2012 15" MacBook Pro Retina (GT650M) [3rd,4C,Q] + RX 5700 XT @ 10Gbps-TB1>TB3 (R...

Notifications
Clear all

2012 15" MacBook Pro Retina (GT650M) [3rd,4C,Q] + RX 5700 XT @ 10Gbps-TB1>TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + macOS 10.15  

RSS

Gonzini
(@gonzini)

Thank you all for the great help!

System specs

• MacBook Pro Retina 15" Mid 2012 “MacBookPro10,1”
  • 2.3GHz Quad Core i7
  • 16 GB DDR3 1600MHz 
  • Nvidia GT650M 1GB dGPU / Intel HD 4000 iGPU
  • macOS Catalina 10.15.5

eGPU hardware

Installation steps

• Assemble Razer Core X Chroma with the RX5700
  • Disable System Integrity Protection (SIP) in Recovery Mode (hold cmd-R while booting)
  • Install and run purge-wrangler and setup the eGPU (don't connect the eGPU yet! See note below) 
    settings: AMD, no legacy, no ti 
    reboot
  • Install and run purge-nvda and run eGPU Optimizations for AMD eGPUs
    reboot
  • Connect eGPU with Macbook Pro via Thunderbolt cable and Adapter
    eGPU is recognised but the external screen may stay black
  • If the external display stays black disconnect and reconnect the HDMI cable
    voilà!
  • NOTE:
    The system halts almost immediately when connecting the eGPU before running purge-wrangler!
    See also this purge-wrangler issue on GitHub.

Benchmarks

• Geekbench 5.2.0 Tryout for macOS x86 (64-bit)
    OpenCL Score: 35550
    Metal Score: 36870
  • Cinebench R20
    OpenGL Score: 1008
    This seems too low (even with the "prefer ecternal GPU" option was checked before launch)
  • Unigine Valley 1.0
    Score: 1927
  • Basemark GPU 1.2 High settings
    Metal Score: 5475
    I couldn't run it on the external display so it ran at 3840x2160 on the Retina screen…

Out of curiosity I downloaded and played Alien Isolation and Mad Max from Steam:
with the graphics settings maxed out in both games (except anti aliasign in Mad Max) they run smooth like butter!
It’s incredible to play games like these on a 2012 Mac!

Comments

• Works surprisingly well for gaming (see comment above)
  • I still have to get behind the low scores in the benchmarks
  • Hot plug and unplug works
  • purge-nvda quirks:
    Sleep mode and brightness control of internal display don't work (uninstall purge-nvda to bring them back)
    Internal display does not switch off in clamshell mode
This topic was modified 3 months ago
2012 15" MacBook Pro Retina (GT650M) [3rd,4C,Q] + RX 5700 XT @ 10Gbps-TB1>TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + macOS 10.15 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
torete
(@torete)

Regarding the additional connections of the Razer Core, haven't you had any problems with the USBs or the additional Ethernet?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Gonzini
(@gonzini)

@torete, I didn't try the ethernet port but I hooked up a keyboard a mouse and a DualShock 4 (via USB) and they work flawlessly… It's like having a docking station (macOS Catalina) with just one cable. 

This post was modified 4 weeks ago
2012 15" MacBook Pro Retina (GT650M) [3rd,4C,Q] + RX 5700 XT @ 10Gbps-TB1>TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + macOS 10.15 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
xLOOSIDx
(@xloosidx)

@gonzini, Do this make gaming slower? If use a Free Sync monitor would it make FPS higher?

This post was modified 2 weeks ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote