s (according to CUDA-Z). Any suggestions? Maybe it is due to EMI - maybe place some capacitors on RX and TX lines?
BTW. @diyman Great work making the adapter plug & play. 😉

Thanks.

ReplyQuote
Lazze93
(@lazze93)

I tried this method on my lenovo T420. I modified old expresscard tv adapter and connected it to pci-e mining riser card just like in the pictures but I can't find my GPU in device manager. I have tried GT 7300, GTX 460 and Radeon HD 3850. When I try to install drivers it wont find suitable hardware. I have my power supply powered on and fan is spinning in the graphics card but nothing happens even if I plug/unplug the adapter from expresscard slot. I have also checked all the connections and that there are no shorts between them. Any help for further troubleshooting? Thanks !

ReplyQuote
diyman
(@diyman)
Eminent Member

Lazze93

1. I suggest that the mode in BIOS be set to UEFI in any case. If you do not have a UEFI installed system, then reinstall it in UEFI mode if you can.
  2. Make sure the ExpressCard is set to gen1.
  3. Turn off the laptop.
  4. Launch the eGPU power supply.
  5. Turn on the laptop.
  6. When connected, connect the ExpressCard.

If it works, Windows will say that a new hardware is connected.
Then you can install the driver.

Jero

When you load the bandwidth during a load, the measured bandwidth will, of course, be less because it uses the whole of the system.

Thanks, I will also publish the plans when they are ready!

csakzozo

Gen2 works. For me with the first cable, the 9600GT stably operated on gen2.
Unfortunately I cut the cable during the development and since then I have not found such a good quality.
I'm currently working on converting Jero's PCBs to ExpressCard 54 and fine-tuning fine tuning.
I plan to order PCB in December. I live in Hungary if I understand your name well, you can be Hungarian too. ...Or not.  :mrgreen: 

Risebell

The cable came yesterday, I hope it will be as good as it looks.
I'm sorry that your system does not work, but there is some EMI problem in your system.

FormatFactoryDSC 0034

FormatFactoryDSC 0035

FormatFactoryDSC 0036

FormatFactoryDSC 0037

FormatFactoryDSC 0033

ReplyQuote
Lazze93
(@lazze93)

I tried what you suggested, I turned boot to uefi only and set the speed to gen 1.
Did you mean that i should plug the card after windows has booted or just after I press the laptop power button?

I tried both actually but nothing happened when i plugged the card in.

Thanks for help.

ReplyQuote
Lazze93
(@lazze93)

I think I know what the problem might be. I noticed that in the "PERST#" pin on expresscard was soldered to wrong pin on the usb card. I checked where all the connections go on the circuit board and it wasn't connected to anything. Should this go to gnd instead?

ReplyQuote
diyman
(@diyman)
Eminent Member

Posted by: Lazze93

I think I know what the problem might be. I noticed that in the "PERST#" pin on expresscard was soldered to wrong pin on the usb card. I checked where all the connections go on the circuit board and it wasn't connected to anything. Should this go to gnd instead?

mPCIe have PERST pin, but if you use USB 3.0 Type-A connector, you need solder PERST to GND pin of USB. But do not connect USB's GND with the board's GND.

ReplyQuote
Lazze93
(@lazze93)

yes I have similar USB 3.0 type-A connector as Jero
I can post some pictures of the wiring later just to be sure.

ReplyQuote
Lazze93
(@lazze93)

Here is a quick layout of my wiring. Can you see if there is something wrong? In the diagram that Jero made it seems like the ground wires should not be connected from usb board to expresscard connector but in the mPcie version in first post they are linked.

pins

ReplyQuote
diyman
(@diyman)
Eminent Member

Posted by: Lazze93

Here is a quick layout of my wiring. Can you see if there is something wrong? In the diagram that Jero made it seems like the ground wires should not be connected from usb board to expresscard connector but in the mPcie version in first post they are linked.

pins

I see the mistake.
The USB GND is not the ExpressCard's GND. Jero's drawing is correct.

The PERST resets when it reaches GND of the ExpressCard (or laptop). In your case, PERST will rescind you permanently.

Jero's drawing can be used if you do it with USB 3.0 Type-A connector.

If you are using the mPCIe module, you will need to follow the drawing I have made.

Maybe my English is bad, I'm sorry, but I learned German as a foreign language (it was long ago 😀 ).

ReplyQuote
Lazze93
(@lazze93)

Yes I was sure there is something wrong.
I will make modifications and hopefully it should work.

Thanks again for help! 🙂

ReplyQuote
Lazze93
(@lazze93)

I made the changes to circuit but I still it wont show anything in device manager. This is the updated wiring.

I also checked with multimeter that connections go to usb in the correct way.

pins2

ReplyQuote
 of  4