2012 15" Asus K55VJ GT635M i5-3210M + [email protected] (EXP GDC 8.4d) + Win10 [survfate]^ // Hot-Plug BIOS mod  

RSS

survfate
(@survfate)
Eminent Member
September 15, 2017 6:05 pm  

Hello guys, this thread would be the showcase / short guide of my implementation on the 1050Ti on the Asus K55VJ (almost identical to the Asus K55VM).

The Laptop Specs:

Asus K55VJ

CPU: Intel Core i5-3210M 2.5 GHz
iGPU: Intel HD Graphics 4000
dGPU: NVIDIA GeForce GT 635M
RAM: Hynix HMT351S6CFR8C-PB Samsung M471B5273CH0-CK0 8GB
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

The eGPU Specs:

eGPU: Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti
Adapter: EXP GDC v8.4d with mPCIe cable
PSU: Dell DA-2
Screen: External

Shorten Implement Steps:

- Remove the WiFi card from the mPCIe port of the K55VJ, plug the mPCIe cable from the laptop to the Beast adapter
- Plug the Dell DA-2 into the Beast adapter, install the 1050Ti on the adapter and plug the DVI cable to the external screen
- Dump the Bios to find the Root Port hosting the WiFi card Hot-Plug variable and using EFI Shell setup_var method to turn it to on
- Boot into Safe Mode and use DDU to remove any leftover Nvidia driver
- Reboot into Windows and disable the PCI Express Root Port hosting the dGPU (NVIDIA GeForce GT 635M)
- Install Nvidia 375.63 Driver using Clean Install in Advanced Setting
- Reboot and use the Ctrl + P to use the external screen with the eGPU or extend both screen with the iGPU

Something else:

- The K55VJ having a card reader slot right next to the mPCIe port, so with a cable that slim and thin enough like the one from the Beast adapter v8.4d, I can get the cable out of the housing very simple without any hard modification to it, just open the back cover, remove the WiFi card and plug the mPCIe cable throught the card reader slot (I'll provide more pictures later)
- While both the ATX and PW switch option are working fine, having the adapter all the time is much more easier to debug everything

Some pictures:

(I'll update the post when I have more time...)

2012 15" Asus K55VJ GT635M i5-3210M + [email protected] (EXP GDC 8.4d) + Win10 // Hot-Plug BIOS mod

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
(@domagoj_hackenberger)
November 17, 2017 11:03 pm  

– Dump the Bios to find the Root Port hosting the WiFi card Hot-Plug variable and using EFI Shell setup_var method to turn it to on

Can someone make this step  simpler to understand it is hard for newbies ^^. 

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
dani_tx
(@dani_tx)
Estimable Member
November 18, 2017 7:05 am  

@Domagoj Hackenberger all the steps that you need to complete the procedure are explained HERE.It's very well explained,read it if you have to several times until you GET IT.There is always risk involved so if you not confident enough i'd suggest you not to even start.

ASUS A53SV: i7-2860QM, 16GB DDR3 running WINDOWS 10 Enterprise LTSB 2016
SSD: SAMSUNG 850 PRO(256GB)+SAMSUNG 850 EVO(120GB)
eGPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW+ PE4C V3.0(mPCIe)+EVGA 650 G3 PSU (internal display ONLY)

ReplyQuote
bruno_fish
(@bruno_fish)
February 21, 2018 5:51 pm  

Hi,

I am also currently trying this setup. I have a Asus k55vj, i7-3630qm nvidia, gt-635m. I didn't change anything in the BIOS. MY friend has a gtx 660ti with which I am testing it and I pulled an OLD power supply from an old pc I had. I installed the dirvers and managed to get the screen to come on the monitor plugged into the external graphics card (move the mouse for a bit) however I kept getting blue screens in windows. It would always blue screen after launching a game for example. I am wondering if I should try and get a better power supply and hope it fixes it. With regards to what you changed in the BIOS what was its purpose? 

Bruno

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote