2012 15" ASUS N56VM (GT630M) [3rd,2C,M] + GTX 1060 @ 4Gbps-mPCIe2 (EXP GDC 8.4) ...

Notifications
Clear all

2012 15" ASUS N56VM (GT630M) [3rd,2C,M] + GTX 1060 @ 4Gbps-mPCIe2 (EXP GDC 8.4) + Win7 [ZodiusInfuser]  

of  2
  RSS

bacman
(@bacman)

Have a question here, with this setup can you plug in an external monitor? and how does it behave?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
emgagb
(@emgagb)

Hi ! I have a similar laptop (N56VJ) and I can't get my setup working. Im using the V8.0 EXP BEAST and an AMD R7 360. My PSU fan starts (ATX PSU) for about 3 seconds and then stops, the exp beast led turns green but the GPU fan never starts. Also my device doesn't get recognised in device manager. Did you change some settings in the BIOS to get it working ? Thanks !

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
travisify
(@travisify)

Posted by: emgagb

Hi ! I have a similar laptop (N56VJ) and I can't get my setup working. Im using the V8.0 EXP BEAST and an AMD R7 360. My PSU fan starts (ATX PSU) for about 3 seconds and then stops, the exp beast led turns green but the GPU fan never starts. Also my device doesn't get recognised in device manager. Did you change some settings in the BIOS to get it working ? Thanks !

Have you managed to get your setup working?

ReplyQuote
Cosimo Cervicato
(@cosimo_cervicato)

@zodiusinfuser, hi bro nice to speak to u....right it's about 2 days I'm trying that I followed step by step every thing...game won't start...soon as I switch on gt630 game starts and nvidia panel too..if I switch off xeon....my egpu which is a geforce gtx1070 gets error 43..any suggestions? 

ReplyQuote
felkaram
(@felkaram)

Software Setup

The software for this laptop is relatively straightforward, except for one complication related to disabling the built in GT630M so that NVIDIA Optimus would use the eGPU. See, although DIY eGPU Setup 1.35 can be used to perform this task, the Win 7 install that came with my laptop is an odd hybrid between MBR and UEFI that Setup 1.35 just cannot chainload in to. After exchanging messages with Nando, it turns out the solution for this laptop is to simply disable the PCI bus connection that the dGPU is connected to in Windows Device Manager, causing the dGPU to disappear. In my case the device to disable was the "Xeon(R) processor E3-1200 v2/3rd Gen Core processor PCI Express Root Port - 0151"

First of all, thank you very much for sharing your experience.

This definetly gives me some light set this up on my lap.

I've an ASUS N550JV with similar specs (i7-4700HQ 4th 4C), 8Mb RAM and a Geforce 750M dedicated.

I've also the PCE164P-N03 Ver 006C adapter.

I would like to try an Geforce 1050ti or 1060 as you did on mine, but I read about the issues they may show, so its preferable to try 900 series or below, right? What do you think about this question?

And about the software procedure you did, I'm on windows 10, do you think to disable the 750m is necessary both steps, 1. Software DIY Setup and 2. Disabling on Windos Device Managar, or only one or antoher?

If @ZodiusInfuser have any thoughts on this, I really appreciate too. 

Thanks again.

ReplyQuote
Cosimo Cervicato
(@cosimo_cervicato)

@zodiusinfuser, I've got exactly the same setup only difference I've installed W10 on my asus and im trying to install egpu nvidia gtx1070 i followed step by step your method and after a month of trying with different drivers im still getting error 43! Ive managed to get rid of it with nvidia error 43 fixer 113 but every time i run a game the laptop reboots or if I switch it off and back on the error comes back! Just yesterday I've bought from Nando setup 1.35 im gonna try that now! Do u have any suggestions?

ReplyQuote
stuff.around
(@stuff-around)

@cosimo_cervicato, hello for the error 43 I think you should try the Fix from @nando4 if you have not already tried:

https://egpu.io/forums/expresscard-mpcie-m-2-adapters/script-nvidia-error43-fixer/

For the reboot issued, if you have an Asus N56 or similar (I have an Asus N56VZ), I suggest to jump start the power supply (see here how to Jump Start https://egpu.io/forums/expresscard-mpcie-m-2-adapters/exp-gdc-beast-does-not-power-on/) be careful to don't jump wrong pins anyway.

I suggest you to Jump start the power supply, because I did it, to debug the issue of the reboot which even in my system was present. 

With the jump start you should see a BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) when the problem occurs like the following:

The error code is VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE (or SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED with specified the .sys file of the Nvidia Driver) and it is caused by the EXP GDC Beast which is too sensitive to noise introduced in the house electrical system by for example fridge or other stuff which can cause "current spikes" on the electrical system of the house. This noise from the power cable of the PSU is transferred to the  EXP GDC  (through the power cable from the PSU and the  EXP GDC ) and the  EXP GDC  crash generating the VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE Blue Screen of Death.

So if you have this kind of problem there are different level of mitigation (that you can find in this wonderfull forum):

1. insert ferrite beads ( see here https://egpu.io/forums/expresscard-mpcie-m-2-adapters/too-sensitive-egou-beast/).

2. using aluminium foil all over the data cables ( see here https://egpu.io/forums/expresscard-mpcie-m-2-adapters/help-switching-on-room-light-freezes-my-laptop/).

3. my solution which solved for me the problem: using the ferrite beads + using an UPS with AVR (Automatic Voltage Regulator). The Automatic Voltage Regulator is the one that decouple the voltage received by the Power Supply from the Voltage that you get from the Wall Plug. In this way no external noise will be inducted to the EXP GDC.

The problem of my solution is that is quite expensive around 250€ for a good AVR (with UPS) but you know that you System (Laptop +eGPU) is well enough protected from the instability or noise of the electric system of your house.

If you want for more details you can see my build.

Anyway for me it took since the end of November 2020 to find a solution.

I hope this reply can help you.

Thanks 

Bye

This post was modified 4 weeks ago
2012 15" ASUS N56VZ (GT650M) [3rd,4C,Q] + GTX 1660 Super @ 4Gbps-mPCIe2 (EXP GDC 8.5c) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
 of  2