2013 14" Lenovo Thinkpad L440 [4th,2C,M] + GTX 660 Ti @ 4Gbps-EC2 (EXP GDC 8.5) ...

Notifications
Clear all

2013 14" Lenovo Thinkpad L440 [4th,2C,M] + GTX 660 Ti @ 4Gbps-EC2 (EXP GDC 8.5) + Win10  

RSS

PiotrSanctuvich
(@piotrsanctuvich)

Hi GPU-folks,

I have a Asus GeForce GTX 600 Ti and a EXP GDC Beast v8.5d over ExpressCard with a Dell DA-2 220 W 8pin PSU and wanted to share my experience with the setup so far. I mostly followed the lead on knon's build, as he uses the same Thinkpad.

System specs

Lenovo L440

• Intel Core i5-4300M (with HD Graphics 4600)
  • 16 GB RAM
  • No dedicated GPU
  • Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am mostly using the Thinkpad in a Lenovo Pro Dock with external hardware such as a FullHD-Display and keyboard/mouse, but on regular occasions enjoy having a full loaded laptop with me in a matter of seconds.

eGPU hardware

ASUS GeForce GTX 660 Ti with 2 GB VRAM

EXP GDC Beast v8.5 with the 34 mm Expresscard-Adapter

used Dell DA-2 220 W power supply

DIY 6 Pin to 2x6 Pin adapter

Installation steps

First I connected the beast to the L440 before turning the machine on, resulting in a black screen and the laptop not booting. Waiting for the laptop to boot past the BIOS and then connecting the eGPU resulted in a GPU venting at maximum speed but getting recognized at all. After switching the PWR to ON on the eGPU adapter, and hotplugging (is this the right term?) the expresscard just after the BIOS, the GPU got recognized as a VGA device and installed drivers on its own, which was OK, I think, because it were already the latest nVidia drivers. I got however the Code 12 error, but managed to work around using the formidable DSDT override instruction with some minor adjustments. I don't really see the typical Large Memory area in my device manager but the override seemed to have worked and I got rid of Code 12 and the card gets detected properly within some specific PCIe-adress intervall, the nVidia Settings shows the spinning 3D logo and I was able to shift to my external display via HDMI.

When starting a 3D application that does a little bit more, I got stability problems. I tried GTA IV and Call of Duty 4 (both that old that one might expect okayish performance on low settings even on the integrated intel HD GPU), but both crashed at high settings.

I changed the PCI-express in the BIOS from version 2.0 to 1.0, that got some stability but also resulted in notecably poorer performance, the FPS of both games at high settings dropped well below an acceptable level.

Open Questions

• The current state does not allow for the ExpressCard to be plugged in before booting the BIOS, even with the beasts PTD switch set all the way to 155. Is there another way than using the sleep mode?
  • Any other ideas to try and get the PCI express v2.0 working with more stability? I don't think that power cable interefences should be a problem, but is the alu foil coverage a thing that works?

Thanks for all the advice in the forum, I really like to have spend 40€ on the beast adapter, 20€ on the PSU, 30€ on a used midrange graphic card from 2012 and like 5€ on additional cables, and in reverse am able to play games on modest settings for a total 85€.

EDIT:

Using dsaul's comprehensive audio issue workaround, I have been able to recover my ability to play sounds again. However, there are still some devices that show the Code 12-error after the dsdt override, such as the Thinkpad clickpad.

This topic was modified 2 weeks ago
2013 14" Lenovo Thinkpad L440 [4th,2C,M] + GTX 660 Ti @ 4Gbps-EC2 (EXP GDC 8.5) + Win10 [build link]  

nando4 and itsage liked
ReplyQuote
Ivan Gojak
(@ivan_gojak)

I experience same thing(crashing on higher demands) and it happens at point when my egpu maxes at 100% for short period of time. Try disconnect everything form ur laptop when u changing graphic settings to allow max bandwidth to egpu, just leave power on. Then gradually put everything back on.

2017 15" Lenovo Ideapad 330-15IKB (MX130) [7th,2C,U] + GTX 1650 @ 4Gbps-M2 (EXP GDC 8.5c ) + Win10 1909 [build link]  

ReplyQuote