2012 15" HP Envy DV6 (GT630M) [3rd,4C,Q] + RX 580 @ 4Gbps-mPCIe2 (EXP GDC 8.4) +...

Notifications
Clear all

2012 15" HP Envy DV6 (GT630M) [3rd,4C,Q] + RX 580 @ 4Gbps-mPCIe2 (EXP GDC 8.4) + Win10 [Golden Ratio]  

of  2
  RSS

diamond DOG
(@diamond_dog)

@golden-ratio

HelloI want to set up E-GPU on my Laptop but I learned that I need to disable my old graphics card from the BIOS. For do this,I guess I need to access Advanced Tab on my BIOS. I looked my BIOS settings but I can't see "Advanced Tab" or "UMA Only" or any option. I think I need a cracked BIOS or E-GPU Setup software without using BIOS options or something.  Could you tell me what should I do about BIOS settings?

My Laptop's features;
Laptop Brand and Model : HP Pavilion DV7 Notebook PC 
CPU : Intel® Core™ I7-3610QM @2.30GHz (8CPUs), ~2.3GHz
RAM : 8GB(8192MB) DDR3
BIOS : Insyde H20 F.2E
DirectX version : DirectX 12
Integrated GPU : Intel® HD Graphics 4000 2GB(1792MB)
External GPU : NVIDIA GeForce GT-630M 2GB 128Bit

you can't count us with fingers,we don't run out by massacre.

ReplyQuote
Golden Ratio
(@golden-ratio)

@diamond_dog

my advice to you: if you cannot deactivate the dedicated graphics card in bios, which is not really necessary from my point of view, then you only have the option to do it via the device manager in windows. As shown in my screenshot below. You could then use displaydriveruninstaller to completely uninstall the driver of your 630M. But then you have to make sure that windows does not reinstall the driver via windows update after restarting. Therefore I would simply disable the dGPU in the device manager. This works flawlessly.

Devicemanager
2012 15" HP Envy DV6 (GT630M) [3rd,4C,Q] + RX 580 @ 4Gbps-mPCIe2 (EXP GDC 8.4) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
diamond DOG
(@diamond_dog)

@golden-ratio

Thanks for your information. I'll try your advices,hope it work successfully. The only thing that worries me is the "WiFi card slot" inside the computer,I think I can find it with a little effort. Now I'm waiting Power Supply and E-GPU tool. I'm gonna try all this after the two get here.

ReplyQuote
Golden Ratio
(@golden-ratio)

With my DV6-7200 series, the Wifi slot is on the underside, you only have to remove an L-shaped plastic cover, which is fixed by a small screw. If HP hasn't changed the case design, then this should also be the case with your notebook.

I am looking forward to your experience report. To make it clear once again at this point, it is sufficient, to my knowledge, to deactivate the dGPU in the device manager. I can easily play games, watch videos etc. this way.

2012 15" HP Envy DV6 (GT630M) [3rd,4C,Q] + RX 580 @ 4Gbps-mPCIe2 (EXP GDC 8.4) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
diamond DOG
(@diamond_dog)

@golden-ratio

I opened the bottom cover of the computer and see WiFi Slot. So,you're right HP hasn't change the case design 🙂 . I'll try to tear down WiFi Card and attach the EGPU tool. (Power Supply and EGPU tool hasn't arrive to me yet) I'il write the result here 🙂 

ReplyQuote
travisify
(@travisify)

So, if my calculations are correct, for RX 580 eGPU Setup via mPCI-e v2.0 x1 slot, the graphics card is running with 80~85 percent efficiency if compared with a proper Desktop PC Setup, which is very nice. 😉 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Golden Ratio
(@golden-ratio)

The RX580 ran very well in my case, as you can see in my first post. You can improve the efficiency by undervolting the graphics card. I was able to improve this with my low budget Asus RX 580 and Powercolor RX 480 at least enough to keep the boost clock. Without adapted voltage this was not possible. It is worthwhile in any case. One sees that also very clearly with the power consumption. Unfortunately, due to the low bandwidth in the case of mPCI-e v2.0 x1, you can not use the full potential of the graphics card. But I have no reason to complain, without this great possibility many of us here had no possibility to play current games with old notebooks. 🙂

ReplyQuote
Esteban Santana Vazquez
(@esteban_santana_vazquez)

Hi, your win 10 is in legacy or UEFI mode?, Thanks

Asus G750jx, i7 4700HQ, 16GB, GTX 770m, win 10 64bits installed in ssd. EXP GDC 8.0 with mini pci-e connection, an RX 580 8GB and an ATX of 600w

ReplyQuote
Golden Ratio
(@golden-ratio)

i have used uefi on my notebook. Since I also used the display of the notebook. If you only use an external display (e.g. because the internal one is broken), I recommend legacy, because otherwise you won't have access to the bios and all preboot functions of windows anymore, because UEFI will not show a picture on external screens until windows has finished booting.

This post was modified 1 month ago

ReplyQuote
 of  2