2012 14" HP Elitebook 8470P [3rd,2C,M] + 9600 GT @ 4Gbps-EC2 (PCE164P-N03) + Wi...

Notifications
Clear all

2012 14" HP EliteBook 8470P [3rd,2C,M] + 9600 GT @ 4Gbps-EC2 (PCE164P-N03) + Win10 [diyman]  

of  14
  RSS

Jero
 Jero
(@jero)

I did a single run of Valley benchmark with those results. Don't know if it helps you.  😀

ThinkPad T430 + GTX [email protected]

ReplyQuote
JaggieMcCool
(@jaggiemccool)

Posted by: Jero

I did a single run of Valley benchmark with those results. Don't know if it helps you.  😀

wow...thanks for reply...
I just checked some score results for Unigine Valley of other desktop users...
regular 660 had about 1700 points and regular 560 had about 1200-1300 points... 
so it seems going higher than Fermi gpu does not make much sense for this express 1.1-2.0
nevertheless I am still glad your "rig" is fully functional

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
YOON2002
(@yoon2002)

I am very interested in a stable EC2<--->PCIe x16 and planning to design a custom PCB and order it at jlcpcb.com. (It's dirt cheap, a set of 10 two-layered PCBs under 10cm x 10cm for $2)
I will try to create it based on the information in this thread, but would prefer some help since I have zero knowledge regarding electrical (electronic) engineering. haha

My goal is:
A single pcb with Expresscard connector (will going to use one from the original Expresscard to USB), USB type A socket that actually carries PCIe signal, and a USB type C socket that carries USB signal.
The addition of type C socket is because many laptops that support ExpressCard are pretty old, and maybe we might need to use type-C accessories in the future.
The PCB will replace (m)PCIe side of the adapter, and will connect directly to the other side of the adapter (x16).

I will design the thing in using this web-based tool, so anyone interested could have a look or work together.
http://www.usb.org/developers/expresscard/EC_specifications/ExpressCard_2_0_FINAL.pdf
Here is the specification document of Expresscard, I don't know if it will help but anyway.

I'll come back to report with progress, stay tuned!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Jero
 Jero
(@jero)

I got it working by connecting Expresscard and USB like this. Hope it helps.

3RYL, YOON2002 and nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
YOON2002
(@yoon2002)

Did you make a PCB off of this schematic? Or did you manually solder the pins using wires?

ReplyQuote
Jero
 Jero
(@jero)

I haven't made the pcb yet, but I plan to do so. I don't have much time right now. I have measuerd traces with multimeter on my previous board, so it should be correct.

ReplyQuote
diyman
(@diyman)
Eminent Member

Very nice, congratulation!  🙂 

If you can make it, make a PCB that you can solder a solderable USB 3.0 socket. (make holes in the PCB).
Thanks for the precise drawing too!

2012 14" HP 8470p + GTX560/[email protected] + $7 eGPU (EC2 MOD)

2012 14" HP EliteBook 8470P [3rd,2C,M] + 9600 GT @ 4Gbps-EC2 (PCE164P-N03) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Risebell
(@risebell)

Hey there!
Thanks for sharing the drawing. I am attempting to build such an adapter myself and have pretty much the same parts as you do, except for a slight difference on the mpcie side...
IMG_20180930_173956 IMG_20180930_174103
As you can see the top most pin on the top side is not connected. Will that potentially be a problem? What exactly does the bridge at "R2" in your drawing do?
Also, do you have any tips about how to solder this? You showed it's possible, but I am just a soldering noob and those pins are damn small...
Thanks again!

ReplyQuote
hkesoglu
(@hkesoglu)

Hello everybody, i have elitebook 2570p and i will try this project. I am confused about pins. I saw this comment.

pin1 - WAKE
pin2 - REFCLK +
pin3 - REFCLK-
pin4 - PERST

Second pin connect to REFCLK- or REFCLK+ ?

Thank you.

ReplyQuote
Jero
 Jero
(@jero)

Posted by: hkesoglu

Hello everybody, i have elitebook 2570p and i will try this project. I am confused about pins. I saw this comment.

pin1 - WAKE
pin2 - REFCLK +
pin3 - REFCLK-
pin4 - PERST

Second pin connect to REFCLK- or REFCLK+ ?

Thank you.

I made my project public, so you can look into it closely. Take a look here: https://easyeda.com/jarda.stepan/EC2USB
USB pins are connected this way:
pin1 - WAKE#
pin2 - REFCLK-
pin3 - REFCLK+
pin4 - PERST#
pin5 - PETp0
pin6 - PETn0
pin7 - GND
pin8 - PERp0
pin9 - PERn0

I have measured the traces on USB Riser cards and designed it the same way. You can expect the average performance (about 370 MiB/s). I have designed the PCB as a replacement for Expresscard USB3 extension. You can take a look at the pictures.

20180917 165338(1)
20180917 180448(1)
20180917 180629(1)
20180917 180747(1)

Moussa Bayou, 3RYL, Risebell and 2 people liked
ReplyQuote
 of  14