Setup & Software Discussions
2012 14" HP Elitebook 8470P [3rd,2C,M] + 9600 [email protected] (PCE164P-N03) + Win1...

2012 14" HP Elitebook 8470P [3rd,2C,M] + 9600 [email protected] (PCE164P-N03) + Win10 [diyman]  

of  4
  RSS

diyman
(@diyman)
Eminent Member

What kind of connector do you want to convert ExpressCard?
Can you upload a photo of your ExpressCard?

I will summarize the implemented versions of a schematic drawing, for ease of reference.

2012 14" HP 8470p + GTX560/[email protected] + $7 eGPU [EC2 MOD]

ReplyQuote
Lazze93
(@lazze93)

Heres some pictures. I know its a mess but I checked all connectors many times and also that there is no short between pins.

https://imgur.com/a/uKg17V0

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
diyman
(@diyman)
Eminent Member

Thank you for the photos.
Here are the drawings, you're making version B.
At the PCIe slot, PowerGood corresponds to PERST # pin.
I hope it helps.

implementations

version A version B version C
version A

version B

version C

Extension/help for version C

connector wiring for version C

This post was modified 6 months ago

ReplyQuote
Lazze93
(@lazze93)

I already tried the version b. I wanted to try version C but I noticed that my usb board has no pin to "usb gdn #4" so I soldered perst# directly to bottom of the pcb.
Now I get new gpu in device manager and I'm installing drivers at the moment. Thanks again so much for help! Would not be possible without you 🙂

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

diyman liked
ReplyQuote
csakzozo
(@csakzozo)

Hey diyman, 

You are saying that Jeros pcboard would work with gen2 speeds, if I get a good enough USB cable?

ReplyQuote
diyman
(@diyman)
Eminent Member

I think it is yes. Components have come to me, I plan to modify the PCB and order next week. If it arrived, I will test gen1 vs gen2 comparison. We will see the quality of the components (EC module, Ugreen USB cable and the PCB) and if it works well, I will share the project here.

Jero, 3RYL and csakzozo liked
ReplyQuote
Lazze93
(@lazze93)

I had error 43 but I managed to install compatible drivers. I also needed to change my psu because system was crashing often.

I got left 4 dead 2 working on external monitor with GTX 460. Only issue was that
only gen 1 speed worked. If I switch to gen 2 in bios the error 43 will appear again. 
Any advice how to start troubleshooting? 

ReplyQuote
csakzozo
(@csakzozo)

Hey Jero, 

I think I'll take you up on this offer!
I can't DM yet, being new on the forum, but could you contact me on yahoo, to discuss the details and we don't spam everyone here? Same user name as here. 

Thanks! 

Cheers!

ReplyQuote
diyman
(@diyman)
Eminent Member

Posted by: Lazze93

I had error 43 but I managed to install compatible drivers. I also needed to change my psu because system was crashing often.

I got left 4 dead 2 working on external monitor with GTX 460. Only issue was that
only gen 1 speed worked. If I switch to gen 2 in bios the error 43 will appear again. 
Any advice how to start troubleshooting? 

Gen2 signal is sensitive to electromagnetic noise. Your attached photo shows a lot of soldering. Try to use less solder and shorter wires. Or if you can use shorter and better quality usb cables.

ReplyQuote
csakzozo
(@csakzozo)

You think using coaxial cable with common ground in the EC card is a good option?

ReplyQuote
diyman
(@diyman)
Eminent Member

I think the coax cable's core is too big for soldering.
I used wires of a telephone cable, but should be good any copper wire.

ReplyQuote
alphatozeta
(@alphatozeta)

Here is what I have right now:
EVGA GTX 960 SSC
Thinkpad T430 with 34mm Expresscard slot
Since the card can saturate the maximum 4Gbps bandwidth of Exp 2, I'm looking to get the best setup in terms of performance, cost, and space used.
Looking at the solutions available, the GDC Beast and the P4EC16-N03 pop out. I've read a bunch about the P4EC16, and people seem to be having a lot of trouble with the USB cable not providing gen 2 speeds, and having to solder the express card.    
On the other hand, the GDC Beast is portrayed as something that more "jank" and unreliable compared to the P4EC16 and it's also more expensive.    
Has anyone built a Expresscard + P4EC16 machine and gotten gen 2 speeds? Also, is there another solution that avoids soldering? I do have a bunch of PSU cables, but no PSU, so I'm trying to drive the entire thing off a Dell DA-2.

ReplyQuote
KasperMarouan
(@kaspermarouan)

@dub_monster  did the usb to expresscard work for you ??? Thnx

ReplyQuote
(@dub_monster)

Posted by: KasperMarouan

@dub_monster  did the usb to expresscard work for you ??? Thnx

I did not even bother try it. I'm using just Expresscard adapter of EXP GDC

8470p {3320M, HD 4000, 8GB DDR3, 128GB+128GB, 1600x900 14"}
eGPU: EXP GDC Beast 8.4C, Dell DA-2/GPS-500A8

ReplyQuote
KasperMarouan
(@kaspermarouan)

i have an HP 2570p and i want to use a Riser 009s/007s which comes with PCIe X1/USB3 (i live in Algeria and we only have these.....the miniPCIe version are not available and we don't have VISA cards to buy from the net ).so how can i make the wire connection from PCIe X1 /USB3.0 to Expresscard ?

ReplyQuote
Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)
Prominent Member Moderator

While this is possible to solder such an adapter yourself, you'd still need a donor board for an Expresscard connector. It is also not a trivial soldering job.

My eGPU Zoo - Link to my Implementations.
Want to output [email protected] out of an old system on the cheap? Read here.
Give your Node Pro a second Thunderbolt3 controller for reliable peripherals by re-using a TB3 dock (~50$).

"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."- Robert A. Heinlein, "Time Enough for Love."

ReplyQuote
scoopspoof
(@scoopspoof)

Lenovo W510 
Core i7 M620
Nvidia Quadro fx 880M

Using 220V ATX PSU + PCE164P-N032 Port USB 3.0 Express Card ExpressCard 34mm + USB 3.0 A male to A male Cable
GPU -  Nvidia GT730 2GB

Problem 1 - Upon inserting Expresscard into the slot. The laptop simply doesn't boot up. It gets stuck on splash screen with no way to jump into bios.
Problem 2 - If expresscard inserted after booting up simply doesn't lets my GPU being detected in windows for obvious reasons

What I have done so far :
Changed Bios settings : 
Disabled PCI power management
Disabled PCI express power management.

So far its a disappointing failure with no workaround I can think of. 
Any help would be greatly appreciated

ReplyQuote
Lazze93
(@lazze93)

Posted by: scoopspoof

Lenovo W510 
Core i7 M620
Nvidia Quadro fx 880M

Using 220V ATX PSU + PCE164P-N032 Port USB 3.0 Express Card ExpressCard 34mm + USB 3.0 A male to A male Cable
GPU -  Nvidia GT730 2GB

Problem 1 - Upon inserting Expresscard into the slot. The laptop simply doesn't boot up. It gets stuck on splash screen with no way to jump into bios.
Problem 2 - If expresscard inserted after booting up simply doesn't lets my GPU being detected in windows for obvious reasons

What I have done so far :
Changed Bios settings : 
Disabled PCI power management
Disabled PCI express power management.

So far its a disappointing failure with no workaround I can think of. 
Any help would be greatly appreciated

How did you modify the expresscard? You need to look the way your adapters pci-e slot is wired to the usb cable.
You can use a multimeter to check those 9 wires and then match those with the expresscard slot.

I made some tests with Radeon R9 270x and I had decent performance on external monitor. It worked at gen 2 speed even with my exposed wiring on the expresscard. 

Now I bought GTX 760 because I want to use the internal display and Nvidia supports that. However I am unable to get gen 2 to work with this gpu.
It worked for few times after I installed RF shield on the expresscard but not very stable and only reaches 200 MiB/s transfer rate in cuda-z monitoring. One time I was lucky and it was little while at 400 Mib /s and fps in furmark almost doubled.

I did my best and reworked the wiring but it didn't help and I'm running out of ideas. 
Even my cable is not too long but I can try to buy a better one, any suggestions?

ReplyQuote
KasperMarouan
(@kaspermarouan)

im using 2570p and bought riser 007s(pcie164p-m03) and connected the wires as illustarted by @diyman schematic (Version C).......but when i plug the expresscard the device manager cant detect it and the system becomes very slow (almost unresponsive)
things i tried :
-used R7 360
-used HD 5450
-tested the riser in a desktop with HD5450 and it worked
-booted with on/off PSU also tried a delay of 7 and 14 using chronometer 
-Changed Expresscard between Gen 1 and 2 in bios 
-removed pin 17 CPPE# from ground in this case the system did not slow down but did not detect gpu either
-tried to swap REFCLK+ with REFCLK- 
-updated the bios to latest version 
Anyone have an idea where the problem might be ????

ReplyQuote
diyman
(@diyman)
Eminent Member

I guess what the problem is. The drawing is not clear and the picture from USB may not be readable. I'll improve. Sorry again.

CPPE# indicates the presence of the module.
If not connected to GND, the notebook thinks that there is no ExpressCard in the notebook.
I used this exactly for the delay. I haven't had too much time lately, but I look over.

Update:
I added a image from USB 3.0 (Type-A) connector pin names. You'll find it in the post where the versions are, I hope this helps.
Later I will add this schematic draws for the original main post.

ReplyQuote
KasperMarouan
(@kaspermarouan)

Update:  i did connect everything correctly with no shorts (i made sure by using a multimeter) i used your schematics first and then @jero 's and both resulted in system slow down without gpu getting detected . i even installed a fresh copy of win7 and it was the same thing........am i supposed to perform DSDT before plugging the expresscard ???or something else is wrong???im getting frustrated ...HELP

ReplyQuote
diyman
(@diyman)
Eminent Member

Posted by: KasperMarouan

Update:  i did connect everything correctly with no shorts (i made sure by using a multimeter) i used your schematics first and then @jero 's and both resulted in system slow down without gpu getting detected . i even installed a fresh copy of win7 and it was the same thing........am i supposed to perform DSDT before plugging the expresscard ???or something else is wrong???im getting frustrated ...HELP

It will probably be a stability problem.
Unfortunately, when I tested version C, it didn't work with cables. ExpressCard is very sensitive to noise, and if you do not use PCB, stability problems may occur. I recommend version C with PCB only.

Unfortunately, I know that "version A" might seem more complicated, but more stable and better if you don't have a PCB.

Version "B" is also not recommended with cables, only with PCB.
The idea of implementing version B is to have the ExpressCard and VGA's PCIe slots on a single PCB. The PCB for this has not been designed yet.

Unfortunately, I can only suggest that you try to set gen1 and set UEFI without CSM.
DSDT override is only required if the card is equipped with 2GB or more of VRAM, or if you get "error 12" anyway.

Try the HD5450 first.

ReplyQuote
KasperMarouan
(@kaspermarouan)

I solved the detection problem by doinh a pin assignment with a multimeter for my riser 007s and found the following :
-PERn0 > stda-ssRX+
-PERp0 > stda-ssRX-
-REFCLK +>D-
-REFCLK ->D+
-PETn0 > stda-ssTX+
-PETp0 > stda-ssTX-
-wake#> vcc
-PERST > GND
-GND pins >GND-Drain

I made a  PCB (i will post it later ) out of the above and it worked 
I got error 12 solved it by performing DSDT. then error code 43 appeared  and i can't find a solution for it 
PS : I'm using r7 360 DRiver 19.1.2
PS: it worked once for some reason error 43 disappeared and I even played NFS Payback on it but after rebooting the PC the problem reoccured

ReplyQuote
diyman
(@diyman)
Eminent Member

Yes, this is version C.
Jero was the first what designed a PCB.

ReplyQuote
mr.ribeiro
(@mr-ribeiro)
Eminent Member

@diyman, Is reliable an DIY version of this with a USB3 connector?

ReplyQuote
diyman
(@diyman)
Eminent Member

Posted by: P4RANOID

@diyman, Is reliable an DIY version of this with a USB3 connector?

Version C is hopefully stable (only with custom PCB).
Wait a few days, soon my PCB will arrive, then I will write my experiences.

ReplyQuote
Lazze93
(@lazze93)

I will also try the pcb mod soon. I can post the results and comparison after its finished.

I noticed before that the version C is not correct drawing for my adapter. I needed to change receiver and transmitter lanes around.
Jeros earlier schematic was correct for me.

It might be that there are similar but different adapters with switched wiring on usb? 

I also had idea that it might be possible to get pcie 4x through M2 NGFF slot but it would require two usb 3.0 cables for all the lanes or maybe some other like hdmi with more wiring.
It would need custom M2. adapter and custom pcb for pci-e adapter but they have only few components so it shouldn't be that difficult and all parts can be removed from regular adapter like the pci-e slot and capacitors and molex connector.

My other laptop has this slot and I have M2 to usb adapter but its only x1. It has intel gen 7 i5 cpu that should support Gen 3 speeds that might be enough to have decent performance so I dont know how much more performance 4x would allow.

ReplyQuote
diyman
(@diyman)
Eminent Member

DSC 0131

DSC 0133

DSC 0132

DSC 0135

DSC 0136

DSC 0137

DSC 0139

DSC 0138

DSC 0141

DSC 0140

The result ~320MB/s in CUDA-Z (tested with 9600GT).
Fortunately, the 1m long Male to Male Ugreen cable is perfect.
I am currently using Sapphire R7 260X 2GB, which plug & play with the eGPU system.
Later I check the PCB design and share it here.

I made an automatic shutdown with a relay. The notebook's USB gives power to the relay and the relay turns on the PSU. When the notebook turns off, the relay turns off the PSU.
The delayed connection project failed. I discovered that GND should be delayed alongside CPPE#. One image shows the delay circuit and another circuit that converts the push button to toggle button.

I designed a secondary USB 3.0 socket.
Optionally, it gives + 3.3V (for 3.3V relay - auto power on), WAKE# pin, USB 2.0 Data + and Data connection, and CPUSB # pin to activate USB 2.0.

ReplyQuote
mr.ribeiro
(@mr-ribeiro)
Eminent Member

@diyman, With base in this results on cuda-z, is impossible to play? same on external monitor? thx for answer my quests..

This post was modified 5 months ago

ReplyQuote
diyman
(@diyman)
Eminent Member

This result was on external display.
My primary eGPU card is a AMD R7 260X 2GB, so i can't run CUDA-Z.
I tested once with the old 9600GT.

AIDA 64 GPGPU benchmark not works for me with the 260X. The test is stopped. May vram error.

But I now play Watch_Dogs. Possible to play.

ReplyQuote
mariscolarry
(@mariscolarry)

For anyone who's still trying to to the original mod, I found 30 AWG enameled wire to be much easier to work with. Also, it might be a good idea to preserve the ground plane on this thing, to reduce the number of jumpers needed. I have not gotten it working yet, however like @KasperMarouan, my cpu just slows way down. That should be something good, right? I'll reread the thread in a few.

Pictured above, all I've connected are:
Perp0
Pern0
Refclk(-)
Refclk(+)
Petp0
Petn0

In that order. Let me know if I'm missing anything

ReplyQuote
sandwichram
(@sandwichram)

Hi
New here.
I was hoping you guys can shed some light on my new plan.
My original plan of following diymans guide went wrong because when disassembling the esata expresscard i had, i ruined the locking mechanism.
I have extra parts of this laptop. A Dell Vostro 3500 and i ripped apart a expresscard socket to find out if i could do something with it. After taking it apart i was thinking maybe i could move the expresscard holder further up and use that as the "front" plug? I was thinking of soldering the original sockets positions pads, to the repostioned "holder" with ethernet wires and glueing it in place. Then i thought of eliminating the PCI-e mini-card by soldering the USB3 mini cable directly to the esata expresscard plug. Would this work better it eliminates the socket or would it be better to just wait 1 month for a expresscard from China? 
https://imgur.com/4783BbN

Dell Vostro 3500
Intel I5 430M 2.26 Ghz Dual core with hyperthreading
8GB 1066Mhz Hynix, Integrated graphics
diymans diy EC mod (eventually)
Zotac GTX 560Ti, Not done yet

ReplyQuote
deuterium
(@deuterium)

hi, i've been researching this project for a few days and i tought i'd share my "progress" so far. I want to create my own design featuring a USB-C connector for reversablility and durability reasons. the type-c connector features 24 pins, plenty for out 9 pin USB-A connector (the one found on the pci-e adapter). although it may seem sensible to to use this connector there is a seriours compatibility concern. following the usb type-c standard specification pdf  i considered the featured "usb-c to standard a 3.1 connection". following jero's schematic for the custom pcb, power GND and GND_DRAIN need to be isolated in order to work and here lies our problem, if a check for continuity with my multimeter on a standard usb-c to usb-a 3.2 i see that pin a1,b1,a12 and b12 (all the GND of the type-c plug) are interconnected, resulting in a dead short across all grounds and connector shielding. if i check for continuity on the adapter itself i can see that GND_DRAIN is connected to shield, while GND (power gnd) is isolated and not interconnected. using a Type-c connector would therefore be unfeasable, due to potential short(depends on the cable manufacturer though).

ReplyQuote
sandwichram
(@sandwichram)

I went ahead with it and i have had some succes but i guess 2Gbps is just not enough bandwith. sigh. Have to find a 2 gen i core laptop. It works tho, and i get around 40 fps in deus ex human revolution at 1440x900 on medium settings. external monitor. had to burn off the isolation. Thats why the 30AWG is burnt. It doesnt seem to make a difference if i connect it to unmodified expresscard board (cuda z no custom) or modified with repostioned socket (cuda z reports).
https://imgur.com/8bDVy44
https://imgur.com/ESS7i0r
https://imgur.com/XeeP07l
https://imgur.com/ZTyyNC1 (cuda z reports)
https://imgur.com/NZbNlfj (cuda z no custom)
https://imgur.com/uNGxYdM

Dell Vostro 3500
Intel I5 430M 2.26 Ghz Dual core with hyperthreading
8GB 1066Mhz Hynix, Integrated graphics
diymans diy EC mod (eventually)
Zotac GTX 560Ti, Not done yet

ReplyQuote
(@moussa_bayou)

Hi diyman,

I have an HP Pavilion DV7-3160es with a spare Expresscard slot, my cpu is a 1st gen i5-430M. Would you think a heavy card (like say a RTX 2060) could run on the pcb replaced USB3.0 -> EC adapter just fine?

Salutations,

This post was modified 4 months ago

ReplyQuote
Mosab jawabreh
(@mosab_jawabreh)

@diyman @nando4

Hey Diyman, I have almost the same laptop as you but I have an issue, that the device manager fails to detect the eGPU.

I'm using the express card connection
I'm suspecting the Bios setup to be the problem. But 1st here is my full gear:

System specs

HP 8470p - 14" - 1366x768

• CPU: Intel Core i5-3320M
  • RAM: (2+8)GB DDR3 1600MHz
  • iGPU: Intel HD4000
  • dGPU: none

eGPU hardware:
Sapphire R9 270X 2G GDDR5
Express Card

• Sapphire R9 270X 2g GDDR5
  • PCI-E Version Expresscard V8.0 EXP GDC Beast link
  • PSU 410 W

Any clue what is the problem? is it the Bios setup? I'll attach pictures of Bios if required.
Note: I connected the PSU at the 24 pin(the greeb-black wire) so it can be switched on.

This post was modified 4 months ago

HP 8470p - 14" - 1366x768, OS: Windows 7 Pro
CPU: Intel Core i5-3320M
RAM: 10GB DDR3 1600MHz
iGPU: Intel HD4000
eGPU hardware:
Sapphire R9 270X 2g GDDR5
PCI-E Version Expresscard V8.0 EXP GDC Beast with USB 3.0 Mini PCI-E to PCIe PCI Express

ReplyQuote
 of  4