Setup & Software Discussions
2012 14" HP Elitebook 8470P [3rd,2C,M] + 9600 GT @ 4Gbps-EC2 (PCE164P-N03) + Wi...

2012 14" HP Elitebook 8470P [3rd,2C,M] + 9600 GT @ 4Gbps-EC2 (PCE164P-N03) + Win10 [diyman]  

of  4
  RSS

diyman
(@diyman)
Eminent Member

mariscolarry
The factory PCB must be remove, otherwise it won't work.

sandwichram
Nice work! unfortunately gen1 may be stuttering. 😥 Try  to use better and shorter cables.

Moussa Bayou
Nothing is guaranteed. But if your eGPU system is working, then an RTX 2060 works just like any PCI-e card.
Another issue is efficiency.

Mosab jawabreh
You need to check in the BIOS whether your laptop is in Legacy or UEFI mode.
If you are in Legacy mode, you will most likely have to use nando4's program. (Or you can reinstall Windows in UEFI mode.)
If your laptop is in UEFI mode, it may be a bit easier.
HP 8470p does not boot with connected eGPU.
In UEFI mode, try the following:
1. Turn on the VGA's power supply.
2. Turn on your laptop and press esc to enter the bios menu.
3. Join the eGPU and go on.
If you are lucky, error12 is waiting for you in the device manager.

2012 14" HP 8470p + GTX560/[email protected] + $7 eGPU (EC2 MOD)

ReplyQuote
(@moussa_bayou)

Diyman
I saw the 54mm Expresscard adapter PCB, and wondered when and if it will be ever released.
Just wondering before taking my project any further. Thanks for the previous reply btw.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts
HP Pavilion DV7-3160es i5-430m 6GB RAM G105M dGPU, planned GTX1050 for an eGPU

ReplyQuote
diyman
(@diyman)
Eminent Member

Here is the public project: https://easyeda.com/diyman/expresscard-to-usb-3-0-miner-riser-egpu-adapter-public

And I attached the gerber files in .zip file too.

At jlcpcb.com/quote you can upload the gerber zip and order it.
Set the PCB Thickness to 0.8mm, and the PCB Qty to 5.

Instruction images:

Connect the pins

Tape down the WAKE# pin on the VGA

This post was modified 7 months ago

2012 14" HP 8470p + GTX560/[email protected] + $7 eGPU (EC2 MOD)

ReplyQuote
pali
 pali
(@pali)

Posted by: Jero

I have 9 of them left, I can send you some (I'm from Czech Republic). 😉

Hi @jero! Do you still have some of them in CZ? (I tried to send you a PM, but forum rejected it: You are not allowed to write a message yet.)

Posted by: diyman

Here is the public project: https://easyeda.com/diyman/expresscard-to-usb-3-0-miner-riser-egpu-adapter-public  

Hi @diyman! Could you please explain why is WAKE# pin on VGA card needed to be taped down? Also have you tested USB 2.0 socket on your PCB? According to EC port pinout, it is only USB 2.0 (and not 3.0) right?

This post was modified 6 months ago

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
pali
 pali
(@pali)

@diyman Also what is the problem with pin which you highlighted on the last instruction image?

ReplyQuote
Jero
 Jero
(@jero)

Posted by: pali

Hi @jero! Do you still have some of them in CZ? (I tried to send you a PM, but forum rejected it: You are not allowed to write a message yet.)

Hi, I think I have. Please write me an e-mail to [email protected]

This post was modified 6 months ago

ThinkPad T430 + GTX [email protected]

ReplyQuote
(@moussa_bayou)

Hi,

So I've got the PCB ordered (finally) and I'm hopefully getting it in the next week.
The thing is I couldn't find any usb3.0 expresscard adapter. But as pali said, the pinout of the usb3.0 is the same as usb 2.0 in EC.

Furthermore, here in Algeria, USB 3.0 Expresscard adapters are basically rare, while USB 2.0 to Expresscard can be found.
Tried contacting stores and they said there might be some on the way in like 6 weeks.

Should I just go for a usb 2.0 to expresscard adapter (and probably use a female USB 3.0 from some available cheap products) or?

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Prominent Member

@moussa_bayou
Wikipedia says Express Card 2.0's USB 3.0 connection uses pins that are for PCIe so you can't do USB 3.0 and PCIe at the same time. The Bplus PE3A also explains this. Therefore, you should stick with just PCIe + USB 2.0.

I guess you want ExpressCard 2.0 anyway, to ensure support for PCIe 2.0 speed of 5 GT/s but I don't see anything that says earlier ExpressCard couldn't support 5 GT/s.

The ExpressCard 2.0 spec can be downloaded from http://www.usb.org/developers/expresscard/EC_specifications using the wayback machine web archive (Oct 2016).

Edit: I realize that you might not care about USB 3.0 functionality and just want the ExpressCard 2.0 adapters just for their connectors? Do you need a specific brand or model of ExpressCard adapter? Amazon has many - don't they ship to Algeria?

Question: I see the PCB for ExpressCard/34 only has PCIe. Is there a reason why it couldn't also expose a USB 2.0 connection like the PCB for ExpressCard/54 seems to? And can USB 2.0 and PCIe x1 be used at the same time?

This post was modified 2 months ago

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
(@moussa_bayou)

@joevt

Hi, I just realized the reply and I appreciate it. Also sorry for not reading it earlier as I already bought an Ethernet Expresscard that will come in handy later.

No, I wasn't really looking for specific models.

That said, the latter is a working 34mm ExpressCard 1.0 (not 2.0, also my laptop is only capable of 1.0), I also have a PCIe x1 - USB 3.0 that came with the Riser-006c, and both the 54mm/32mm PCBs that diyman shared before. Pretty much everything I need for my DIY adapter.

The question is if I should pick the 34mm PCB and solder stuff to it, then I have "the metal shields/plates" that cover the ExpressCard to, well.. cover it, or I should pick the 54mm PCB and have no shield to it (just placed as is with the soldered stuff in the Expresscard slot), and if there is any bandwidth differencies for both of them.

As for the 34mm Expresscard, I don't see why it wouldn't have a USB 2.0 connection, they're the same slot wise except for the size.

Edit: Actually, I will leave soldering components to a local store, they said they can do it for me.

This post was modified 1 month ago

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Prominent Member

@moussa_bayou

I believe there exists places where you can buy the Express Card connectors separately. There are places that sold the Express Card shields and plates but they have no stock now and probably won't get new stock.
https://www.digikey.com/products/en?keywords=expresscard%20shield
https://www.digikey.com/products/en/connectors-interconnects/memory-connectors-pc-card-sockets/414?FV=ffe0019e%2C1600012&quantity=0&ColumnSort=0&page=1&pageSize=25

I think any bandwidth differences would be caused by transmission errors which shouldn't occur if the quality is good enough.

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
(@moussa_bayou)

@joevt

Like I mentionned, I already have everything I need. The local store said that they can do all of the hardwork for me.

The PCBs I have came in a good quality, so transmission errors shouldn't be a thing.

I will be probably picking it the next wednesday, so lets hope my HP Pavilion DV7-3160 will take my GTX 1050 for a ride.

It's worth mentionning that I have a low profile 300w psu, that should come in handy when I make a portable case for it, I might even post in the builds section if it works out as it should.

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Prominent Member

Posted by: @moussa_bayou

low profile 300w psu

Model? I keep a database of psu form factors and their sizes.

ReplyQuote
(@moussa_bayou)

@joevt

a PM350SCA.

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Prominent Member

@moussa_bayou I couldn't find any description of the PM350SCA so I don't know what low profile means in this context. Do you know the dimension of the power supply?

ReplyQuote
(@moussa_bayou)

Posted by: @joevt

@moussa_bayou I couldn't find any description of the PM350SCA so I don't know what low profile means in this context. Do you know the dimension of the power supply?

12.6*13*6.4cm (excluding cables). It puts out up to 350watts.

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Prominent Member

@moussa_bayou

Ok. I think it's an SFX-L form factor power supply (130, 125, 63.5). Smaller than ATX, longer than SFX.

ReplyQuote
(@moussa_bayou)

@joevt

Look, I believe this is going off-topic. I might create a topic for this project.

ReplyQuote
(@moussa_bayou)

eGPU doesn't get detected on laptop running a riser 006c + DIY expresscard adapter

Hello,

Just like the title says, I have a riser 006c + DIY expresscard adapter on my HP Pavilion DV7-3160es and a GTX 1050 .

When I booted up my system, it doesn't even get listed on the device manager nor that I get some slow down issues.

What could have gone wrong? There should be some troubleshooting steps right?

Looking forward to an answer, I can provide way more infos if necessary.

It's worth mentioning that I followed this post to make the adapter, and I can assure you it looks all sharp and clean.

Any answers?

This post was modified 4 days ago

ReplyQuote
(@moussa_bayou)

Btw I tried some troubleshooting steps,
1/ I turned on PSU then started my laptop.
2/ I turned on PSU after halting windows startup using F8 then continued.
3/ I turned on PSU right when the 4 dots of windows emerged.

I'm using windows 7.

Btw, it is worth noting that while testing the ethernet expresscard (that I desoldered the expresscard male adapter from) worked after installing the driver that came with it, even tho it was NOT detected anywhere in Device Manager before I did so.

Should I DDU the G105M 342.01 driver then try to install the new 378.78 driver?
In other words, Can I force the newer driver to install w/o any GPU detected?

I might leave this one to @nando4 or @diyman

Edit: Turned out, I forgot to solder USB VCC to GND on the riser's USB 3.0 pins, not sure if it helps tho.

This post was modified 15 hours ago

ReplyQuote
 of  4