2012 15" MacBook Pro Retina (GT650M) [3rd,4C,Q] + RX 5700 XT @ 10Gbps-TB1>TB3 (R...

Notifications
Clear all

2012 15" MacBook Pro Retina (GT650M) [3rd,4C,Q] + RX 5700 XT @ 10Gbps-TB1>TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + macOS 10.15  

RSS

Gonzini
(@gonzini)

Thank you all for the great help!

System specs

• MacBook Pro Retina 15" Mid 2012 “MacBookPro10,1”
  • 2.3GHz Quad Core i7
  • 16 GB DDR3 1600MHz 
  • Nvidia GT650M 1GB dGPU / Intel HD 4000 iGPU
  • macOS Catalina 10.15.5

eGPU hardware

Installation steps

• Assemble Razer Core X Chroma with the RX5700
  • Disable System Integrity Protection (SIP) in Recovery Mode (hold cmd-R while booting)
  • Install and run purge-wrangler and setup the eGPU (don't connect the eGPU yet! See note below) 
    settings: AMD, no legacy, no ti 
    reboot
  • Install and run purge-nvda and run eGPU Optimizations for AMD eGPUs
    reboot
  • Connect eGPU with Macbook Pro via Thunderbolt cable and Adapter
    eGPU is recognised but the external screen may stay black
  • If the external display stays black disconnect and reconnect the HDMI cable
    voilà!
  • NOTE:
    The system halts almost immediately when connecting the eGPU before running purge-wrangler!
    See also this purge-wrangler issue on GitHub.

Benchmarks

• Geekbench 5.2.0 Tryout for macOS x86 (64-bit)
    OpenCL Score: 35550
    Metal Score: 36870
  • Cinebench R20
    OpenGL Score: 1008
    This seems too low (even with the "prefer ecternal GPU" option was checked before launch)
  • Unigine Valley 1.0
    Score: 1927
  • Basemark GPU 1.2 High settings
    Metal Score: 5475
    I couldn't run it on the external display so it ran at 3840x2160 on the Retina screen…

Out of curiosity I downloaded and played Alien Isolation and Mad Max from Steam:
with the graphics settings maxed out in both games (except anti aliasign in Mad Max) they run smooth like butter!
It’s incredible to play games like these on a 2012 Mac!

Comments

• Works surprisingly well for gaming (see comment above)
  • I still have to get behind the low scores in the benchmarks
  • Hot plug and unplug works
  • purge-nvda quirks:
    Sleep mode and brightness control of internal display don't work (uninstall purge-nvda to bring them back)
    Internal display does not switch off in clamshell mode
This topic was modified 1 year ago
2012 15" MacBook Pro Retina (GT650M) [3rd,4C,Q] + RX 5700 XT @ 10Gbps-TB1>TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + macOS 10.15 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
torete
(@torete)

Regarding the additional connections of the Razer Core, haven't you had any problems with the USBs or the additional Ethernet?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Gonzini
(@gonzini)

@torete, I didn't try the ethernet port but I hooked up a keyboard a mouse and a DualShock 4 (via USB) and they work flawlessly… It's like having a docking station (macOS Catalina) with just one cable. 

This post was modified 11 months ago
2012 15" MacBook Pro Retina (GT650M) [3rd,4C,Q] + RX 5700 XT @ 10Gbps-TB1>TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + macOS 10.15 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
xLOOSIDx
(@xloosidx)

@gonzini, Do this make gaming slower? If use a Free Sync monitor would it make FPS higher?

This post was modified 11 months ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Allen Baldwin
(@allen_baldwin)

Any chance you have used this to run FCPX or any video editing software? Are you able to use both screens at once, or do you just use external?

ReplyQuote
Gonzini
(@gonzini)

@xloosidx, This makes gaming very fast…! (I don't understand your question exactly… but the games I tried were spectacular!)

@allen_baldwin, Meanwhile I updated my Macbook to a 16" (plus the eGPU)…
I'm using Davinci Resolve and Screenflow on both screens without any issues…
But with this configuration and macOS Catalina the card is supported natively and works perfectly.
Also: the ports on this machine are much faster so the throughput is now very good. 

ReplyQuote