2012 Mac Mini [3rd,4C,Q] + RX 460 @ 10Gbps-TB1 (Atto Thunderlink) + macOS 10.15....

Notifications
Clear all

2012 Mac Mini [3rd,4C,Q] + RX 460 @ 10Gbps-TB1 (Atto Thunderlink) + macOS 10.15.4 [Mr.Bombastic]  

RSS

Mr.Bombastic
(@mr-bombastic)

System specs

• Mac mini (Late 2012/Server - BTO/CTO)
  • 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7-3720QM
  • 16GB Elpida RAM
  • Samsung 860 EVO SATA III 2.5inch SSD 250 GB

eGPU hardware

• OEM HP Radeon RX 460 2GB (somehow came unlocked to 1024 shaders)
  • ATTO ThunderLink™ FC 1082 Desklink™ (as a Thunderbolt 1 enclosure)
  • Akyga Power Supply AK-ND-28 12V / 6.0A 72W 5.5 x 2.5 mm
  • Apple Thunderbolt Cable (2.0 m) - White
  • slight modifications to the ATTO case:
    - drilled new mounting holes for the PCB 20mm closer to the edge so there's actually room for GPU
    - cut 4 holes on the top and glued dust filter from the inside... as intakes for cold air - it was getting too hot inside the case

Hardware pictures

Installation steps

Benchmarks

Not a fan of benchmarks ... and that's propably the first time I actually run one... but here you go:

Comments

Well it's definitely a plus having just 2 cables connected to the Mac mini (Thunderbolt and power cable) ... also there's now more "temperature/power room" for CPU as Intel HD4000 is completely in idle.

However there are some problems I need to solve ... e.g. Chrome not fully using the GPU (Hardware Protected Video Decode: Unavailable)

My monitors also have built-in speakers and they kinda do work over eGPU ... but the behavior is very strange. The sound has a unbearable distortion when both displays are connected.

This topic was modified 6 months ago
2012 Mac Mini [3rd,4C,Q] + RX 460 @ 10Gbps-TB1 (Atto Thunderlink) + macOS 10.15.4 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
hans-st.
(@hans-st)
Trusted Member

@mr-bombastic

I like your build - getting the best out of good basic devices with a lot of creativeness.

THX & Cheers

Now:    2018 Mac Mini (8th,6C,B) + RX 570 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (PowerColor Mini Pro) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 1909
Before: 2014 Mac Mini (4th,2C,U) + GTX 1050 Ti @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (AKiTiO Node Lite) + Win10

2014 Mac Mini [4th,2C,U] + GTX 1050 Ti @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (PowerColor Mini Pro) + Win10 1803 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
network_noob534
(@network_noob534)

Great guide, thank you for making this and for consolidating all the different sources of information!! One question for you however: Are you able to get this working in Bootcamp without issues? If so... do you know how?

Also, the eGPU crashed my 2012 mini Server with Catalina -- had to run purge-wrangler and reboot FIRST and then life was good!

Any tips on Bootcamp would be super duper awesome. 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Mr.Bombastic
(@mr-bombastic)

@hans-st, thank you!

@network_noob534,  sorry for my late response ... I don't visit this forum very often

Well I had to re-run purge-wrangler after the first 10.15.4 update ... the second minor one didn't affect the script

It works under bootcamp but you have to be patient. Also the process of switching between macOS <-> Windows is not really convenient.

Once you have Windows installed and set-up (and possibly Bootcamp assistant and all updates installed) just plug in the eGPU (I don't remember if I've done that while the system was on or off ...). But the thing is you have to have a display connected in HDMI of the mini... so when the system is on and the eGPU is connected you have to run Windows update and scan for updates ... it should install graphics drivers. Then you restart the Windows (I don't remember if I've done that with display still connected directly to the mini - propably yes)... it should now start and switch to eGPU automatically since from what I've observed it's not able to run both HD 4000 and eGPU in bootcamp.
I have two displays so I just connected the second one to eGPU, rearranged those displays in display options in Windows... there were 3 displays shown as it remembered the one from mini's output .. so I just disabled that one.

2012 Mac Mini [3rd,4C,Q] + RX 460 @ 10Gbps-TB1 (Atto Thunderlink) + macOS 10.15.4 [build link]  

ReplyQuote