2012 21.5" iMac GT640M + [email protected] (AKiTiO Node via TB3->TB2 adapter) + Win10 1803 [mrgeque] // non-iGPU system with eGPU accelerated internal LCD  

RSS

mrgeque
(@mrgeque)
Eminent Member
May 17, 2018 8:16 pm  

nando4>> This is the first confirmed example of a non-iGPU system with an eGPU accelerated internal LCD. The key here is Window's 1803 enabling this feature. Previous Windows versions required Nvidia Optimus or AMD X-Connect to achieve such acceleration which required a iGPU and saw vendors enable/remove the feature at their discretion.

System specs
2012 21.5 iMac, Upgraded i7 3770k 3.5ghz, 16gb ram, 1TB HD no iGpu, dGPU:GT 640M, Windows 10 1803

eGPU hardware
Akitio Node TB3, Gigabyte Aorus Xtreme GTX 1080ti 11gb, Apple Tb3-TB2 adapter, Added Corsair Sf450 PSU for additional power

Installation
Windows installation; i did not upgrade from 1709 (when i tried this way i was up for 2 days trying to get my egpu back working). I did clean install from disc

without egpu attached, let windows complete all the updates. After all updates were finished, I proceeded to uninstall all display drivers using ddu.

Rebooted with gpu attached and installed the latest GeForce drivers

Since the iMac internal screen is maxed at 59hz refresh rate, benchmarks capped at 60fps

Gaming benchmark screenshots and videos

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

goalque, theitsage and nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
Juan C. Yunis
(@juan_c_yunis)
Estimable Member
June 5, 2018 2:50 am  

@mrgeque so that means I should be able to delete all GPU drivers of my 2017 15" MBP, boot with iGPU, temporarily disable the dGPU, install drivers for my eGPU with an AMD VEGA FE card, then enable dGPU and reboot, having the dGPU handling the internal LCD without drivers and having the eGPU handling the external monitor and close the lid and use it in clamshell mode. Right?

Also I should be able to accelerate the Internal LCD with the eGPU and no external monitor. Right?

2017 MBP 15″ RP560 + Mantiz Venus + AMD Radeon Pro VEGA Frontier Edition

ReplyQuote
mrgeque
(@mrgeque)
Eminent Member
June 7, 2018 5:25 am  

if you successfully had egpu working in windows 10, You should be able to accomplish what youre trying to do. However, you are using a totally different setup than me so im not completely sure

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
shibbz101
(@shibbz101)
July 10, 2018 3:33 am  

Sweet set up and thanks for sharing your build. I am looking at doing something very similar with my 2013 21" iMac. I have a 4K monitor as well and I'm wondering if I will be able to push 4K from the eGPU even when the older iMacs like ours can't display it natively...?

ReplyQuote
Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)
Prominent Member Moderator
July 14, 2018 6:14 am  
Posted by: shibbz101

Sweet set up and thanks for sharing your build. I am looking at doing something very similar with my 2013 21" iMac. I have a 4K monitor as well and I'm wondering if I will be able to push 4K from the eGPU even when the older iMacs like ours can't display it natively...?

Isn't a 2013 iMac a Thunderbolt2 system? If it has TB2 then you should be able to drive 4K60hz using the DisplayPort 1.2 functionality of Thunderbolt2. If it isn't, then to the next solution 🙂

I can't comment on the OS X side of things, but Windows-wise, yes: If you use an eGPU, your max resolution depends on the eGPU itself, not the original system's limitation.

I have an old T430s which I use to drive a 4K TV via an eGPU. The T430s doesn't have any ability to run 4K60hz as it is a Thunderbolt1 system and lacks any other outputs that can support the required bandwidth. By using an eGPU, I am able to push 4K60hz via a Thunderbolt1 port.

My eGPU Zoo - Link to my Implementations.
Want to output [email protected] out of an old system on the cheap? Read here.
"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."- Robert A. Heinlein, "Time Enough for Love."

ReplyQuote
ryegeleye
(@ryegeleye)
July 27, 2018 1:39 am  

Mrgeque, you're the first person who's published a build on a system like this - Thunderbolt 1 on an iMac with no-iGPU (or that's disabled by firmware) with an Nvidia dGPU. Are you able to use the eGPU in both macOS and Windows 10? Does it work with an external monitor as well? Do the scripts to enable Nvidia eGPUs work? The requirements for them have always noted that an active iGPU was required for systems with an Nvidia dGPU.

Thanks for your time.

ReplyQuote
mrgeque
(@mrgeque)
Eminent Member
August 27, 2018 5:26 pm  
Posted by: ryegeleye

Mrgeque, you're the first person who's published a build on a system like this - Thunderbolt 1 on an iMac with no-iGPU (or that's disabled by firmware) with an Nvidia dGPU. Are you able to use the eGPU in both macOS and Windows 10? Does it work with an external monitor as well? Do the scripts to enable Nvidia eGPUs work? The requirements for them have always noted that an active iGPU was required for systems with an Nvidia dGPU.

Thanks for your time.

Sorry for late reply I was on vacation. Yes to all your questions. I use in both Mac and windows OS. Yes the scripts found in this forum work for nvidia cards. And yes active igpu was required in previous versions of Windows 10. Since release of Windows 10 1803, igpu is no longer REQUIRED to run native screen using egpu

ReplyQuote
Research777
(@research777)
September 20, 2018 10:09 am  

Hello!

I have a similar iMac 2012

(i7 3770S; 16Gb RAM; 1TbHDD + 128SSD (Fusion Drive); without iGPU; dGPU: GT650M 512Mb; Win10 (1803). + Aorus Gaming Box GTX1080 -> Tb3 / Tb2 adapter -> 2m TB2 / 1 Cable -> TB1 port iMac

Since the beginning I have had problems with UEFI installing Windows. As it turned out, the problem was in the organization of FusionDrive, with this thing it's impossible to put Windows Uefi on a separate partition of the disk. The problem solved by removing FusionDrive (SSD128 for Mac, 1TBHDD: 800Gb for MacOS, 200 Gb for Windows).

Now there is a problem with the device definition when loading Windows.

The sequence of actions was as follows:

1) Installed Windows with all updates

2) Installed the BootCamp driver package

3) Removed the Nvidia drivers with DDU

4) Turned off iMac and connected eGPU

5) launched Windows and installed the latest drivers for Nvidia.

The eGPU has decided.

But the subsequent booting of Windows with the connected eGPU produces an error when loading.

Without the eGPU, Windows is loaded normally.

Maybe I missed something, help please!

ReplyQuote
frnkle
(@frnkle)
October 2, 2018 11:12 am  

Hi, thanks for sharing your setup!

do you or does anyone else know if I can use the AORUS GTX 1070 Gaming Box as well ?
Second, can I use other graphic cards ?

ReplyQuote
(@rony_ultron_al)
October 17, 2018 11:51 am  

hi I have the imac 21 Inch, late 2012 gt 650m 512mb and bootcamp actual Windows 10 Version 1803 and Need some help.

I am a bit confused, can you please explain how you isntalled the egpu und new Drivers? Do I Need to install the Drivers on mac os too or have I to install any Special Tools for it?
I just Need it for Windows only (and if this works without installing on mac os, if I I go into the mac os, would be everything fine with the gt650 m?) And if I understood Right, it is not required anymore to use a second screen?

ReplyQuote
esatamacmodular
(@esatamacmodular)
Trusted Member
October 28, 2018 2:49 am  
Posted by: Rony “Ultron” Al

hi I have the imac 21 Inch, late 2012 gt 650m 512mb and bootcamp actual Windows 10 Version 1803 and Need some help.

I am a bit confused, can you please explain how you isntalled the egpu und new Drivers? Do I Need to install the Drivers on mac os too or have I to install any Special Tools for it?
I just Need it for Windows only (and if this works without installing on mac os, if I I go into the mac os, would be everything fine with the gt650 m?) And if I understood Right, it is not required anymore to use a second screen?

I think you can mess with graphics drivers (uninstall / install) on windows 10 bootcamped without worrying about hurting osx drivers.

iMac 2013 10.14.1, Macbook Air 2013 10.11, MBP 2016 13" 10.13.6 , HP 4530s 10.11, node lite, DA-2 PSU w/mod, PE4L 2.1b expresscard34, GTX460,1050Ti,1060,1070/Ti RX470,560,580

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Estimable Member

ReplyQuote