2012 14" Thinkpad T430 + [email protected] (EXP GDC Beast 8.4d) + Win10 [ursubpar]
As far as I am aware, this is the first expresscard RTX 20xx eGPU guide with no errors on the newest nvidia drivers.
Comp: Thinkpad T430 (no dgpu) (i7 3740QM, 12GB ram, win10pro, GPT formatted, UEFI)
eGPU: MSI RTX 2070 Duke
Adapter: EC2 EXP GDP Beast v8.4d with EVGA 600w PSU
Things I wanted:
Ease of connection and disconnection with Lenovo Dock and Egpu dock, seamless boot with UEFI (used setup 1.35 at first, but I found clover to be neater since the boot sequence shows only the default lenovo boot splash and the spinning windows boot icon), Works seamlessly with newest nvidia drivers.
1. Setup and connect gpu to power and dock. ATX switch on.
2. Connect egpu to computer after the UEFI boot splash screen. Install newest nvidia drivers. Connecting the expresscard adapter before booting causes the computer to hang at the uefi splash screen.
3. Error 12 will occur. Apply nando's DSDT Error 12 fix with the Microsoft method. Follow the instructions on loading the DSDT fix with clover. Without modification, Clover will not boot by default at first after installing, use BOOTICE to add clover to windows boot (UEFI -> edit boot entries -> add clover to boot entries above windows boot manager) config:
4. (Optional) Edit clover configuration file to skip the clover EFI loader and boot directly into windows. With this modification your boot time will be impacted the least and you will never have to see Clover's GUI in order to load the dsdt fix.
In your mounted EFI partition (s:), navigate to your mounted partition by (right clicking the taskbar -> file -> run new task -> browse) and modify the config.plist (EFI/CLOVER/config.plist) with notepad++
<key>Timeout</key> <integer>5</integer>set the timeout to 0 It should look like this
5. (Possibly optional) I had problems with error 43 at first, so I installed nando's error 43 fix. I continued to have error 43 and found that the problem was that my GPU was not properly getting power. It's possible that this fix may not be necessary at all.
6. Disable intel HD graphics in device manager and set to display on external display only. Using internal display with egpu will impact performance.
You will be limited by pcie bandwidth
Disconnecting the egpu will lead to blue screen, you must re enable intel graphics and disable egpu to disconnect without bluescreen.
btw can you do a benchmark and post here when you are using internal display and compare it with the benchmark when using external display?
i really want to know about it since i have lenovo T540p with express card too
Yes please benchmark it with 3dmark firestrike, i want to know how much the botleneck with that..
Do you have the latest bios on your t430 or it has some old version?
I just asking, because with other cards usually no problem with error12 in uefi mode.
Also if CSM (Compatibility Support Module) option is enabled in the bios where you selected uefi boot mode, try to disable it. With uefi only mode, you may get rid of hanging on logo screet while booting with card connected.
T430 (bios v2.78) + Exp gdc 8.4 EC + gtx 1050 + atx psu
Can you run some benchmark with engine valley and engine heaven? Also, why did you buy such a powerful gpu with a limited thunderbolt connection?