2012 Mac Mini + RX 580 8G@10Gbps-TB1 (Sonnet Breakaway 350 via TB3->TB2 adapter) + macOS10.13 [shadethegrey]
Running 10.13 on a 2012 mac mini quad i7.
I just received a Sonnet Breakaway 350 enclosure, put an XFX RX 580 Black Core 8G in it, plugged it into an Apple TB3->TB2 adaptor, and hot-plugged it into the mini. It detects it, asks you to logout. Moved HDMI from mac to egpu, display comes back on, logged back in, and it works. Nothing else needed. Borderlands 2 went from 800x600 with everything on low to 1920x1080 with everything on high except for Antialiasing and Anisotropic, which are turned off.
The poor mac has less ram than the video card now.
Hey guys, I'm looking at doing this exact set up with my Mac mini, were you able to run this set up in windows 10 via Bootcamp? I really want it to be able to play games with Steam in Windows 10 and get some more life out of this Mac. Thank you for any help or advice you can offer!
Is this your connect list?
- Mac Mini
- Thunderbolt1/2-Thunderbolt1/2 cable (look like miniDP plugs)
- (usb-C plug) Apple TB3>TB1/2 adapter (Thunderbolt1/2 looks like miniDP socket)
- eGPU enclosure with RX 580
- HDMI - HDMI cable or DisplayPort-DisplayPort cable
- HDMI Monitor or DisplayPort Monitor