2012 14" HP Elitebook 8470P + GTX560/[email protected] (PCE164P-N03) + Win10 [diyman]  

Page 3 / 3 Prev
  RSS

diyman
(@diyman)
Eminent Member
December 4, 2018 7:29 pm  

What kind of connector do you want to convert ExpressCard?
Can you upload a photo of your ExpressCard?

I will summarize the implemented versions of a schematic drawing, for ease of reference.

2012 14" HP 8470p + GTX560/[email protected] + $7 eGPU [EC2 MOD]

ReplyQuote
Lazze93
(@lazze93)
December 4, 2018 9:38 pm  

Heres some pictures. I know its a mess but I checked all connectors many times and also that there is no short between pins.

https://imgur.com/a/uKg17V0

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
diyman
(@diyman)
Eminent Member
December 4, 2018 10:55 pm  

Thank you for the photos.
Here are the drawings, you're making version B.
At the PCIe slot, PowerGood corresponds to PERST # pin.
I hope it helps.

version A version B version C

ReplyQuote
Lazze93
(@lazze93)
December 5, 2018 12:35 am  

I already tried the version b. I wanted to try version C but I noticed that my usb board has no pin to "usb gdn #4" so I soldered perst# directly to bottom of the pcb.
Now I get new gpu in device manager and I'm installing drivers at the moment. Thanks again so much for help! Would not be possible without you 🙂

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

diyman liked
ReplyQuote
csakzozo
(@csakzozo)
December 5, 2018 6:21 pm  

Hey diyman, 

You are saying that Jeros pcboard would work with gen2 speeds, if I get a good enough USB cable?

ReplyQuote
diyman
(@diyman)
Eminent Member
December 5, 2018 7:03 pm  

I think it is yes. Components have come to me, I plan to modify the PCB and order next week. If it arrived, I will test gen1 vs gen2 comparison. We will see the quality of the components (EC module, Ugreen USB cable and the PCB) and if it works well, I will share the project here.

Jero, 3RYL and csakzozo liked
ReplyQuote
Lazze93
(@lazze93)
December 6, 2018 5:35 pm  

I had error 43 but I managed to install compatible drivers. I also needed to change my psu because system was crashing often.

I got left 4 dead 2 working on external monitor with GTX 460. Only issue was that
only gen 1 speed worked. If I switch to gen 2 in bios the error 43 will appear again. 
Any advice how to start troubleshooting? 

ReplyQuote
csakzozo
(@csakzozo)
December 9, 2018 9:50 am  

Hey Jero, 

I think I'll take you up on this offer!
I can't DM yet, being new on the forum, but could you contact me on yahoo, to discuss the details and we don't spam everyone here? Same user name as here. 

Thanks! 

Cheers!

ReplyQuote
diyman
(@diyman)
Eminent Member
December 9, 2018 10:53 am  
Posted by: Lazze93

I had error 43 but I managed to install compatible drivers. I also needed to change my psu because system was crashing often.

I got left 4 dead 2 working on external monitor with GTX 460. Only issue was that
only gen 1 speed worked. If I switch to gen 2 in bios the error 43 will appear again. 
Any advice how to start troubleshooting? 

Gen2 signal is sensitive to electromagnetic noise. Your attached photo shows a lot of soldering. Try to use less solder and shorter wires. Or if you can use shorter and better quality usb cables.

ReplyQuote
csakzozo
(@csakzozo)
December 9, 2018 11:03 am  

You think using coaxial cable with common ground in the EC card is a good option?

ReplyQuote
diyman
(@diyman)
Eminent Member
December 9, 2018 11:37 am  

I think the coax cable's core is too big for soldering.
I used wires of a telephone cable, but should be good any copper wire.

ReplyQuote
alphatozeta
(@alphatozeta)
December 14, 2018 4:47 pm  

Here is what I have right now:
EVGA GTX 960 SSC
Thinkpad T430 with 34mm Expresscard slot
Since the card can saturate the maximum 4Gbps bandwidth of Exp 2, I'm looking to get the best setup in terms of performance, cost, and space used.
Looking at the solutions available, the GDC Beast and the P4EC16-N03 pop out. I've read a bunch about the P4EC16, and people seem to be having a lot of trouble with the USB cable not providing gen 2 speeds, and having to solder the express card.    
On the other hand, the GDC Beast is portrayed as something that more "jank" and unreliable compared to the P4EC16 and it's also more expensive.    
Has anyone built a Expresscard + P4EC16 machine and gotten gen 2 speeds? Also, is there another solution that avoids soldering? I do have a bunch of PSU cables, but no PSU, so I'm trying to drive the entire thing off a Dell DA-2.

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3 Prev