2012 Mac Pro (GTX980Ti) [1st,12C,E] + GTX 780 Ti x3 @ 64Gbps-PCIe (Cyclone Backp...

Notifications
Clear all

2012 Mac Pro (GTX980Ti) [1st,12C,E] + GTX 780 Ti x3 @ 64Gbps-PCIe (Cyclone Backplane) + macOS 10.11.6 [hoeveler]  

of  5
  RSS

highpass
(@highpass)
Eminent Member

I feel your pain mate. Really cool though. Thanks for the write up

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

hoeveler liked
ReplyQuote
nickjamesgordon
(@nickjamesgordon)

Posted by: hoeveler
Posted by: highpass

Hey Hoeveler can you confirm how many GPUs you have gotten working and on which os version? I thought the current macOS will only address 3 total.

Hi! I had one GPU internal to the cMP and 3 GPUs on the backplane. I would have been able to fit one more on the backplane but at the time it was mounted inside the Phanteks case. I’ve since moved the backplane onto a wall-mounted Thermaltake Core P3 case where I can fit one more GPU at the bottom edge of the backplane.

Hi, just wondering what GPUs you had working?

I have 3x 1080ti cards, but can't boot when I add a basic monitor card....

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
karthik_rao
(@karthik_rao)

Hi Hoeveler,

I saw a few builds out here, and find yours closest to what I want - thanks for the inspiration!! Request your suggestions and those of others on my plans below:
GPU - single gtx 1080 Ti to use for deep learning.
Host - OptiPlex 7040 desktop (Win 10, i5 6500U, Q170 Chipset),  x16 slot with 16 pcie 3.0 lanes available.  However, the SFF  does not have enough space and power for the 1080 Ti.  
Connector - 50cm pcie cable x16 male to x16 female like this one  https://www.digikey.in/product-detail/en/3m/8KC3-0726-0500/3M12026-ND/3641403 this is just a plain shielded pair cable with connectors, nothing fancy. I plan to plug the male end to my OptiPlex x16 slot, and run the cable out to my DIY enclosure with a 650w ATX power supply and cooling fans. Inside this DIY enclosure, I plan to plug my 1080 Ti into the  female end of the cable.

Will I be  ok with two different powers supplies to my motherboard and my GPU? Will the MoBo detect the GPU if connected this way? Is there an order in which I need to power on the desktop and enclosure? Will 16 PCIe lanes beat the TB3 on bandwidth? Do I need any other cable apart from Pcie from MoBo to GPU?

Seems simple and similar to the BTC miner setups that are so widely used. But then I am a noob, and request more comments from the experts here on issues that I may face.
Thanks a lot
Karthik

ReplyQuote
karthik_rao
(@karthik_rao)

I have been reading scary stuff about two PSU rigs, and isolation and how small differences in voltage and input AC phase could knock out my mobo or card or both. Some people say use powered risers. Some say the powered riser should get power from PSU 1, others say it should get power from PSU 2 that also feeds the GPU.
Not sure what to do, but got me thinking on a simpler option. What if I just replaced my sff enclosure and my puny 240w PSU with an ATX case with great cooling, and a 750w PSU with a great 12v rail etc. I only want 1 GPU for deep learning right now.
Request your thoughts, @hoeveler and other experts.
Thanks, regards
Karthik

ReplyQuote
hoeveler
(@hoeveler)
Eminent Member

I have 3 GPUs now, all 1070s. I could easily put one more in and maybe two.

2012 Mac Pro (GTX980Ti) [1st,12C,E] + GTX 780 Ti x3 @ 64Gbps-PCIe (Cyclone Backplane) + macOS 10.11.6 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
hoeveler
(@hoeveler)
Eminent Member

Hi, I'm a little late to answer, but your solution sounds like a good one. There will be no problem using a second PSU for the external GPU. Just be sure that PCIe extension cable is shielded and intact and you should be ok.

2012 Mac Pro (GTX980Ti) [1st,12C,E] + GTX 780 Ti x3 @ 64Gbps-PCIe (Cyclone Backplane) + macOS 10.11.6 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
hoeveler
(@hoeveler)
Eminent Member

Hi, I'm a little late to answer, but your solution sounds like a good one. There will be no problem using a second PSU for the external GPU. Just be sure that PCIe extension cable is shielded and intact and you should be ok.

ReplyQuote
hoeveler
(@hoeveler)
Eminent Member

I should have read on to your other post here... This is a better solution... Just get a beefier PSU and bigger case and you'll have fewer headaches keeping it all neatly in a big case.

ReplyQuote
karthik_rao
(@karthik_rao)

Thanks @hoeveler , let me see how that goes. Will look for an ATX case with cooling, and around 700w power.

ReplyQuote
Guido
(@guido)

Q:

This post was modified 2 years ago

Mac Pro 5.1 Mac OS 10.11

ReplyQuote
 of  5