Setup & Software Discussions
2012 15" Lenovo Ideapad Z570 [2nd,2C,M] + R7 [email protected] (EXP GDC 8.5) + W...

2012 15" Lenovo Ideapad Z570 [2nd,2C,M] + R7 [email protected] (EXP GDC 8.5) + Win7 [viren chocha]  

RSS

(@viren_chocha)

System specs 

Lenovo Ideapad Z570 core-i5 2430M   + 15.6 inch, core-i5, Intel HD3000 (Built in), msi AMD R7 240, 2GBDDR3, PCI-E 3.0, Windows 7

eGPU hardware (eGPU enclosure, video card, any third-party TB3 cable, any custom mods)

EXP GDC V8.5 running R7 240 over LG 27MK600M-B 27" Full HD IPS Monitor with Radeon FreeSync 

Q : Why so low spec card ?

A : I am not new to computing but new to this kind of experimentation. My clan is know for business acumen ship and its ethics says 'fail fast, fail cheap, try for improvement'. Hence, low cost card before trying high end but enough capable to be on test environment

Q: Why AMD ?

A : Several reasons

1. That dreaded error 43. I am afraid other error might keep on cropping up with nVidia. However, thanks to Nando. It is resolved.
  2. AMD cards are used for crypto currency mining for a reason - awesome performance at low cost. Those nerds could not be wrong.
  3. AMD offers FreeSync. FreeSync compatible monitor of same size is low cost as compared to same version GSync (nVidia technology) monitor. Hence again, cost factor. Moreover, GSync and FreeSync are incompatible. So, if you buy nVidia - it's a honeytrap. You have to have GSync compatible monitor for gaming experince. There are several FreeSync monitors though which nVidia supports over GSync. But dust yet to settle on this topic.

Q : What is the most fundamental mistake an user can make with EXP GDC set up ?

A : So you got the EXP GDC Beast, you got external ATX power supply, you connect them and gasp..it did not work ! . The dock in fact forces your power supply to stop - may be with  a blink of LED is visible on doc. What's going on ? Here is the solution, read on...

The ATX power supply comes with a few 8 pin connectors and a 24pin connector. Issue is this 24 pin connector is actually 20+4 i.e. with a slight observation you will be able to locate a parting line on 24 pin connector. Press on a corner while holding will split it in to 20+4 connectors. Voila ! You have it. But now problem starts....you connect the 20 pin male (of PS) to  20 pin female of doc and 04 pin male (of PS) to 04 pin female of doc. This 04 pin to 04 pin connection is the most fundamental issue. Do not connect the 04 pins you have splitted from 24 pin connector. What you need to do is find 08 pin supply from bunch of cables from ATX which could be again split in to two separate 4+4 pins. Pick up one such 04 pin and connect to EXP GDC doc. That's it ...It should work now.

Q : What are baby steps ?

A : Check some of vidoes on internet before going through following text. You will see that all videos tell is "this is my laptop, this is EXP GDC, click ! connect graphics card to GDC, this is how i will connect my mPCIe cable in laptop after removing wifi card, connect 20 pin ATX and 04 pin power to GDC, connect external monitor to GDC, power up everything....Yippeee! Bob is your uncle and you have external graphic card running your favorite game on external screen."

Sounds good , isn't it ? But life is not fair. After your card is detected on your laptop (of course ! you have to open up back of your laptop, sacrifice your internal wifi to computer god, put in mPCI to HDMI cord supplied with your EXP GDC, connect graphics card to GDC). You mostly likely end up with an exclamation mark on your device manager screen. On top of that, you will notice that your OS has become a drag suddenly and you are about to bonk your head on laptop.

To be or not to be situation....

Ok....so now you will roll on sleeve, you will right click on the exclamation mark icon go to properties and there you have it....Error 12....Congratulations ! You are on right track actually. So again search on internet for resolution and you land up on eGPU.io. Now this is a geeky site where people come for confessing sins they have committed with their system. Error 12 , 31 , 43 ...you name it and in any combination....amd, nvidia, lenovo, dell, mac, window7,10,xp  etc etc and they hope to find exact solution to their problem. Now this is big issue, because it is very unlikely to find exact match. Ultimately, you land up with a page called sort of 'Solve all your errors' and you think that 'at last ! Buddha is smiling'. You do dsdt editing, intel method, microsoft method, load - unload dsdt, reboot laptop and reboot and reboot......yep, Buddha is smiling on your ignorance. Finally, there is a moment of truth...editing the dsdt etc is not your cup of tea.

Now what ? You have spent bucks on EXP GDC, a graphic card, a Power supply and most probably a monitor also. All your dream sublime in thin air.

This is when Nando the Ninja (no  exaggeration ) comes into picture. He is actually god send for eGPU enthu. Put in a donation for keeping his coffee hot and the community alive for  kicking some a.. ! . You will get a quickest response of a software he created from scratch which will resolve your error 12 to start with.

Now actually Nando is superstar (oh ! and so are macEditor,  itsage and   goalque as well..no bias ). His software is quite geeky actually and he better have some novice friendly version of help. Any how I will just give you a glimpse into the software.

The key once you lunch the software is 'compacting scheme' You have to try different schemes till one works for you. Opps ! you did n't got the meaning of last sentence i wrote but believe me once you used nando's software you definitely will.

So finally....after all this trouble....I could install the AMD card and even upgrade the software also.

Now get the monitor... and there you go again....search and scroll a plethora of internet page for most suitable bridegroom for your baby...lol..and you selected...lo and behold...the monitor arrives and you find out that it supports GSync....Wow...! your dream of playing game is seconds away....

Again life is not fair....You have AMD Card which supports FreeSync (mine AMD R7 240 card even not supporing GSync....who cares for trial ) purpose) and you purchased monitor with GSync. Bad Idea !

This topic was modified 2 weeks ago

Laptop:Lenovo Ideapad Z570; 8 GB RAM, Exp GDC V8.5; Present : R7 240; Future : RX 570

ReplyQuote