2012 15" MacBook Pro Retina (GT650M) [3rd,4C,Q] + GTX 1070 @ 10Gbps-TB1>TB3 (AKi...

Notifications
Clear all

2012 15" MacBook Pro Retina (GT650M) [3rd,4C,Q] + GTX 1070 @ 10Gbps-TB1>TB3 (AKiTiO Node) + macOS 10.13 & Win10 [ozzy]  

of  2
  RSS

egee
 egee
(@egee)

@nando4...thanks for the quick reply.  It does not look like that worked.  Out of 3 tries, two went to a pixelated screen and the both the external and internal screens black and one time it just booted normally, but still with error 35.

IMG 0920
IMG 0919

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
ozzy
 ozzy
(@ozzy)
Estimable Member

You might need to let it sit for 5-10 minutes when the screen is black before it comes back to life.  I seem to remember it taking a while...

2012 15" MacBook Pro Retina (GT650M) [3rd,4C,Q] + GTX 1070 @ 10Gbps-TB1>TB3 (AKiTiO Node) + macOS 10.13 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
superbkriz
(@superbkriz)

Hi Ozzy,

I have exactly the same hardware, akitio node, MacBook pro retina 2012 and GTX 1070. The setup works fine in MacOS following your step. However the trouble is in Windows. My window has never been able to detect my GTX 1070 under the "Device Manager", even though I have tried everything about hotplugging as descripted in another post. I would like to know how you get the windows to even show your 1070 under Device Manager? 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
ari
 ari
(@ari)

same setup here, im not interested in windows. but im experiencing weird partial blackouts on the external screen, the system becomes unresponsive by then. anyone else having such issues? it makes my system really unusable.

ReplyQuote
Kyrio
(@kyrio)

@sh@dow
@egee
@superbkriz

If you're still having trouble, I have a little more detailed guide over here. Feel free to try it.

@ari

I think an exerpt from the system log would be helpful. I do have kernel panics with my setup from time to time in macOS :).

2012 15" MacBook Pro (GT650M) [3rd,4C,Q] + GTX 970 @ 10Gbps-TB1 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + macOS 10.12 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
teddytwonecklace
(@teddytwonecklace)

Hello and thank you for this post.

I saw this about a month ago, followed the instructions as I have the exact same setup- minus .3GHz on my i7 and I purchased a premade box from Aorus (1070). Your instructions are clear, concise, and to the point- so thanks for the in depth post on how you made this work. 

Two days ago I purchased an external audio interface device (Scarlett i2i) and a pair of external monitors (Yamaha HS5 speakers). I changed the external audio source input and output to the Scarlett device) within the System Preferences. All was good, I played Guild Wars 2 for a few hours; and messed around in Ableton for another few hours. I went to bed and left the setup on, like I usually do. However I left it connected to the internet, which I don't usually do overnight.

Anyway, I woke up and restarted my computer as the external screen was not showing picture when I turned on the Samsung display connected to my eGPU. The lights and fans were working like normal in my eGPU box so I decided to restart the system. After restarting and toggling options within the NVIDIA web driver panel several times, the Samsung screen still would not show anything from my eGPU. To add insult to injury, my screen was tearing doing simple tasks on my MBP, a sign the driver isn't working correctly. 

I have had the screen tearing happen before and it was always fixed by toggling from onboard to the web driver via the NVIDIA control panel- then restarting. However, this time, switching did nothing. So I chose to uninstall the driver and see what happened. Upon reboot, I became stuck on the black Apple loading screen. 

So, I launched recovery, connected my external hard drive- which conveniently had Mavericks on it from 2015 - and reinstalled the OS. Ten hours later on a terrible satellite internet connection I was up to date with High Sierra. It should be noted that I was using the above instructions and avoiding any update to High Sierra with success, instead running the last stable build of OS Sierra (released 2 months ago).

With High Sierra running I tried these instructions again and was warned with this:

The NVIDIA Web Driver Installer has encountered a problem.
The Installer has encountered an issue with your system and the NVIDIA Web Driver may not install properly. Click Continue to proceed or click Cancel to abort the installation process.

Naturally, being curious, I chose to install it. 

And I was back stuck on the black Apple loading screen. Rebooted into recovery and first wiped my SDD, then did a fresh install of OS High Sierra (again). The computer now works as it should, however I was presented with the same warning from above when trying to get my eGPU to work. I chose not to proceed the second time around. 

After reading around here and tonymacx68's forum I came across two possible reasons why my eGPU chose to stop working overnight. First, and I apologize I can't remember where the post is, another user a few days back had written a detailed description of a crash/error report of some kind. Another user traced the error to a MIKEY kext file, or something along those lines (I'll update this once I find the post), which was an audio driver issue if I remember correctly. So is having just added the Scarlett 2i2 external USB audio interface (external sound card), causing the eGPU to all of the sudden to stop working? Or do you think my computer downloaded High Sierra or something overnight and installed it somehow? The second option seems highly unlikely as I have automatic updates shut completely off.

Not sure how to proceed if this is the case, as I would like to be able to use both my eGPU and my external audio interface. Right now I am downloading and in the process of downgrading back to Sierra with a clean install, then running this gauntlet again to get the eGPU working again. 

I'll update you on the process but any feedback or tips would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

HP

Harriet C. Pooter

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

Upgraded to macOS10.13

From [APP] NVIDIA eGPU support for High Sierra (NVIDIAEGPUSupport)

Posted by: ozzy

Just want to add my name to the list of successes.

2012 Retina 15" MBP with 650m discrete card, Akitio Node, and nVidia 1070. Works fine on first boot up and ran benchmark that clearly showed eGPU driving the external display.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 (Q M1000M) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @32Gbps-M.2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 1803 // compares M.2 vs TB3 performance inc unoptimized H-CPU BIOS [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Christian -Ses
(@christian3006)

Is hotplugging / hotunplugging with the 2012 Macbook Pro Retina 15inch and a Nvidia card possible or not?

ReplyQuote
ozzy
 ozzy
(@ozzy)
Estimable Member

@Christian I've never been able to get hot-lugging/unplugging to work, but I also haven't really tried very hard. I've always just plugged it in before booting the Mac.

2012 15" MacBook Pro Retina (GT650M) [3rd,4C,Q] + GTX 1070 @ 10Gbps-TB1>TB3 (AKiTiO Node) + macOS 10.13 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
 of  2